Thread: Dave Kerzner - New World Live Kickstarter campaign

Dave Kerzner - New World Live Kickstarter campaign

Dave has just created a Kickstarter campaign to fund the live recording of his New World album (and other stuff). Campaign rewards include live CDs and a Blu-Ray as well as packages including show tickets. If you enjoyed the New World album, this is well worth a look.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Kickstarter campaign is about or perhaps a little more than - haven't checked in a while - halfway there. Only about two weeks to go , so if you'd like to see this live CD/BR, etc. very nice package happen, go show your support. I'm in for the CD/Blu-Ray package.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eo-by-dave-ker

Fans of APP, latter-day Camel, Gilmour, Floyd take note.

BUMP

Campaign 2/3 funded with 2 weeks to go. Would encourage anyone who enjoyed the original New World album to support this.

One week to go, almost at the goal but Squids needs some more supporters. I enjoy the New World album so much I upped my pledge to include the Blu-Ray. If you're interested now is really the time.

Thanks guys! 5 Days left to go. We changed the venue location to Miami the day before Cruise To The Edge. We'll have a big audience there! Anyway, one thing to know is that you can join the campaign for as little as 3 dollars. The benefit to that is you get a few things plus access to the on going backstage pass "blog" where I'll share clips behind the scenes as we prepare for the gig and other exclusive stuff through the end of the year. However, if you don't join it before October 5th when it ends there's actually no way to add anyone to it after the fact. Kickstarter closes it to new people. I've had a bunch of people want to see the blog that was part of the first campaign but it's the same thing. Only the people who were part of that campaign can see those updates and there were some cool ones! I share all sorts of stuff so if that interests you then think about getting in even at $3. and then decide if you want the live album or Blu Ray at the different price points if that interests you as well. We're only $1,500 away from reaching the funding goal now so it's looking good to be green lit which is great! The more that comes in the more we'll put toward the concert video and future touring (we're going to be playing in Europe in the Spring and another VERY cool festival in the US which will be announced soon!). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eo-by-dave-ker

Dave, I'll be there for the cruise, very much looking forward to the live show. New World is one of my favorite releases of the last few years. It would be cool if Fernando could participate in Portnoy's Chris Squire tribute, since he can really channel Steve Howe when he wants to (e.g., the solo in "Nothing").

Is your live album show really going to be on Sat, the 14th? I'd love to be there, but there's a cruise pre-party that night which also looks very enticing (link below). Did you consider doing your show on Friday the 13th, so people wouldn't have to choose between two great events on the same night?

http://cruisetotheedge.com/pre-party-announced/

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Dave, I'll be there for the cruise, very much looking forward to the live show. New World is one of my favorite releases of the last few years. It would be cool if Fernando could participate in Portnoy's Chris Squire tribute, since he can really channel Steve Howe when he wants to (e.g., the solo in "Nothing").

Is your live album show really going to be on Sat, the 14th? I'd love to be there, but there's a cruise pre-party that night which also looks very enticing (link below). Did you consider doing your show on Friday the 13th, so people wouldn't have to choose between two great events on the same night?

http://cruisetotheedge.com/pre-party-announced/
    Friday the 13th is just too scary. Haha. Just kidding. The reason we're doing November 14th is because we managed, by sheer coincidence and amazing synchronicity, to be able to headline a festival in Miami that will have over 2,000 people in the audience (who are about to be PROGGED! haha). It's going to be a big concert and I'm working with the sound and lighting people to do something special. But, I understand CTTE people may want to go to the pre-cruise show. They can always catch us playing on the cruise instead. Although our set will be 20 minutes longer in the concert on the 14th. I'm not sure if we'll play all the same tune son the cruise between the two shows or not. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. See you one way or another!

By the way, we're less than $500 away from hitting the funding goal in the kickstarter campaign. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eo-by-dave-ker When it funds it's more a matter of whether someone wants to get any of the exclusive items or even just join for $3. minimum to be able to stay on the blog after it ends. I'll share some cool stuff on there including music I'm working on for my next album as well some stuff from other bands/projects I'm working on. I can't say yet what that is but it'll be a nice surprise! Plus I'm announcing something later today for the backers that is an unexpected extra as well. If anyone is into the music and can't make it to a show I recommend getting the Blu Ray! It'll have 5.1 surround and it'll be the closest thing to being there that I've got to offer.

Oh and we'd both love to join the Portnoy Squire tribute. But, no one's asked us. If they did we'd all do it. Huge fans and YES Fern does a good Howe.

This project reached the funding goal a little while ago! I'm sure Squids will be along soon to gush. I'm psyched! There's still a few days to get in!

I just pledged too --- I'm a HUGE fan and the Deluxe Edition of "New World" is my vote for 2015 Album of the Year.

REALLY looking forward to hearing New World Live!

My music collection is in such disarray I suddenly panicked because I couldn't find my deluxe edition of New World. But I just found it in the car, and also managed to find my laminate and signed postcard. Ahh... Fondle, fondle... And I don't even have the box set!

If anyone would like to take a stab at telling what the "story" of the album is, I'm all ears. Somehow although I enjoy lyrics in the context of music, I don't often put them all together in my head. I know it's about terraforming on a new planet, but I think there's a bit more to that. I need to get it more under my belt before we see the whole production with inflatable characters, etc.

I would also love if when Dave comes along he could exlain a bit to us how the "Nick Mason Drums" and similar things work. Can we hear a sample of that? I don't exactly get it, though I know Nick was involved in creating those.

Very cool that Durga McBroom is on the album...

I think it's even more cool that Russ Parrish plays the guitar solo on My Old Friend. Russ played with Dave in Kevin Gilbert's Thud band ca. mid-90's, but he's now known as Satchel in the hilariously vulgar hair metal parody band Steel Panther. While they're obviously going for laughs as they mock '80's sterotypes, Satch is a first-rate musician and their songs are catchy as hell. I'd love to see Russ sit in with the Dave's new world band, but I'm sure he's too busy with Steel Panther these days for a one-off show in Miami.

Here's a video for one of the tamer songs from their most recent album:

I'd love to play with Russ again and so would he! That was a real highlight moment making the album for me, getting the "Thud" guys back together after so many years... or at least in a virtual sense by jamming on the same song through overdubs in different studios (and a song dedicated in tribute to our old bandmate Kevin Gilbert! It was so cool to me how that came together!). He'd sit in with us if schedules permitted. I agree Rush is a fantastic musician and his Satchel character really is an act. He's actually a very warm, kind and caring person in real life. Don't want to spoil the illusion though! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My music collection is in such disarray I suddenly panicked because I couldn't find my deluxe edition of New World. But I just found it in the car, and also managed to find my laminate and signed postcard. Ahh... Fondle, fondle... And I don't even have the box set!

If anyone would like to take a stab at telling what the "story" of the album is, I'm all ears. Somehow although I enjoy lyrics in the context of music, I don't often put them all together in my head. I know it's about terraforming on a new planet, but I think there's a bit more to that. I need to get it more under my belt before we see the whole production with inflatable characters, etc.
    No fondling! Haha. That's cool and thank you for being part of the Kickstarter for the album (the live album and DVD Kickstarter ends in 3 days... just letting you guys know!). As for the story of New World... well... I wouldn't want to say too much because it's good to leave this open for interpretation. I will say some things that may be interesting. The main character is on a future Earth where the harsh weather conditions have turned much of it into a desert planet (so underneath the sand are destroyed old cities... hence the "spare parts" the character comes across on his trek... he sits and watches a vintage TV he finds that's not even plugged in but he's kind of losing his mind so he sees things on it). While there's a bit of dystopia going on outside of the cities there's also quite a utopian aspect within these giant biodome cities... the weather is controlled there, everything is new, clean and modern... but, we're still the same humans dealing with the same problems man faces today... greed, lies, cheating, betrayal, self doubt, fear... the main character finds himself stranded outside of the cities because he had been sold out by people he once trusted and had also gotten "too close to the sun" let's say... so he crashed back down to Earth. While he's making his way back to civilization and trying to survive he's mostly reflecting on events that transpired before he got there and feels they've all contributed in some way to him being there. The character goes through a transformation from a sort of victim mentality to one of self empowerment in the course of the album's journey. But... everything is written in layers of metaphor as well so while it can be taken as a sci fi story set in the future, much of it can also be applied to everyday life today and for me I've drawn upon experiences (both my own and of others) for the past 20 years or so... and also most of the songs are their own story within the bigger story and when taken out of context they work that way too.

As to what's actually happening and why... that's for the listener to decide. We don't even know what happens to the main character in the end. He definitely sees the light but is he still alive? Did he make it? Or is the perspective from "the other side"? Or maybe he DID get back home and he's making his comeback to set things right (like the end of Capricorn One if you've ever seen that movie). Or maybe the whole experience of losing everything and having to cling to his survival and face his demons was the catalyst for an awakening. All of that is up to you! As for me, I like stories that can be read different ways. When we wrote the concept for SOC's Dimensionaut that was one of the things I liked about that story as well. What happens in it is in the imagination of the listener (or at least the listener who thinks about such things... most people just listen to the music!).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I would also love if when Dave comes along he could exlain a bit to us how the "Nick Mason Drums" and similar things work. Can we hear a sample of that? I don't exactly get it, though I know Nick was involved in creating those.

Very cool that Durga McBroom is on the album...
    Nick Mason Drums is a sample library product for musicians that I produced with Alan Parsons and Nick Mason at a studio that had a lot of the same equipment used on mid-70s Pink Floyd albums (like the EMI TG12345 console that was at Abbey Road). I did it with my company Sonic Reality which for years has created sounds for music software and keyboard companies. It's a niche business anyway but even more niche for me because I go for esoteric things like this instead of the cash cow of hip hop library products (we do have some of those too but I don't produce those... since that's not my forte or personal interest). As for how I essentially incorporated Nick Mason drumming on my album, I did it by using the product we made which is Nick recorded playing drums in the studio with Alan Parsons engineering... something that hasn't actually happened since they did Dark Side! Crazy that I managed to reunite these two in the studio for this... and you can imagine how "over the moon" (no pun intended) I was to be doing this with them! So, the song "Solitude" technically has Nick Mason on drums but it's just indirectly because he was actually playing grooves and I arranged them for my song and added fills from the virtual playable drum kit we also created from the session.

Here's more info about it in an interview I did with them after the session. There's a part 2 and actually there are MORE parts that haven't been released of this interview which I will for something at some point... maybe when we released our special Floyd tribute with members of Alan Parsons Project and Nick Mason Drums, McBroom Sisters, Guy Pratt and various guests playing along with the sample libraries. That's what I do with my "Sonic Elements" project. It's only been on the back burner lately because original new music has taken front seat for understandable reasons.

Last edited by Squids; 10-02-2015 at 08:22 AM.