Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Artists that have released the same song with both group and solo?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "Dry Land" featuring Steve Hogarth on How We Live's eponymous album (1987).

Later recorded by Marillion on "Holidays In Eden" (1991).

Allan Holdsworth
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

David Cross "Exiles" - released w King Crimson and DC band( w. John Wetton on vocals)
    Keith Emerson - Abbadon's Bolero - released w ELP on Trilogy album and on KE solo "Off the Shelf"
    David Coverdale released Burn, Stormbringer and other Purple songs under Whitesnake name( if that counts.........)
    McCartney rearranged a lot of Beatles songs for his band......

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    McCartney rearranged a lot of Beatles songs for his band......
    But those were only on live-albums.

The album McCartney had a few songs played by the Beatles during the Let It Be sessions ("Teddy Boy" and one runthough of "Hot As Sun" with vocals). They also tried to play "All Things Must Pass" during those sessions.

Speaking of The Beatles, Ringo re-recorded Love Me Do on one of his solo albums.

Since this is on the main board, I thought it was in search of prog artists/bands. Since others have chimed in with non-prog…

"See You In Your Dreams" first recorded by KISS; re-recorded less than 18 months later for the Gene Simmons solo album.

"Simmons re-recorded "See You in Your Dreams" because he reportedly was not happy with the way it was recorded on Rock and Roll Over."

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Since this is on the main board, I thought it was in search of prog artists/bands. Since others have chimed in with non-prog…

"See You In Your Dreams" first recorded by KISS; re-recorded less than 18 months later for the Gene Simmons solo album.

"Simmons re-recorded "See You in Your Dreams" because he reportedly was not happy with the way it was recorded on Rock and Roll Over."
    that's what I thought too - ain't I a stinkah

Fish/Marillion - Incommunicado, Incubus

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Lemmy recorded Motorhead with Hawkwind and then Motorhead. The same is true for Lost Johnny.
    And "The Watcher"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Grace Slick recorded "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit" both with the Great Society and Jefferson Airplane (too bad she did not redo "Didn't Think So" with them)
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I didn't see "Behind the Lines" from Phil Collins/Genesis. I don't know if Phil used that song as a filler on his solo album or not.

Luther Grosvenor (ex Spooky Tooth guitar player) recorded When I Met You on his first solo album, Under Open Skies, and later on one of the two Widowmaker albums. Great song and the first version is the best, with a stunning solo.

Technically not a song, but
    Quicksilver Messenger Service/Nicky Hopkins
    Edward, The Mad Shirt Grinder-Shady Grove
    Edward-Tin Man Was A Dreamer

Does Morgan Fisher rendering Mott the Hoople’s “All the Young Dudes” and “Roll Away the Stone” as fake 78 RPM recordings on Hybrid Kids count? I ask because he didn’t play on the original ATYD.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by logicmandoo View Post
    I didn't see "Behind the Lines" from Phil Collins/Genesis. I don't know if Phil used that song as a filler on his solo album or not.
    This came about because whilst they were mastering it at a high speed, it had more of a funk/soul flavour which they all liked, and Phil remembered that for his own rearrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    But those were only on live-albums.
    Not quite; there were some (pointless) Beatles remakes on the Give My Regards To Broad Street soundtrack album.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Does Morgan Fisher rendering Mott the Hoople’s “All the Young Dudes” and “Roll Away the Stone” as fake 78 RPM recordings on Hybrid Kids count? I ask because he didn’t play on the original ATYD.
    Personally, I'd call that a cover version if he wasn't on the original release.

Keith Moon / The Who - "The Kids Are Alright"

Pete Townshend / The Who - "Pure and Easy" and "Let's See Action" (on Who Came First) and many others (on the "Scoop" series, but those are demos so maybe they don't count)

John Entwhistle / The Who - "Heaven and Hell" (on Smash Your Head Against the Wall) and "My Wife" (on Rigor Mortis Sets In)

Daltrey doesn't seem to have done any Who material on any of his solo studio albums...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Daltrey doesn't seem to have done any Who material on any of his solo studio albums...
    I think the closest he came was using a similar 'synth' sound/beat on the 'Under a Raging Moon' track where all the guest drummers do a solo! Kind of a tribute to Moony!