Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The GREATEST Drum and Synthesizer albums

The 2 albums Jan Hammer made with percussionist David Earle Johnson
    Time is free
    Hip Address

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    David Sancious and Tone

Massimo
    did you mean to put those in a different thread MJ? Both of those have full bands with Bass Guitar and lead Guitar
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Last edited by rockcup; 08-07-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Vangelis would fit the bill very nicely, I'm thinking in particular of `Albedo 0.39' and `Spiral' albums. Vangelis plays all the keyboards and Drums himself and it all hangs together very well indeed. Another overlooked classic is an album by Seventh Wave called `Things To Come'. Some of the album has vocals on it but I'm thinking of the closing 8-9 minutes of Side Two from `Communication Skyways' onwards which is a mini masterpiece and purely synths and drums, all analogue and superb sounding ! !

PATRICK MORAZ THE STORY OF I

I don't remember how much singing altogether it has but it has great drumming and keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Zoltan. They're a new-ish band out of the UK.

They have at least 2 albums and an EP. Keyboards, bass and drums. No vocals.

I'm unable to post videos at the moment, but you shouild be able to find clips on line.
    Great pick right there. The bass is killer I tell ya! I just love their sound. Melodic and dark with some great sounding bass and drums especially.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Vangelis would fit the bill very nicely, I'm thinking in particular of `Albedo 0.39' and `Spiral' albums. Vangelis plays all the keyboards and Drums himself and it all hangs together very well indeed. Another overlooked classic is an album by Seventh Wave called `Things To Come'. Some of the album has vocals on it but I'm thinking of the closing 8-9 minutes of Side Two from `Communication Skyways' onwards which is a mini masterpiece and purely synths and drums, all analogue and superb sounding ! !
    Cosign me on all of the above (Albedo 0.39 is my fave Van-album), and I'll throw in another great one-man-band album of synths & drums: Jan Hammer's The First Seven Days (JH collaborator David Earle Johnson adds percussion on two tracks only).

Check out my 2005 Album {Paul Panebianco Sense of self} = 1 man band (in this case keys/synths& live drums) https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ppanebianco

It was intended for a live band, I had an impossible time finding players..........It did work out as a solo one man band album (short run as they call it in the music biz)

I don't call it business - I call it art/music...................SUPPORT THE ARTS!! -------- or are you an athletic supporter(!?)
    Last edited by PaulPb; 01-07-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Heldon interface

Silver Apples , interesting 60's synth (homemade) & drum duo,
    Last edited by alucard; 01-09-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Was just listened to this the other day: Klaus Schulze, Blackdance

Picture Music has some very percussive sounds on it, though I believe it's a sequencer.
    Moondawn, Body Love, and X have live drummers.

If you've never heard it, in the 1950s Duke Ellington made an album, "A Drum Is A Woman", featuring several of the best drummers of the day, including legendary conguero Candido.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman