Thread: Charming Hostess-free lunch time concert tomorrow, 8/20, In SF--Yerba Buena Gardens

Charming Hostess-free lunch time concert tomorrow, 8/20, In SF--Yerba Buena Gardens

FYI, they're performing for free 12:30-1:30 at Yerba Buena Gardens.

I think their music is quite different from the first two albums, but I'm not certain. In any case, I'm there. Anyone else?

A review will be required.

I will attempt to comply.

So....outdoor, lunchtime, free concert.
    Fairly sparse crowd, due in part to gray somewhat cool weather....

The band is currently a quintet, with a trio of female vocals, a drummer, and a guitarist who also played bass and dumbek drum on one tune. Jewlia Eisenberg, the leader, also played bass on a few tunes.
    I've not kept up with the band since Punch. They've changed somewhat, but the vibe is still basically the same...Sephardic songs with Balkan harmonizing, extended vocal techniques, and a certain Klezmer Punk vibe, infused with some SF psychedelia vibe as well.

Very fun, and vocally quite amazing. Jewlia (and Cynthia Taylor, another of the singers) had a lot of stage presence, with spoken commentary and introductions.

Probably not everyone's cuppa, but I thought they were great fun.

Cool! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the follow through.

I stopped after Punch as well, but BOY - are those first two albums amazing! Eisenberg is awesome, but they were also one of Carla Kihlstedt's finest bands. I remember reading somewhere that the drift from more "rockish" nature came through a conscious decision to carry out the totality of the 'LGBT diva' concept, prompting an all-female lineup with less "discernable" stylistic ancestry. Of course, the three guys in the original Charming Hostess were more than occupied with countless other projects (SGM, Faun Fables, Mute Socialite etc.), so there was probably a mutual understanding as concerned the split itself.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM