Thread: AAJ Review: Stephan Micus, Nomad Songs

AAJ Review: Stephan Micus, Nomad Songs

My review of Stephan Micus' Nomad Songs, today at All About Jazz .

For his 21st ECM recording (his first six originally released on the label's sister imprint Japo but subsequently reissued on ECM), multi-instrumentalist and intrepid musical explorer Stephan Micus simplifies...well, relatively speaking...to the sparer instrumental settings of earlier recordings like The Music of Stones (1989), East of the Night (1985) and Till the End of Time (1978). That's not to say that Micus--who's recorded all his music in his own MCM Studio since 1992's To the Evening Child--has deserted his usual modus operandi: creating largely multi-tracked pieces that may begin with the smallest kernel of an idea but ultimately become near-orchestral yet meditative, reflecting a lifetime of travel to faraway cultures, studying and incorporating what is now a massive array of indigenous instruments into hitherto unheard of combinations.

Unlike his last recording, Panagia (2013)--or, for that matter, previous ones such as 2010's Bold as Light and 2007's On the Wing--Nomad Songs works, however, with a much smaller instrumental palette. Songs that regularly layer instruments like six shakuhachi, seventeen voices or eight charangos are nowhere to be found; instead, the eleven tracks that make up Nomad Songs are surprisingly spare, with no more than six instruments found on just one track: the slow-paced "The Dance," which features twelve-string guitar; one long-necked lute from West China; one Afghan lute; two steel-string guitars and the genbri, a three-stringed bass lute.

Elsewhere, Micus' songs are as spacious as "The Blessing," which features but a single voice, singing a plaintive melody that feels somehow rooted in the middle east, or "Sea of Grass," where two tin whistles are played simultaneously to create a harmonious theme that feels, as is true of so much of Micus' music, less culled from any single culture and, instead, drawn from around the globe into a single, unified language that exemplifies the concept of music as a universal language--one that knows no borders and erects no boundaries. Similarly, "The Stars" is a rubato piece for solo twelve-string guitar that moves from simple lines to lush chordal constructs, all with the kind of calming quietude redolent of Micus' ability to create music that is sometimes less song and more atmosphere.

Continue reading here...

Just purchased this a few minutes ago, haven't even opened it yet (I'm at work, so it'll have to wait until I get home). I have all of his albums, even the one album not on ECM (Behind Eleven Deserts), and this looks to be a good one. I like the mix of instruments, and he only sings on three tracks. He has a good voice, but quite often I get that "white guy trying to sound ethnic" feeling, or I get annoyed at his made up lyrics, or the voices just don't seem to go with the music. Will report back after a couple of listens.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I have all of his albums, even the one album not on ECM (Behind Eleven Deserts)
    There's another album not on ECM/JAPO: his first, Archaic Concerts (on Caroline, vinyl only). It's how I discovered him way back when.

I've heard of that one, never seen it though.

Well, in my earlier post I said that this looked like a winner because he sings on only 3 tracks, but I forgot about the other thing he does a lot that ruins a lot of otherwise great tracks; overuse of various flutes played in a HIGH register for long periods of time. My ears are apparently more sensitive to high frequencies than most listeners, so YMMV...

I'll give it another listen tonight. There were some good tracks on it, but it bugged me that the music I liked the most came on the tracks that had the vocals on them, which I didn't like at all.

Well, in my earlier post I said that this looked like a winner because he sings on only 3 tracks, but I forgot about the other thing he does a lot that ruins a lot of otherwise great tracks; overuse of various flutes played in a HIGH register for long periods of time. My ears are apparently more sensitive to high frequencies than most listeners, so YMMV...

I'll give it another listen tonight. There were some good tracks on it, but it bugged me that the music I liked the most came on the tracks that had the vocals on them, which I didn't like at all.
    Shame. I'm ambivalent about his vocals but have no problem with his flutes. But I thought that I was pretty clear on the fact that this record is largely centered around various lute/lute-related and flute/flute-related instruments, along with the mbira-like ndingo, from Botswana, that is introduced into Micus' growing instrumental arsenal, along with the genbri, a bass lute variant from West China:

Still, with the two instruments spread liberally across the album, Nomad Songs' overall emphasis on thumb piano (ndingo) and flute or stringed instrument variants—including hollow reed flutes (nay and suling), bamboo and metal flutes (shakuhachi and tin whistle), lutes (genbri, rabab and rewab), and guitars ranging from six to fourteen strings—possesses a most specific personality, both joining it with and distancing it from albums like the voice-heavy Panagia, duduk-centric Towards the Wind (2002) and Twilight Fields (1987), where as many as 56 flowerpots, each with a different tonality, were layered to construct a single composition.
    I sure hope you didn't buy it on the basis of my review, as I thought I was pretty clear on where the instrumental emphases lay, and I'd hate to think that my review misled you....if it did, my apologies... 

That said, I'm afraid we offer no refunds....

No, I eagerly await each release and buy it whatever anybody says. I do like the new instruments he uses, and I always love his guitar playing (a couple of early albums have 17-minute guitar solos that are all-time favorites for me). Even if I only like two or three tracks on one of his albums, it's a keeper. I gave it another listen last night, and those high flutes got to me again. I love flutes in general, and have bought albums by artists from all over the world who specialize in the various types of flutes, but those high frequencies get to me if they go on too long. And I do like his vocals on several albums, just not this one.

No, I eagerly await each release and buy it whatever anybody says. I do like the new instruments he uses, and I always love his guitar playing (a couple of early albums have 17-minute guitar solos that are all-time favorites for me). Even if I only like two or three tracks on one of his albums, it's a keeper. I gave it another listen last night, and those high flutes got to me again. I love flutes in general, and have bought albums by artists from all over the world who specialize in the various types of flutes, but those high frequencies get to me if they go on too long. And I do like his vocals on several albums, just not this one.
    Good. I'd hate to be responsible...I only want to be responsible for turning folks onto stuff they love...not stuff they don't