Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marillion taking pre-orders for "Album 18"

Marillion taking pre-orders for "Album 18"

Press Release

PledgeMusic Link

From what I can tell, mostly standard stuff, with the disc, download, vinyl formats all available as well as a t-shirt, name in the booklet, deluxe booklet, etc. also there for those who would be interested. I'm a fan of these where they give fans a variety of choices and combinations.

I'm still lukewarm on Sounds That Can't Be Made, Marillion's most recent album, but they rarely make two albums in a row that don't "wow" me, so I'll definitely pre-order.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm in. Weird, these last few years have to be the quietest I recall the boys being in a long, long time. Or have I been so swept up in all the Crimson, Yes, and Wilson activity recently that I just haven't been paying attention? I think it's the former though.

I'm in.

I don't disagree with you on Sounds; that said, the songs I *do* like on the last one, I really liked lots. And overall, their hit/miss ratio is pretty good

I'm in.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I'm in. Weird, these last few years have to be the quietest I recall the boys being in a long, long time. Or have I been so swept up in all the Crimson, Yes, and Wilson activity recently that I just haven't been paying attention? I think it's the former though.
    I think you're right...I wasn't expecting a new album at all. There was talk of the previous sessions being somewhat difficult, as seen in this interview with Steve Rothery on the Innerviews site:

http://www.innerviews.org/inner/marillion4.html

What, no cookies?

They've been hit or miss (mostly miss to my ears) since Marbles. Each album since then has some great moments, but the consistency hasn't been there in a while. They need Dave Meegan back behind the scenes as his direct approach to producing seems to get some of the best results out of the band. Mike Hunter seems to allow them to do their "jamming" thing which to my ears results in a lot of singer/songwriter-y meandering songs without as much focus as before.

With that said, I'll see them next time they venture to this side of the pond and I'll definitely check out any new music they release. I'd also like to get back to another Marillion Weekend.

To be honest, I haven't really been into them much since Marbles. I have a hard time remembering a song from the past two albums.

interested.

I love this band and have supported them financially as much as I can, but Sounds... was a big whiff for me, and Happiness... wasn't much better.

I'm sure they are still an amazing band to see live, but I don't know if they have anything left in the songwriting tank. I don't know that I'm willing to hand over cash sight-unseen (or unheard) on this one.

I perhaps haven't given it enough time, but Sounds That Can't Be Made hasn't thus far struck me as one of their better albums either. Liked a few songs, but there was also some pretty forgettable stuff. And most of the songs were too long IMHO.

Liked Somewhere Else, liked the first disc of Happiness... but the second, not so much.

I loved Sounds That Can't Be Made, apart from the dreary closing track. I've always ordered the deluxe 'campaign' editions before, why stop now? I already have my name in the credits of those other ones, perhaps for fun this time I'll choose some wacky name just to see it listed on an official release.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Seems like just yesterday when I saw the first one on lp and picked it up. Can't believe they're up to number 18. How time flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Possibly I've seen too much
    Album 18, I know too much..."
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I have followed and supported Marillion since 1989 and I intend to do it as long as possible. After Afraid Of Sunlight their output has been patchy IMHO, but I can find very good things on all their albums. Marbles was a highlight to me and so was Sounds. I am reasonably optimistic, and I expect to be surprised in some way. I like the way they still sound fresh and never seem to really repeat themselves.

Upon closer investigation, I see they've gone the same route as the Aqualung release a few years back, with the 5.1 mix only available in the "Ultimate" edition (which runs about 300 bucks). Not a fan of that. Guess I don't get to enjoy it in surround, despite spending 80 bucks on a 'deluxe' set pre-order.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Upon closer investigation, I see they've gone the same route as the Aqualung release a few years back, with the 5.1 mix only available in the "Ultimate" edition (which runs about 300 bucks). Not a fan of that. Guess I don't get to enjoy it in surround, despite spending 80 bucks on a 'deluxe' set pre-order.
    They could always add another option that includes 5.1, if there is enough interest. That's the nice thing about PledgeMusic.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    They could always add another option that includes 5.1, if there is enough interest. That's the nice thing about PledgeMusic.
    I'm hoping so. There are a lot of options, and I don't want to whine about things that aren't really that important. Just seems to me that I shouldn't have to shell out 300 bucks in order to get the 5.1 mix... I'm a fan who supports musicians by buying their music, and in this case I'm already shelling out quite a lot for their album. They can throw in the surround mix IMO. Oh well, first world problems 'n all that!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm hoping so. There are a lot of options, and I don't want to whine about things that aren't really that important. Just seems to me that I shouldn't have to shell out 300 bucks in order to get the 5.1 mix... I'm a fan who supports musicians by buying their music, and in this case I'm already shelling out quite a lot for their album. They can throw in the surround mix IMO. Oh well, first world problems 'n all that!

I know what you mean though, and I too would like to have a lower-priced option that includes 5.1 but maybe leaves out some of the other things, to make it feasible for the band.

I don't understand why they can't just make it a la carte, with discounts for buying multiple items.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Leave out the TOTALLY unnecessary vinyl!

I'm thankful for the vinyl, though, because it makes me not want that most-expensive set.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-03-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't understand why they can't just make it a la carte, with discounts for buying multiple items.
    I don't believe PledgeMusic works that way.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Leave out the TOTALLY unnecessary vinyl!

I'm thankful for the vinyl, though, because it makes me not want that most-expensive set.
    I prefer vinyl.

An auto-buy for me, I hope they tour the US again.
    ...or you could love

They need to dump the studio noodling as a 'way into' material and get back to writing songs. The one/two chord blancmange that's dominated their albums since Marbles (with H's increasingly annoying navel-gazing for lyrics) is IMO lazy and uninspired.

I'll pre-order, as I've done for all their projects since Anoraknophobia. But I think this one is probably make or break for me.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    They need to dump the studio noodling as a 'way into' material and get back to writing songs. The one/two chord blancmange that's dominated their albums since Marbles (with H's increasingly annoying navel-gazing for lyrics) is IMO lazy and uninspired.

I'll pre-order, as I've done for all their projects since Anoraknophobia. But I think this one is probably make or break for me.
    Ding! Ding! Ding!
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!