Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Kevin Ayers: Joy Of A Toy

FEATURED CD - Kevin Ayers: Joy Of A Toy

Per Allmusic:
    As the Soft Machine's first bassist and original principal songwriter, Kevin Ayers was an overlooked force behind the group's groundbreaking recordings in 1967 and 1968. This, his solo debut, is so tossed-off and nonchalant that one gets the impression he wanted to take it easy after helping pilot the manic innovations of the Softs. Laissez-faire sloth has always been part of Ayers' persona, and this record's intermittent lazy charm helped establish it. That doesn't get around the fact, however, that this set of early progressive rock does not feature extremely strong material. Ayers' command of an assortment of instruments is impressive, and his deep bass vocals and playful, almost goofy song-sketches are affecting, but they don't really stick with the listener. It's no accident that some of the tracks recall early Soft Machine: Robert Wyatt drums on most of the songs, and "Song for Insane Times" is virtually a bona fide Soft Machine performance, featuring actual backing from the group itself. A likable but slight album that is at its best when Ayers is at his folkiest.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/joy-of-a-toy-mw0000309164

Regards,

Duncan

Not my fave by him, but it's better than the review indicates.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

While I'm a big KA fan, I must agree that this was not his best album. Still, it has many good songs, with interesting arrangements. Later albums like Whatevershebringswesing and Confessions of Dr. Dream are more consistent (and progressive) in my book.

What's funny is that that All Music Guide review gives the album 3 1/2 stars, more than most Kevin Ayers albums get on that site. Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Not my fave by him, but it's better than the review indicates.
    Yes I agree. Far better than what the review implies.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

It's good, but quite uneven. Shooting at the Moon is where things really start getting intriguing, IMO.

Of course, "Girl on a Swing" is an alltime underground classic that I'll never tire of.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    While I'm a big KA fan, I must agree that this was not his best album. Still, it has many good songs, with interesting arrangements. Later albums like Whatevershebringswesing and Confessions of Dr. Dream are more consistent (and progressive) in my book.
    Not a fan of this one (or Banamour for that matter >> only one track worth saving on that one), but indeed Whatever, Confessions and Shooting At are my top three... Can't really say I explored much after Mañanas.... But I think the BBC Paris Theatre concert is the one album I prefer from his works

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's good, but quite uneven. Shooting at the Moon is where things really start getting intriguing, IMO.
    Tremendous line-up really, but ultimately I think it's not as good as one could've hoped for, given the people participating
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Tremendous line-up really, but ultimately I think it's not as good as one could've hoped for, given the people participating
    Ah, but if "May I" isn't one of *THE* great opening tracks of any record, then I wouldn't know what would be. I smell hot coffee plus avec, croissants and a gorgeous woman just thinking about that tune.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Ah, but if "May I" isn't one of *THE* great opening tracks of any record, then I wouldn't know what would be. I smell hot coffee plus avec, croissants and a gorgeous woman just thinking about that tune.

Kevin's ultimate track, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Let me be the contrarian, but I really like this album. I know the songs are kind of all over the place in style and content, but it has a charm that is it's own, and Girl On A Swing is an all time favourite.

This is one of my all-time favorite albums, and is tied with Whatevershebringswesing for me in the Ayers canon.

Love this one, somewhat surprised by the lukewarm reception. Definitely has the 'end of an era' feel- obviously chronologically as it came out right at the end of its decade but literally with some of the material, most obviously with 'Song For Insane Times' but also the carefree optimism of things like 'Girl On A Swing', 'Town Feeling' etc.

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Kevin's ultimate track, IMHO
    Love that one too! And the electric sax solo is beautiful. The only Kevin Ayers I own is the 4 CD compilation, and I played it to death about five years ago.

Kevin sure was one of a kind. I remember seeing him live at (I think) Club Komotion in San Francisco and he forgot the lyrics to “Lady Rachel.” It’s pretty obvious he’d been drinking a bit.

I like most of his albums, even generally discredited ones like Yes, We Have No Mañanas*. But I pretty much agree that Whatevershebringswesing and Confessions of Dr. Dream was his creative plateau. At least that was his most experimental/progressive period. There’s great tunes scattered throughout his discography. This one and Shooting at the Moon are still a bit formative, especially JOAT, but they’re loaded with quirky charm. And even here, in between Kevin’s songs, you get pieces like “Oleh Oleh Bandu Bandong” where you think, “where in the Hell did this come from?” I think he was heavily under the influence of David Bedford even then.

*which I own on cassette! Yes, the original ABC/GRT release (you can’t really say “pressing” now, can you?). “Blue” is one of his most gorgeous, affecting songs, and I will hear no argument on that point.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Love this one, somewhat surprised by the lukewarm reception.
    Me too; this is absolutely my favorite Kevin.

This is by far my favorite Kevin!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Who'd be the southpaw on the white Gibson SG ??

I feel like I know him... or should know him

AAMOF, what's the whole line-up?
    Last edited by Trane; 08-14-2015 at 07:08 PM.

^
    Ohhh... Shit, I believe that's actually the one and only Ollie Halsall...

^
    I was going to search in the left-handed thread, but that was the one I had in mind.

I knew it wasn't Andy Summers (he would play with Ayers the following year)

^
    Or as he was credited on one of Ayers's albums, Ollie Haircut.

That pair were amazing, Ollie and Kevin.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

My favorite of his solo albums, actually, but as much for sentimental as musical reasons, which is fine.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Love that one too! And the electric sax solo is beautiful.
    I just found this one; haven't seen it before at all, so this was a minor revelation, actually. This happens to be quite historical, in that there are several more or less legendary musical figures involved in this clip alone; a very young Mike Oldfield (pre-Tubular!) donning bass guitar, an up-and-coming contemporary composer David Bedford donning beard and accordeon, and the inimitable Grand Uncle of UK free jazz underground tube soprano sax skronk Lol Coxhill - and how much footage of him can there even exist from this specific stage of his career? Also, the track glimpses at an often forgotten aspect of the otherwise so beloved 'Canterbury whimsy', namely that off-kilter unpretentious sunny song-form mannerism which so affected Supersister, Prefab Sprout, XTC and later disciples such as Moom, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Syd Arthur, Schnauser et al. Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Kevin sure was one of a kind. I remember seeing him live at (I think) Club Komotion in San Francisco and he forgot the lyrics to “Lady Rachel.” It’s pretty obvious he’d been drinking a bit.

I like most of his albums, even generally discredited ones like Yes, We Have No Mañanas*. But I pretty much agree that Whatevershebringswesing and Confessions of Dr. Dream was his creative plateau. At least that was his most experimental/progressive period. There’s great tunes scattered throughout his discography. This one and Shooting at the Moon are still a bit formative, especially JOAT, but they’re loaded with quirky charm. And even here, in between Kevin’s songs, you get pieces like “Oleh Oleh Bandu Bandong” where you think, “where in the Hell did this come from?” I think he was heavily under the influence of David Bedford even then.

*which I own on cassette! Yes, the original ABC/GRT release (you can’t really say “pressing” now, can you?). “Blue” is one of his most gorgeous, affecting songs, and I will hear no argument on that point.
    Really digging that font! ^^