Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Your First Prog Album

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I've been speaking an octave higher and staring at the sun too much ever since.
    Are you Dave Lawson?

Oh, sorry, that’s “speaking an octave higher and whining about women who won’t sleep with him.”

[is listening to Greenslade right now]
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Mine was 'In the Court of the Crimson King' 1969, a total kick in the bollocks from which I've never recovered :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Craign View Post
    Mine was 'In the Court of the Crimson King' 1969, a total kick in the bollocks from which I've never recovered
    Yeah, this really was one of those "you had to be there" albums.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    First time I heard Larks Tongues In Aspic was like that, "Wat tha fuck?"
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Are you Dave Lawson?

Oh, sorry, that’s “speaking an octave higher and whining about women who won’t sleep with him.”

[is listening to Greenslade right now]
    Yup, that's "lonely Lawson" all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Are you Dave Lawson?

And when he "wants to go'oo back in li-i-i-i-ffe" his voice even doubles itself in that whine.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    this listening party happened in 1969? but... err... none of those bands (GFR, Sab) or albums (ELP, TYA) existed in 69 or even early 1970 (if the "six months" took you into that year) except ITCOCK

did you mean 1979?
    Poorly written on my part. I saw the album cover of ItCotCK in late 1969. The listening party was a couple years later. Sorry for the confusion.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I've been speaking an octave higher and staring at the sun too much ever since.
    Just make sure you drink the wine while it is warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I think it was Pink Floyd, either Ummagumma or A Nice Pair (the first two albums as a double vinyl). No wonder my tastes turned out as weird as they did.

I've seen a few DSOTMs earlier in the thread, but no earlier Floyd. Surely, there must be somebody who started with Meddle or the cow???
    Yes -me! A friend who had an older brother who had just got hold of Piper at the Gates of Dawn and brought it round to my house one weekend. I sat and listened to the whole album transfixed. Soon after I heard the Nice's 'Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack' then started buying albums myself as and when I could afford them ( I was 14 at the time). Soon I added High Tide, Caravan, Soft Machine, Family & Van der Graaf all at the time of their first albums. Couldn't say which was the first 'prog' album as you'll all dispute which one was prog and which one was psychedelic, but at the time these were all 'underground' bands and that was good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Genesis "And Then There Were Three".
    I think that was probably mine - unless you can count ELO "Out of the Blue"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    First time I heard Larks Tongues In Aspic was like that, "Wat tha fuck?"
    That was my reaction to that also and to a lesser extent "relayer."

I was around 11 years old. (1972) when an older friend played Floyd's 'Echos' at a Halloween party. Blew my mind, and so much better than Seals & Croft, or whatever else was playing on the radio. Later that week I took my grass cutting money and got my mom to take me to the record store in the next town, and bought 'Meddle.' So that was my first.
    As some ancient Chinese philosopher once said "Just dig a hole that's deep enough, and everyone will want to jump into it."

I bought Deep Purple Made in Japan with my Christmas money in 1974, at age 7. A friend's older sister had Machine Head and I thought that was really great but when I went to the store the sales guy convinced me to get MiJ instead. I played it non-stop for a year or two, not only because it was great music but also because it was the only rock record I owned. Kind of funny to think that I had no problem playing the 20 minute "Space Truckin" and then following it up with "Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too...".

Like Digital man, my first was yes' "Fragile". I'd already been blown away by my sister collection in around 1972 - ELP, Crimson, Audience, Zappa,Stevie Wonder, hawkwind etc etc but "Fragile" was the first album I went out and got for myself. The first bar of "Heart of the Sunrise" in a pal's bedroom and I was hooked. had to have it. This was a year or three later. 1975, I guess and I felt like I was very late to the party!

Tommy by The Who. Who Tommy.jpg

I had been listening to it at a friends house and got it for my birthday when I was 12. (I think) Played a cut from it on the last PM Show actually.

http://www.xray.fm/broadcasts/view/8522

Also remember getting Sgt Peppers & Yessongs many years ago.

All the best!

JB
    Host of The PM Show on 107.1 & 91.1, KXRY, Portland, Oregon, USA, 99.9 KXRW-LP, Vancouver, Washington, USA, Jazzbox Radio International in Paris, France http://www.jazzbox-radio.fr/ and streaming online everywhere at www.xray.fm