Thread: WXPN Annual Prog Rock Marathon

WXPN Annual Prog Rock Marathon

WXPN's annual Prog Rock Marathon is this Saturday (1/5) from 1PM to 1 AM....followed by a 70's Stars End from 1 AM to 6 AM.

This should be fun, as always.

www.wxpn.org to listen on line.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

I have very fond memories of listening to Diaspar and Stars End in my youth. I was not aware of this annual event and appreciate hearing about it in this posting. Thanks. I'll be sure to tune in.

Just a reminder that WXPN is simulcasted on 90.5 in the Baltimore area.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Way cool. Alway a great listen.

Just a reminder that this is today at 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    WXPN's annual Prog Rock Marathon is this Saturday (1/5) from 1PM to 1 AM....followed by a 70's Stars End from 1 AM to 6 AM.

This should be fun, as always.

www.wxpn.org to listen on line.

With other full-time prog Internet stations, other than the nostalgia of listening to XPN, what's the point?

I just heard them mention it a little while ago on XPN. I'm guessing it will be all seventies like it has been before. Of course we all know prog died in 1979 anyway so....
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post

With other full-time prog Internet stations, other than the nostalgia of listening to XPN, what's the point?
    Exactly. All they do is rehash the same first and second tier prog every year. I understand that they have to stick to only seventies prog stuff(ok actually I really don't) but I think that's good and bad. Good because there's so much of it that you can pretty much allways hear stuff you never heard before but bad because it gives the impression(especially to those lesser informed folks(ie the non hardcore fan)that prog died at the end of the 70's NEVER to return.

I kind of think XPN does this for the same reason the R&R hall of fame inducted Rush. They just want to throw a bone to the few people who will listen who normally wouldn't and also to ease their guilty conscious since they pretty much never play prog at any other time. Just my opinion of course.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-05-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Gotta love all the positive vibes this thing causes.......NOT!

Well I suppose for most of us it's a case of "been there done that." If they were going to devote even one hour to prog from the past twenty years that would be cool and might excite many of us more. But no, it's the same old Yes, Genesis, GG, Tull, Floyd, etc type of thing with MAYBE some PFM, Eloy, Supersister, Ange(insert what other under rated seventies band you want here). Don't get me wrong it's cool but they aren't going to play anything that most of us don't already know about or can't hear on any online prog station. It's good publicity for prog but like I said it could give the impression to the outsider that prog only existed in the seventies.

I can agree with all your points.....the show is called "Highs In The Seventies".

Thanks for clarifying!

As per usual, Supper's Ready starts the show.

Well, it's based on high in the seventies but they don't label the annual show high in the seventies as such to my knowledge. I suppose it's all semantics though. I think now they just call it the annual prog rock marathon but I do acknowledge that technically it is part of highs in the seventies.

Yeah, they started with SR last year too. Good to hear the live version this time.

They do seem to favor Genesis though. Yes always seems to take a backseat to Genesis and GG on here imo.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-05-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Great selection so far. Things it is just a pleasure to hear on the old school radio, such as Kate Bush, Eno, Crack The Sky, Lake, etc. I'm having fun

This Comus track is really good. I agree. Very good selection so far.

They just announced Carl Palmer.....May 1 at Sellersville Theatre

Yeah I figured since I live about a mile away from ST(nobody start stalking me now unless you bring pizza....and a cape)I would call. SO I call three times and all three times it's busy. I was like WTF? That's why I usually don't bother calling. Oh well.

I might go see Carl anyway. And then they mention that Steve Hackett is going to be at the Keswick(which is now about an hour from me). I've seen CP and SH before so no big deal.

Kevin Ayers

enjoyed the Kevin Ayers song about boating with Sid Barrett, need to explore his stuff some more, sounded like a bit of Robert Wyatt's stuff.

Allmusic rates 'Whatevershebringswesing' as one of the better one's -anyone familiar with Kevin's output ?
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Another great job done by Dan and Biff, they did 10 hours I believe, that's a long day behind the mike. Highlights for me was Armageddon,Man-Grasshopper and Captain Beyond-Sufficiently Breathless...RIP Lee Dorman Also the banter between songs, the 70's lingo, cool stuff.