Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marillion taking pre-orders for "Album 18"

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    They need to dump the studio noodling as a 'way into' material and get back to writing songs.
    This one's being "written" the same way, per the interview video.

They need to dump the studio noodling as a 'way into' material and get back to writing songs.
    They've written this way long before Marbles.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    They've written this way long before Marbles.
    Yes - but once upon a time they were better at it. IMO they need a new approach because it's not working for them the way it did.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

How would you suggest the band write then collaboratively? Unless you want the band to be run like a dictatorship by Rothery or Hogarth...

I don't think the band is going to change their working method at this stage of the game, I just wish that they had Dave Meegan sifting through the hours and hours of jams to build the songs around.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    How would you suggest the band write then collaboratively? Unless you want the band to be run like a dictatorship by Rothery or Hogarth...
    I would suggest they write better.

Better according to whom exactly? You?
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Better according to whom exactly? You?
    Well let's think about that.

Did I post it? Yep.

Is my pseudonym on the post? Check.

When people post something are they typically speaking for themselves? Yeah, mostly.

So yeah - I guess when I must have meant me.

Well let's think about that.

Did I post it? Yep.

Is my pseudonym on the post? Check.

When people post something are they typically speaking for themselves? Yeah, mostly.

So yeah - I guess when I must have meant me.
    Okay, good. Just making sure. I thought maybe you meant someone who wasn't an authority on what constitutes writing "better" music.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    $81 Canadian with shipping! Glad I trust the band.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    $81 Canadian with shipping! Glad I trust the band.
    Yeah, that's the one I went with too. Still very unhappy about this nonsense with depriving everyone of the blu-ray except for the $300 spenders.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, that's the one I went with too. Still very unhappy about this nonsense with depriving everyone of the blu-ray except for the $300 spenders.
    And depriving people who really don't want any vinyl in their collection.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I thought maybe you meant someone who wasn't an authority on what constitutes writing "better" music.
    Do you seriously think that anyone who listens to music with any engagement isn't an authority on that?

Oh, I get it: you're a sergeant in the IMO Police.

*salutes*

Do you seriously think that anyone who listens to music with any engagement isn't an authority on that?

Oh, I get it: you're a sergeant in the IMO Police.

*salutes*
    An authority on how to write music? Not necessarily. I know I'm not.

And I assumed it was all in your opinion to begin with. It's just a vague criticism to say they should "write better", as that is entirely subjective.

We will probably just have to agree to disagree with regard to how Marillion write songs these days, as I don't hear any prevalent aimlessness in their music and I believe what they are doing is working for them. YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And depriving people who really don't want any vinyl in their collection.
    There are a few (myself included) who would probably be all too happy to relieve you of said vinyl.

Still doesn't answer my question. What are you proposing CONSTRUCTIVELY as a means of better writing?

If in fact you aren't musically inclined or know of other arcane ways by which bands GO about writing there's one thing you can do: not listen/care/support them maybe?

Thanks for the heads-up. Ordered.

I'm a loyal Marillion fan, so will inevitably pre-order this closer to the time.

However, I'm not a blinkered, rose-spectacled, deaf and naïve Marillion fan, so it's been a long time since I assumed every album they release would be equally good.

For what little my opinon's worth, I thought Sounds That Can't Be Made was mostly a return to top form after two very weak albums, with Happiness Is The Road being more admirable for its packaging and photography than any of the music contained within its two beautiful little hardback books. Somewhere Else was only slightly better, although I think most of the songs worked better live.

But in the meantime they've put out stacks of excellent live albums from their convention weekends, and I've got no doubt that the band is musically as capable as ever when playing live. I hope that album 18 is a strong set of contrasting songs, in different tempos, with vivid textures, proper guitar solos rather than moody noodling, and H singing his heart out rather than mumbling in a fey manner. At their best, Marillion is a band I really love. At their worst, I'm still rather affectionate about them (but without necessarily having to adore the harvested fruits of their labours).

What I personally like about Somewhere Else is that it is concise. This has not been the case with much of their output since they went independent IMHO. Sometimes that's a positive, sometimes it's not.

Unfortunately that album was raked over the coals so I can't really see them returning to that sort of sound.

Went in on the standard edition on this one. Marillion are probably my favourite band so I was bound to get it eventually anyway.

i feel their albums have been consistently hit and miss since Marbles...there're tracks that are great and then tracks that are just mediocre per each album.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    I'm a loyal Marillion fan, so will inevitably pre-order this closer to the time.

However, I'm not a blinkered, rose-spectacled, deaf and naïve Marillion fan, so it's been a long time since I assumed every album they release would be equally good.

For what little my opinon's worth, I thought Sounds That Can't Be Made was mostly a return to top form after two very weak albums, with Happiness Is The Road being more admirable for its packaging and photography than any of the music contained within its two beautiful little hardback books. Somewhere Else was only slightly better, although I think most of the songs worked better live.

But in the meantime they've put out stacks of excellent live albums from their convention weekends, and I've got no doubt that the band is musically as capable as ever when playing live. I hope that album 18 is a strong set of contrasting songs, in different tempos, with vivid textures, proper guitar solos rather than moody noodling, and H singing his heart out rather than mumbling in a fey manner. At their best, Marillion is a band I really love. At their worst, I'm still rather affectionate about them (but without necessarily having to adore the harvested fruits of their labours).
    You've summed up my thoughts exactly and eloquently !

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post

Excellent post, and I agree with most of what you say. I'd switch SWE and HITR. HITR could have been a solid single album containing the best material since Marbles, but there's too much of the singer/songwriter meandering doodling that to my ears is more atmospheric than melodic. I thought STCBM was alright, but after the first week or two post-release I've barely returned to it.

Oh, I get it: ... the IMO Police.
    It would just help if YO had any explanation behind it. It's one thing to say "well, I wish they'd be more concise/more epic/more whatever" or "I prefer this quality or that one" and elaborate on why you think things work. We can all agree or disagree about that. Merely saying "write better" does come across as pretty presumptuous without anything more behind it.