Thread: FEATURED CD - Nemo : Prelude A La Ruine

FEATURED CD - Nemo : Prelude A La Ruine

Per my friend Greg Cummins on SoT:
    Thinking I was hearing a newer version of Ram Jam's "Black Betty", Nemo quickly dispelled those thoughts by completely shifting gears and ripped into a perfectly timed segue into piece after piece of frenetic and challenging sections yet seconds later brought the whole thing back to earth with some tasteful piano. Just as you were becoming familiar with the thematic development of the music, Nemo then get you to climb back on the rollercoaster while they weave their way through more different and difficult pieces than a monster jigsaw puzzle.

This is quite challenging music and is best listened to in its entirety as no one song will be indelibly embedded within the cerebral cavities sitting above your shoulders. Blending a bit of prog metal here, some great synth work with sparse but very emotive vocals (sung in French) and a solid but comfortable rhythm section, the band have concocted some cleverly executed ideas that encompasses just about everything a modern progressive band should have at their disposal. Guitars predominate much of the music with plenty of great riffage underpinned by some dynamic arrangements and very precise drumming while the keyboards add a definitive touch that drives the point home.

Most of the songs are of a reasonable length and allow the band to stretch out when required but it is the longest epic final track that I found the strongest on inspiration, despite its rather slow and mellow beginning. Not knowing the French language or understanding the meaning of the lyrics doesn't help either but thankfully for the most part, the music stands up very well on its own.

Nemo seem to have a foot in both doors here as they have a great retro sound slightly similar to the classic French band, Ange, mostly for the passionate vocals and arrangements while bringing a more modern sound into the equation by introducing a more metallic influence. While they use less of a mellotron sound, perhaps the closest similarity I can think of would be Liquid Scarlet. Certainly, they sound a bit different from your standard fare and are all very capable musically but I still miss that killer hook that seems to evade so many of the more modern bands today. Still they deserve a solid 4 as this is their debut album and a great one at that. Let's hope some more time in the studio with some more fresh ideas will produce that essential album that we all aspire to own.
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...content&id=947

Regards,

Duncan

Suspended
    On consulting Wikipedia it seems there are at least three bands called Nemo. On top of that, the word is apparently Latin for "no one" or "no man", so you might say No-man is a fourth such band.

I only have Le Ver Dans Le Fruit and it didn't blow me away. Decent French band but I think I need to listen to more to make a final determination!!!
    The Prog Corner

This was their prog metal album, IMO. Though they've kept the prog metal trappings since, this one really takes it as far as they ever did. I enjoy it, but it's probably towards the bottom of my rankings of their albums (I have them all, and enjoy all of them, some more than others). That said, "1914" is awesome.

I'm (re)listening to this right now.

The quality of the vocals are awful - the guy can't hit a note! Pitchy-pitchy
    Regards,

Duncan

"Modern" France have delivered some of the most exciting progressive rock music since the 70s; Halloween, Minimum Vital, Versailles, Tiemko (all 80s/90s), and later acts like Jack Dupon, Sebkha-Chott, Aquaserge, PoiL, Jean Louis, Rien, Ulan Bator, We Insist!, Alco Frisbass, Rhûn, Neom (!), Setna, One Shot and more decidedly "symph" bands Like Thork, Nil, Syrinx and Lazuli.

But Nemo? Have to say I find them dull and bland. Others may differ, of course.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Love them at 'si partie' 1&2. Probably it's their best.
    from your list I know and appreciate Nil and Lazuli.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "Modern" France have delivered some of the most exciting progressive rock music since the 70s; Halloween, Minimum Vital, Versailles, Tiemko (all 80s/90s), and later acts like Jack Dupon, Sebkha-Chott, Aquaserge, PoiL, Jean Louis, Rien, Ulan Bator, We Insist!, Alco Frisbass, Rhûn, Neom (!), Setna, One Shot and more decidedly "symph" bands Like Thork, Nil, Syrinx and Lazuli.

I like quite a few of those bands, but also Nemo. Taste is a funny thing.............

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Taste is a funny thing.
    You can say that again.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

That is their seminal album. Awesome masterpiece! Vocals... that's how everyone should be singing, as if singing for the last time. Raw and unprocessed. Emotion over the top... not everyone is like Alberto Piras, Jim Grey or Einar Solberg. But JPL approach to vocals is spot on. Closing riffs are very Opeth like, and were recorded before Opeth. That was the last album with previous bassist, who was then replaced with Lyonel G and lifted up that game again. The new remastered version of Prelude sounds even better. JPL and Mattias C are the experts in recording/production, absolute benchmark in my books. Their last album Coma is monumental...

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Per my friend Greg Cummins on SoT:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...content&id=947

... not the debut album tho. There were two prior to that one. Mondes and Presages. Mort Scorpion from Presages is brilliant. That raw guitar solo... excellent. beautiful melodies throughout, not just riff progression what 80% bands are up to.

Funny - I only just bought this one a couple of days ago to complete my Nemo collection, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Funny - I only just bought this one a couple of days ago to complete my Nemo collection, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
    I feel jealous! Discovering an album of that caliber is something special... you got yourself "Coma"? And speaking again re melodies... Nearly impossible to beat Si from "Si prt 1". Even Yesterday might come runner up. And Genie Du Mal from Prelude is up there as well. Facinating in its simplicity and beauty.
    Last edited by sergio; 09-02-2015 at 12:00 AM.