Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reggae and related genres

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This is untrue.

IMHO the biggest market for reggae in any incarnation, by far, outside of Jamaica would have been the UK. There were so many big hits in the 60s and early 70s like 'My Boy Lollipop', 'Israelites', 'You Can Get It If You Really Want', 'Wonderful World Beautiful People', 'Return Of Django', 'Double Barrel', 'Let Your Yeah Be Yeah', 'The Liquidator' etc. These were really huge hits, like Top 5!

This was all before Bob Marley's albums came out on Island and the soundtrack to 'The Harder They Come'. And there were even homegrown reggae/ska hits like 'Skinhead Moonstomp', 'Rudi's In Love' (by Locomotive, who otherwise did full-on psychedelia!).
    Exactly.

Prompted by the recent comments elsewhere here on PE concerning reggae songs played by Gentle Giant and The Grateful Dead, I thought I would resurrect this thread. In the late 1970s and early 1980s it seemed obligatory for every rock band to try to play reggae, with varying degrees of success. One of the successful attempts was Graham Parker’s ‘Hey Lord, Don’t Ask Me Questions’. There were many failed efforts, among them this one from Led Zeppelin (IMO!)

We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease