Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kenny G's kid shreds on the guitar

I hear it goes good with slap bass.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    True story:

Back in the '70s, I went to a concert. The opening act was a band that I had never heard of. The guitarist was SO mind-numbingly boring that I actually fell asleep.

That band was Soft Machine and the guitarist was Allan Holdsworth.
    Of course, I think how he goes over depends on the musical setting. I tend to like Holdsworth more with other folks in a somewhat contained setting with some editing. In the case of that period of Soft Machine (donning flame suit), the compositions, such as they were left a lot to be desired in terms of musical interest, just a lot of simplistic meandering riff-based jams without much compositional depth, sorry to say. But then put Holdsy in a setting like the Tony Williams "Believe It" band, a whole different story, he really shined brightly in that setting as well as with Gong, Bruford and UK.
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I hear it goes good with slap bass.
    LMAO UNCONTROLLABLY!!!!

And watch for auditioner #4, perfect bassist for Mr G's son, if he'd lived that is:

Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Aw, the kid's alright! He just needs to get his heart torn out of his chest by a girl he's hopelessly in love with and then to get so drunk that he's throwing up for the whole next day. He'll be fine!

Although I'm not a fan of his dad's work, I think it's cool his son went in a totally different musical direction and instrument as well. He seems to have knowledge of the guitar, but like Brother Ernie said, have a lover break his heart and the "guts" will pour out onto his playing.

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grizzly Bear View Post
    I would've felt the same way regardless of who the shred guitarist was, at its core, a lot of flashy technique but little to zero musical interest on any level.
    Tru dat!