Thread: FEATURED CD - No Man : Flowermouth

FEATURED CD - No Man : Flowermouth

Per Allmusic:
    Things were better honed for No-Man on Flowermouth, released a year after the band's debut. Minus Ben Coleman (although you'd never guess because he appears on seven of nine tracks), Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson were aided by Robert Fripp, Ian Carr, Steve Jansen, and Richard Barbieri (who recorded the excellent set Flame with Bowness in the same year). Beginning with the epic "Angel Gets Caught in the Beauty Trap," which is almost ten minutes on the original and longer on the reissue, things flow as Bowness' soothing vocal gives way to solos by Carr and Fripp. "You Grow More Beautiful" is another hit that might have been, while "Animal Ghost" is what Arthur Ransom, the author of Swallows and Amazons, might have sounded like had he chosen music instead of literature -- a very English affair with a meandering piano line (removed on the reissue) and flute solo. "Soft Shoulders" is the closest to a throwaway, but "Shell of a Fighter" restores order, an enthralling piece expanding to nearly eight minutes of lilting pastoral verse, quiet passages of electronics, and an all out storm of squally guitars and ferrocious drumming. "Teardrop Falls," one of their best, is a paced yet graceful pop dance tune. Flowermouth has serenity, too, in "Watching Over Me," which may have been better following "Shell." "Simple" uses a sample courtesy of Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance, roaming through contemporary club beats to reach a haunting climax. "Things Change" is the endgame, with the lyrics "You're leaving me behind you, I hate the way things change" sung in earnest. Gentle again, giving way to Wilson's emotionally wrought guitar mimicking the gut wrenching agony of love lost. A masterpiece of writing and playing recommended beyond reason.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/flowermouth-mw0000347282

Regards,

Duncan

Suspended
    At last, a review of an album that I happen to own!

The review is pretty spot on. "Angel" is the highlight, and the album is almost worth the price of admission for this track alone. There are a couple of clunkers; "Soft Shoulders" is a bit of a dirge, and I cannot bring myself to like "Simple". Overall however the disc is very enjoyable, and quite different from their later period characterised by such albums as Returning Jesus and Together We're Stranger. It is a bridge between their early trance trip-hop roots and their later more lush sound.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    At last, a review of an album that I happen to own!
    I hacked your PC to see what albums you own.

You're welcome.

Regards,

Duncan

One of my favourite No-Man-albums. Would be great if this one would get a 5.1 version too.

Steven Wilson is an occasional obsession of mine. Can't stop cherry picking his hopelessly melancholy world.
    This one stands out and catches my attention while listening for the guests' contributions that bring so much richness to the table.

I'm a big fan of this band but not of this particular album. Too many dance-like beats for my tastes although I love the fact that Ian Carr(NUCLEUS) guests on it. I actually spun this a couple of months ago thinking my opinion might have changed. Nope.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I came to this party because of the Steve Wilson connection. I stayed because I love Tim Bowness's singing. Flowermouth isn't my favorite NM album but it does have some deep highlights and brilliant moments.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Another great No-Man album - not quite at the level of Together We're Stranger or Schoolyard Ghosts for me but close.

The instrumental part of "Angel" that starts with Carr's trumpet to the sax into Fripp's guitar is breathtaking.

Considering the time it was recorded, this is a masterpiece. It was also a brave decision from SW and TB to record the album they wanted, and not what was expected from them from the record company. Yes, I also rate subsequent albums like "together we're stranger" higher, but Flowermouth is a very good record.