Thread: Rank Your Top Five All-Time Favorite RIO Albums (excluding Zappa)

Rank Your Top Five All-Time Favorite RIO Albums (excluding Zappa)

I'm new to the sub genre, so eager to learn what to explore.
    Cheers!

david
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

RIO was a musical movement of 8 bands total David. There is already a thread of "Top 5 Avant Prog artists"

These are the *only* RIO bands:

(the initial 5)
    Henry Cow (England)
    Stormy Six (Italy)
    Samla Mammas Manna (Sweden)
    Univers Zero (Belgium)
    Etron Fou Leloublan (France)

(the 3 added later)
    Art Zoyd (France)
    Art Bears (England, made up of former Henry Cow members)
    Aksak Maboul (Belgium)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

so then, my top 5 out of those 8 are
    Univers Zero
    Henry Cow
    Samla Mammas Manna
    Art Bears
    Art Zoyd
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Ahh ok, seemed that there was not much difference between RIO and avant prog then, as a sub genre?
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

the 8 RIO bands are clearly Avant and are often discussed under that broader moniker

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ant-Prog-Bands

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    Ahh ok, seemed that there was not much difference between RIO and avant prog then, as a sub genre?
    Remember that RIO never identified or self-defined as any "subgenre". It was a commonship of theoretical approaches to certain ethics of "rock creativity" - some of it harshly contradicting the stylistic characteristics, modes and motives of 'ordinary' progressive rock tendencies. Originality, individuality, authenticity, transcendence and eclecticism - these were the main virtues.

The 5+3 original RIO faves:

Henry Cow - Western Culture
    Stormy Six - Macchina Maccheronica
    Univers Zero - Ceux du Dehors
    Zamla Mammaz Manna - Familjesprickor (Family Cracks)
    Etron Fou Leloublan - Les Poumons Gonfles
    Art Zoyd - Symphonie Pour le Jour ou Bruleront les Cites
    Aqsak Maboul - ...Bandits
    Art Bears - Winter Songs

Runners-up to the original RIO movement were Albert Marcoeur (who even featured on a couple of bills with the other RIO groups), The Muffins, Picchio dal Pozzo, Conventum, Dün and Debile Menthol - and these would be my next choice.

From there, "avant-prog" gets all the more varied, disparate and exploratory. It's a VAST universe.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks SS, i started a new, more specific, thread to pray upon yours, and others Avant expert leanings!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

Those mentioned are all great

And in the US there were/are
    5'uus
    Thinking Plague

It's a very common confusion. While RIO has a specific historical meaning, as described in this thread, the reality is that "RIO" is used as a short hand for many avant-prog acts which are similar in sound to those original RIO bands (or, actually, often just to avant-prog bands similar to Henry Cow and its various off-shoots), just as Canterbury gets used for bands that sound like or are connected to the actual acts that came out of Canterbury.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The toothpaste is out of the tube on the RIO definition, yes technically it only applies to the originals but it has long since come to mean a broader range of bands. The RIO Festival in France uses the name with Chris Cutler's blessing and has a very diverse range of bands.

Sticking to the original definition as there are other avant threads going on & this is a bit of fun

Henry Cow - Western Culture
    Stormy Six - L' Apprendista
    Univers Zero - Ceux du Dehors
    Zamla Mammaz Manna - Familjesprickor (Family Cracks)
    Etron Fou Leloublan - Les Poumons Gonfles
    Art Zoyd - Phase IV
    Aqsak Maboul - ...Bandits
    Art Bears - Winter Songs
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I blame ProgArchives for this! They lumped RIO / Avant into one category, which I guess sort of makes sense, but I don't consider the tags interchangeable. All RIO bands are probably avant, but not all avant is RIO. Got me? For instance, Zappa and Beefheart have nothing to do with RIO (except being two influential figures on the movement), much like Cardiacs have nothing to do with the movement, but were influenced by it.

I highly recommend checking out Jose Zegarra Holder and Adele Schmidt's film, Romantic Warriors II - A Progressive Music Saga About Rock in Opposition to learn more.

http://www.progdocs.com/Progdocs.com/RW_Vol._2.html

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    For instance, Zappa and Beefheart have nothing to do with RIO (except being two influential figures on the movement), much like Cardiacs have nothing to do with the movement, but were influenced by it.
    Add most artists on the Ralph label, for instance - Tuxedomoon, Residents, Snakefinger (who actually even referred to his own music as 'progressive'). And much so-called "post-rock" is most definitely avant-garde in one way or another - yet have little next to nothing to do with any RIO.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Add most artists on the Ralph label, for instance - Tuxedomoon, Residents, Snakefinger (who actually even referred to his own music as 'progressive'). And much so-called "post-rock" is most definitely avant-garde in one way or another - yet have little next to nothing to do with any RIO.
    And the so-called 'Krautrock' movement - CAN, Faust, Amon Duul II, etc were very avant garde.

Henry Cow - Legend
    Univers Zero - Heresie
    Thinking Plague - In This Life
    5UUs - Crisis In Clay
    U Totem - S/T

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I blame ProgArchives for this! They lumped RIO / Avant into one category
    The conflation was there long before ProgArchives. We were having these conversations on alt.music.progressive 20 years ago.

Henry

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I apologize in advance, but every time I see a thread about RIO...

^

Peter Allen was in fact invited into the early fold of the RIO movement but had to back out due to overall commitments. His extreme intricacies and refined meta-sophistication is radically subtle and mostly display as part of the maraccas-swing.

chalkpie
    I'm new to the sub genre, so eager to learn what to explore.
    Cheers!

david
    would you consider Cardiacs and Canterbury in this? If so, that changes things me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    would you consider Cardiacs and Canterbury in this? If so, that changes things me thinks.
    I'm down with genres being mutable things, but how the f*** can one define Cardiacs or the vast bulk of Canterbury as "RIO" or even "avant-prog"?

Henry

Cardiacs are put in Avant for the same reason I think Zappa is. People think they are prog but can't find a sub genre that fits them so they get put in Avant as they are edgy with lots of different time signatures and can be described as "difficult". In reality they are classic examples of a genre unto themselves, Cardiacs are Cardiacs, Zappa is Zappa, Magma were the only Zeuhl band until people started using the template. I have both Zappa & Cardiacs categorized as Avant but its just as a convenient label rather than any strict definition of the musical content. Canterbury is a separate animal all together, while there are bands at the edges of both, Henry Cow - Leg End being the most obvious example, I can't think of any Canterbury bands I would ever put into Avant. I guess that as Henry Cow are an original RIO band and Leg End has some Canterbury feel that's where the conversation goes.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well, Zappa, like Magma, launched generations of imitators, but the problem with Zappa is his diversity. Yes, you could put Zappa in avant, but you could also put him in jazz, electronic, rock, comedy, classical, and so on. So, when a band is influenced by Zappa - uhh, which Zappa? Magma sort of did one thing, but man it was their thing. Same for Cardiacs, but as far as I know, Cardiacs had no imitators.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

Peter Allen was in fact invited into the early fold of the RIO movement but had to back out due to overall commitments. His extreme intricacies and refined meta-sophistication is radically subtle and mostly display as part of the maraccas-swing.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I'm down with genres being mutable things, but how the f*** can one define Cardiacs or the vast bulk of Canterbury as "RIO" or even "avant-prog"?

Henry
    Its just a suggestion, and I personally have no problem lumping this music together (roughly speaking) if need be. Bottom line is that its just plain amazing music - regardless of our feeble attempts to label everything - and to me most folks would dig this stuff just the same.

Henry Cow (England) - Leg End
    Stormy Six (Italy) - Apprendista
    Samla Mammas Manna (Sweden) - Maltid
    Univers Zero (Belgium) - UZed
    Etron Fou Leloublan (France) - Poumons Gonflés
    Art Zoyd (France) - Génération SansFutur
    Art Bears (England) - Winter Songs
    Aksak Maboul (Belgium) - 11 Dances
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Its just a suggestion, and I personally have no problem lumping this music together (roughly speaking) if need be. Bottom line is that its just plain amazing music - regardless of our feeble attempts to label everything - and to me most folks would dig this stuff just the same.
    A lot of Avant fans seem to enjoy Canterbury and Cardiacs.
    Ian