Thread: Session players- Who pays who?

Session players- Who pays who?

When an artist uses session player (weird example: Tom Waits used Chris Spedding on Rain Dogs album)-does the player get paid by the artist or by the record company(who adds it to the cost of making the album?) I know it sounds the same, but out of pocket expense must be difficult for some artists and I wonder how it works.

It depends on who's financing the project... or in the case of some independent artists, how loyal your friendships are. Sometimes people trade services; "I'll play for free on your project if you'll do the same for mine."

Some interesting related trivia: Eddie Van Halen claims that he never made a penny for playing on Michael Jackson's "Beat It."

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Some interesting related trivia: Eddie Van Halen claims that he never made a penny for playing on Michael Jackson's "Beat It."
    Right. He apparently did it for fun, and to do something different. DLR was pissed about it, apparently (not that he didn't get paid, but that he played on a Michael Jackson record at all).

Steve Lukather has said that he often does sessions as favors to the artist or producer.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It also depends who asked who and why.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It also depends who asked who and why.
    Of course. For example, if Chuck Norris was making an album, the session players pay him for the privilege.