Thread: Bob Zappa's Book Pre-order!

Interesting !

I've read a couple of the books about Zappa that are out there. Can't say I appreciated them much. The link indicates that Bob Zappa's life took a very different trajectory from Frank's, which somehow intrigues me. A brother's perspective could be enlightening. On the fence on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    I've read a couple of the books about Zappa that are out there.
    I've read a couple as well and the only one really worth reading was The Real Frank Zappa book, coauthored by FZ. This one? Well, a book written by the brother who we never heard Frank even talk about, not sure how much insight there will be especially of Zappa's life once he was on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I've read a couple as well and the only one really worth reading was The Real Frank Zappa book, coauthored by FZ. This one? Well, a book written by the brother who we never heard Frank even talk about, not sure how much insight there will be especially of Zappa's life once he was on his own.
    He does mention Bob coming to visit him in NY during the Mothers residency there in '69 (I think) in the real Frank Zappa book, iirc.

Wasn't Frank rather economical with info about his private life?
    I dont recall reading much about it anywhere.

I've read a couple as well and the only one really worth reading was The Real Frank Zappa book, coauthored by FZ.
    Agree this one was a great book.. Wanna say I have another one written by Barry Miles that was good as well..

It about his life with Frank before '67 growing up - nothing about him later really - obviously thats been done plenty. That is why I'm interested.

I've read a couple as well and the only one really worth reading was The Real Frank Zappa book, coauthored by FZ.
    It's the only one I've read and the only one I'd even think about reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Wasn't Frank rather economical with info about his private life?
    In the intro to his book, he said something like (and of course I'm paraphrasing), "autobiographies are written by people who think their lives were really interesting; this is not an autobiography." He did talk a little bit about his home life and how he worked through the night while his family was sleeping. There was also an interesting story about how a nurse at the hospital refused to let him name his son "Dweezil." But basically the book was just Frank on his soapbox, pontificating on a variety of subjects. It was fascinating and often hilarious, as one would expect. I read it twice.

I found this perspective really fun to read. A lot of close insights (yes some opinion based) on Frank at home during those really thick periods in the cabin and a bit beyond.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freak-Out-Li...6084498&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I found this perspective really fun to read. A lot of close insights (yes some opinion based) on Frank at home during those really thick periods in the cabin and a bit beyond.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freak-Out-Li...6084498&sr=1-1
    Agreed. I found Pauline's to be the best book about Zappa other than Frank's own book.

The biography by Barry Miles is probably the most detailed book about Zappa, but I found some sections sketchy and overly opinionated for someone who had no involvement with Zappa.

http://www.amazon.com/Zappa-Biograph...ZXSPHJCW59B42J