Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New KANSAS album, finally...

Quote Originally Posted by Brainforest View Post
    They wouldn't have been signed by InsideOut if it was going to be Native Windows part 2. They're going for a classic (first five albums) Kansas style album. From what I know, it's all very promising.
    Good point, John.

I was hoping to see that they were signed by Frontiers, but InsideOut bodes well, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

they should really consider recording the John Elefante track This Is How The Story Goes.
    Rich & David play on the track and it has Kansas written all over it.
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 09-04-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainforest View Post
    They wouldn't have been signed by InsideOut if it was going to be Native Windows part 2. They're going for a classic (first five albums) Kansas style album. From what I know, it's all very promising.
    I hope you're right...and what you say generally makes sense, but the writers of the music for this album do not have Livgren's indefinable quality that made the Kansas sound. They may try to copy it, but I fear it will come off as a bland or vanilla approach. I really hope to be wrong, but the Greer, Ragsdale, Erhardt and Williams were the creative force behind Native Window...it's not a bad album, just forgettable. As Kansas is really the musical DNA of Kerry Livgren, Native Window is their collective musical DNA.

And when/if this album sounds even as good as Monolith, I will buy it!
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    I really hope to be wrong, but the Greer, Ragsdale, Erhardt and Williams were the creative force behind Native Window...
    We also don't know what Platt and Manion will bring to the table. Williams has said that Platt is a writer in an interview.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

At his peak, Kerry was just a factory of riffs and hooks. Coming up with a good hook or two is not easy. Coming up with memorable riffs might even be harder. I don't know if Kerry even has any gas left in the songwriting tank but it'd be nice he could mentor them a little on coming up with Kansas-type songs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Greer and Manion are able to do much jucier stuff than Native Window.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The song you chose is better than the material on Native Window, but overall, 7th Key still gives me more of the 80's AOR Kansas vibe as opposed to the interesting stuff we hear on earlier "classic" albums. Again, I am not expecting Song for America II or Past the Point of Know Return, but, I am hopeful that they can put something together both hooky and adventurous. It's funny, (speaking of 80's AOR Kansas), but it's the Elefante track above that is closer to what I am hoping from a new album.
    Last edited by Zonefish; 09-04-2015 at 04:09 PM.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

I really like Seventh Key, but if I'm not mistaken it's Mike Slamer who writes the music there, not Greer or Manion.

I'm very curious to hear what this lineup can come up with. I'm sure they'll be aiming for a classic 70s Kansas sound, the question is whether they can convincingly deliver that without Livgren's writing (though even with that 'Somewhere to Elsewhere' never really did anything for me), and if they can make it sound natural rather than a forced attempt at replicating that sound.

They play here tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll be able to make it there in time as I gotta work.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I'm interested. It's an auto-buy. I just hope they realize there's more interest in them making an album that sounds like classic Kansas than one that sounds of the times.

Can't wait for this! It's been a long time coming!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

The boys are doing some good business... But bad for me... I was very excited that they are playing Syracuse (Verona) next month but the show is sold out other than a handful of "wheat and greet" tickets that will be over $200 each once you add all the fees.

What do you all think? Worth it? I might wait to see if they lower those tickets down to a non meet-and-greet price if they don't sell.

I'll be doing cartwheels if it sounds like that Elefante track (without the overt Christian lyrics, I hope).

KANSAS signs worldwide recording deal with InsideOutMusic
    September 1st, 2015
    InsideOut Music is extremely pleased to announce the worldwide signing of legendary US rock group KANSAS for the release of their forthcoming 15th studio album. KANSAS needs no introduction, having sold over 30 million records in their career, as well as achieving 8 gold albums, three sextuple-platinum albums (Leftoverture, Point Of Know Return, The Best Of Kansas), a platinum live album (Two for the Show) and a million-selling gold single (“Dust In The Wind”).

Drummer and founding member Phil Ehart had this to say about the signing:

“In speaking for all the members of KANSAS, we could not be more enthused about signing with InsideOut. They are the greatest Prog music label on the planet and we are very proud to be a part of their stable of artists. It’s our first album of new music in 15 years and we are very happy to be working with the great team at InsideOut.”

InsideOutMusic label-head Thomas Waber adds:
    "We are extremely excited about signing KANSAS, the biggest and most important Prog band to come out of the US! I grew up listening to them and their music is a part of my DNA. Everyone on the team is working hard in making the next studio album count 150% and for it to become an important part in the legacy of this great band. We are very proud to become a part of the journey!"

KANSAS is currently comprised of original drummer Phil Ehart, bassist/vocalist Billy Greer, keyboardist David Manion, lead singer/keyboardist Ronnie Platt, violinist/guitarist David Ragsdale, and original guitarist Richard Williams. They are currently in the midst of an extensive US tour.

KANSAS continues to remain a fixture of Classic Rock radio and has reached a whole new audience through their unmistakable presence on popular video games Rock Band and Guitar Hero, and through their songs inclusion in various television shows such as ‘Supernatural,’ ‘South Park,’ and the films ‘Old School,’ and ‘Anchorman.’

If the first song they've recorded is any indication, it's NOT going to be anything like NatWin.

Quote Originally Posted by ragsfan View Post
    If the first song they've recorded is any indication, it's NOT going to be anything like NatWin.
    ok ragsfan... you can't make a statement like that without some embelishing... so what have you heard?

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

They recorded a song back in June while they had a week or so off, and got it back right before a show I was attending in my home state. One of the guys pulled it up on his computer at the hotel so I could listen. I'm not a musician but I can give it my best shot at describing what I heard. There's a classic Kansas style middle section (couldn't quite put my finger on which song it reminded me of, though) and then there was a second instrumental section that sounded more modern prog to my ears. The vocals were what anyone would expect having seen Ronnie and Billy sing together live, they are both very capable on vocals. The musical style was nothing like Native Window.

They're writing in Nov. and recording in Jan. so they only have the one song thus far but I'm expecting it to only get better as they have more time to mesh in the studio. When I saw the guys later in the summer, they were using their off days for writing, too.

Long time Kansas fan here, that is great news!