Thread: Rock Stardom will kill you!

Rock Stardom will kill you!

Proggers should breath a sigh of relief.

Mega death? Rock stardom reduces life expectancy
    Hedonism. Substance abuse. Risky behavior. Rock stars from Elvis Presley to Amy Winehouse have ended up famous not only for their music but for the decadent lifestyle it enabled, one that eventually contributed to their deaths. But how much does the rock lifestyle really hurt?
    Quite a bit. That's the conclusion of a new study that tracked nearly 1,500 chart-topping musicians and found that their life expectancy after fame really was lower than that of the general population. North American solo musicians seem to have it especially bad.
    This wasn't necessarily what you'd expect. A huge number of studies have shown that wealth is generally associated with greater longevity, possibly as a result of better health care, better diet, and lower stress. Not only are rock musicians dying faster than the general populace, but they're completely negating the impact of any wealth that their fame brought to them.

I'm no rock star, but I do tour a lot around the planet. The whole "rock star" lifestyle is vastly exaggerated. Touring is exhausting, so most of the time the musicians are desperate to just get to the hotel so they can get some precious sleep.

I'm also a computer geek by day... and I gotta tell you from my personal experience... computer programmers act like "rock stars" more than rock stars act like rock stars. I'd worry more about people in silicon valley than your average musician.

- Matt

Dude, you're a rock star to some people!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've always wondered what drove prog musician Helmut Koellen to commit suicide? Was it something to do with "Rock stardom", or something else? I guess fans like me that never knew him personally will probably never have the complete story on that.
    RIP, Helmut!
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I'm no rock star, but I do tour a lot around the planet. The whole "rock star" lifestyle is vastly exaggerated. Touring is exhausting, so most of the time the musicians are desperate to just get to the hotel so they can get some precious sleep.

I'm also a computer geek by day... and I gotta tell you from my personal experience... computer programmers act like "rock stars" more than rock stars act like rock stars. I'd worry more about people in silicon valley than your average musician.

- Matt
    Not in my software department!

My bestie Scheila comes home from touring, cuddles with her husband (if he hasn't gone with her) and sleeps a lot. Her idea of rock and roll decadence is carbo-loading, so I think it's not just touring that exhausts her, it's carb-crashing!
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal