Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson Summer '15 Tour SPOILER Thread

Tell us more about "last night"!

IMO i can do without ever hearing Red, VROOMs, or LTIA2 again...i'd trade any of them for an 80s instrumental by KC8.

So that wasn't really "Thrak" in the first post? Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    IMO i can do without ever hearing Red, VROOMs, or LTIA2 again...i'd trade any of them for an 80s instrumental by KC8.
    Please bear in mind that some of us have had very little opportunity ever to see a KC show. They haven't played in the UK outside London since 1982. I think they have only played London itself a handful of times since then - and whenever that was, I missed them. This will be my first time and I will be more than happy to hear a few 'hits'.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Yep. it would be nice to see even more new music, with more improvisation. I bet these guys could do interesting things with No Warning, Sheltering Sky or Thrak. KC has an awesome back catalog, it would be cool if they celebrated all of it.

Fantastic setlist. So much so, I'm almost worried what the change set will be. Seeing n1 brum and manchester so hoping I don't get the same twice.

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    hoping I don't get the same twice.
    Not a chance. Even when it's the same set, it's not the same set.

I'm a 70s oriented KC fan, so, IMO, this setlist couldn't be any better, but I was wondering: Why is RF dismissing the "Belew era" so much? I know it's his band and he can do whatever he wants, but what could be the reason of this approach? Is it that Belew's new waveish/lennonesque affected vocal style doesn't suit Jakko's style, which is rather moody/mellow. Or is it that Jakko is not particulary enthusiastic of the gamelan-inspired interlocking double guitar approach, which characterized 80s, 90s & 00s Crim? In fact, when Jakko fronted the 21CSB, they never played any post-Red material. Any thoughts? Just curious

Maybe because Crim drew heavily on that era for 30+ years and they feel these other eras deserve more, uh, "exposure" at this point? My guess. I heard the 80s stuff 'till I was blue in the face (or is that "Beat" in the face?) so this move away from it suits me fine.

Also, maybe it requires too much of Belew's wild style of playing? Jakko is a good player but he's no Adrian...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That is some fantastic setlist.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Some will hate me for saying this, but the Belew era of KC was my least favorite. To me the sax, flute, violin and mellotron driven early Crim is the REAL thing. Never really liked Belew's voice, but he is a good guitarist. But his era reminded me of a Talking Heads version of KC. I'm much happier now that the King is back in full force! I'm ready to enter the Court...so please come back to L.A.!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    In fact, when Jakko fronted the 21CSB, they never played any post-Red material. Any thoughts? Just curious
    The 21CSB members had no connection to '80s Crimson; why would they have played any of it?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The Enemy God
    Just back from Aylesbury night 2. Excellent set I think very similar /same as posted. I m a drummer but even for me one drummer too many. The percussion dominates a little too much. Struggled to hear Levin and Fripp enough. But small gripes, great to see them.

Orcopian
    Couldn't resist checking out the set list in advance of cardiff on Thursday in case I needed to do some homework on the more recent stuff which I'm not as familiar with, not really needed though... Gave ITCOTKC a spin in the car today and was delighted that my just turned 4 year old daughter was humming away to the title track. Result! No more take that on car journeys.

This really looks like a dream set list for me, so looking forward to it. I'm quite near the front so hope it won't be drum overload, the sound in cardiff is normally pretty good so fingers crossed.

This. Won't. Last.

I could see them going into "Thrak" from there.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    I'm a 70s oriented KC fan, so, IMO, this setlist couldn't be any better, but I was wondering: Why is RF dismissing the "Belew era" so much? I know it's his band and he can do whatever he wants, but what could be the reason of this approach? Is it that Belew's new waveish/lennonesque affected vocal style doesn't suit Jakko's style, which is rather moody/mellow. Or is it that Jakko is not particulary enthusiastic of the gamelan-inspired interlocking double guitar approach, which characterized 80s, 90s & 00s Crim? In fact, when Jakko fronted the 21CSB, they never played any post-Red material. Any thoughts? Just curious
    i asked Levin about this at camp. He laughed and said he too just realized they didn't touch any 80s material. He more or less said it was Robert's decision to more or less give all that material to Belew for his discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    This. Won't. Last.
    I see what you mean now.

I'm shocked by the set- pleasantly so! (I love Discipline but am indifferent to the other Belew albums.)

^

That was last year's i believe. There's a 2015 box set going about that someone's looking for the tracklist for.

Also correct sets from first two nights have been posted by Tony on his photo page/s.

That Tour Box is from last year. The 2015 one has it's own thread. It looks very promising. The last one had CD 1 1969-74 and CD 2 1981-2014. This one has CD 1 1969-1984 and 1995-2015. It adresses the balance nicely!

For those interested:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Levin on papabear.com
    For those interested in what pieces we're playing on this tour, the shows will vary on different nights.
    What we've done so far is:

Aug 31: Larks Tongues in Aspic Part I, Pictures of a City, Suitable Grounds for the Blues (first performance of it),
    One More Red Nightmare, Radical Action into Meltdown (two more new compositions), Hell Hounds, Easy Money,
    The ConstruKCtion of Light, Epitaph, Banshee Bells, The Letters, Sailors Tale, Interlude, Red, Starless, Devil Dogs,
    In the Court of the Crimson King, 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Sept 1: Larks Tongues in Aspic Part I, One More Red Nightmare, Vrooom, Suitable Grounds for the Blues,
    Radical Action, Meltdown, Hell Hounds, Easy Money, The ConstruKCtion of Light, Level 5, Epitaph, Interlude,
    Talking Drum, Larks Tongues in Aspic PartII, Starless, Devil Dogs, Red,

And we have a few more pieces ready, that we haven't fit into a set yet.

Sept 1: Larks Tongues in Aspic Part I, One More Red Nightmare, Vrooom, Suitable Grounds for the Blues,
    Radical Action, Meltdown, Hell Hounds, Easy Money, The ConstruKCtion of Light, Level 5, Epitaph, Interlude,
    Talking Drum, Larks Tongues in Aspic PartII, Starless, Devil Dogs, Red,
    So that was the set list? I was there and couldn't put a name to half the songs! I thought I'd heard Vrooom but wasn't 100% on that.

The sequence from "Suitable Grounds for the Blues" >> "Radical Action" >> "Meltdown" >> "Hell Hounds" had me wondering what was being played.

That Sept. 1 set list couldn't be more perfect. I hope they release one of the shows to DVD eventually.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    That Sept. 1 set list couldn't be more perfect. I hope they release one of the shows to DVD eventually.
    I actually prefer the other one with Pictures Of A City, The Letters and Sailors Tale
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I actually prefer the other one with Pictures Of A City, The Letters and Sailors Tale
    Same here!