Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 10 Classic Ambient Albums

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    heh... and I thought I was the only one who had that album!
    Lou, you gotta drop into the electronic threads more than twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It totally passed me by the first time around, but the amazingly-awesome 'I Am The Center' collection from a few years back brought it to my attention. Managed to track down a used copy

(in case anyone here hasn't heard about or listened to this set: http://lightintheattic.net/releases/...rica-1950-1990)
    Cool set. 2CD's out of stock or I'd put in an order.

It's not terribly rare...Amazon carries it as well.

Lights also did a great follow-up recently, called Microcosm that focuses more on European music. There are a few more "known" talents on that set (Vangelis, Cluster, etc.) but it is still quite excellent.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It's not terribly rare...Amazon carries it as well.

Lights also did a great follow-up recently, called Microcosm that focuses more on European music. There are a few more "known" talents on that set (Vangelis, Cluster, etc.) but it is still quite excellent.
    I looked at that. Suzanne Doucet & Christian Buehner have been around a while. I first bought one of hers on cassette! Here's one she did with Gary Miraz back in 2002.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    But the author does get my respect for including Wendy Carlos "Sonic Seasonings." It practically invented the genre.
    Desert Isle material.

When I was a sproutling and FM radio had begun to come into it's own, there was a college station called WRPI in Troy, N.Y., affiliated with the school. In that time they were spinning serious platters.

Even then I was a nocturn. Their programming didn't always go all night, but then neither did I. There was a guy calling himself "Gabriel Cross". His time was midnight to 3am, or whenever he felt like it. He and I became somewhat familiar with each other. He would play huge blocks of music, an hour or more at a time. Tell you nothing about it. If you wanted to know you had to call. I still remember the number for God's sake! 272-6248. "What were you playing about 2:25? There was glass breaking at the beginning of the song." The station is still there and that may still be it's number, but don't call. They aren't what they were. (Who amongst us is?) What they were was some of the best radio in the country at that time. Heavy on the prog. Very. And never said the word. This may well have been before it was a word. A thing. Back when prog was simply music.

Wonder what happened to "Gabriel"? His name was probably Ralph. May be here somewhere! Knew his tunes. He and his associates at "whirrpy"(as they called it) encouraged my already developing interest in this unusual musical form hugely.

The reason I tell you all of this is that he, and some of the rest of them, the dj's, had theme music that was their trademark. It would start their shows, and end them. It would signal that they were coming back to talk to us after one of their epic sets. Sometimes they'd play a little of it and sometimes most or all of it. Gabriel's was Winter, from Sonic Seasonings. Others used Spring, and Fall.

No one used Summer. Summer is just about unlistenable. People have reported vertigo in their attempts and possibly gastric content has been unleashed.

WRPI turned this young lad onto Alot of cool stuff back then. Circa 1973,4,5. The radio serial 4th Tower Of Inverness. The trippy comic constructs (surprised not to see them presented as links in this thread) of The Firesign Theater. The Runaway by Gentle Giant.

And they seemed to make sure I was aware of Sonic Seasonings. Walter, later Wendy was more famous at the time for Switched On Bach, and they played from that, too. And maybe they thought that what would soon become ambient music wasn't cool yet, because they kept it low key.

But I found that record. Those records!

Decade or so ago, found the CD reissue with the two bonus tracks (which are interesting).

What a beautiful, wonderful recording. Summer notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Frankh; 12-23-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Cloud Not Mountain: Near The Parenthesis (or the other way round), just listening to it during a longer train ride. I heard it in a record shop and liked the grainy atmosphere. It's a solo project , forgot his name.

https://youtu.be/jVB2fcXW3Uo

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Last edited by alucard; 12-23-2017 at 03:20 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I'm going back to the archives to dredge up old posts, wanted to see if any prog fans were into Tetsu Inoue/Pete Namlook as they are the creme de la creme producers of the 90s.

It's a bummer that the FAX label is down, so you have to use the Wayback Machine to read the album reviews.

1. Gas - Königsforst (1999)
    2. Tetsu Inoue, Ambiant Otaku (1994)

Excellent album, a masterpiece, but Organic Cloud is the 'Dark Side of the Moon' of epic ambient albums.

"Karmic Light opens the set with a hi-end band of frequencies and ribbons of synth chords ringing and alternating left and right. Until about halfway into the track, this intro of sorts continues to fill itself out with various textured waveforms. At that point the track takes on all the beauty of the early 2350 Broadway sessions like Vision of Pulse or Hands of Light. The gliding waves and spacial-effect folds swoosh through the listening area like audible solar winds. The track fades away lightly...." ~ http://2350.org/ps43/

His last album before he disappeared from the music scene, a return to form ~ excellent meditation or sleep music

Excerpt from Inland:

3. Global Communication, 76:14 (1994)

This album is just as good

4. The Orb, The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld (1991)
    5. Aphex Twin, Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (1992)
    6. The KLF, Chill Out (1990)
    7. Brian Eno, Ambient 1: Music for Airports (1978)
    8. Cluster and Brian Eno, Cluster & Eno (1977)
    9. Tangerine Dream, Phaedra (1974)
    10. Wendy Carlos, Sonic Seasonings (1972)

Much thanks to Michael,a/k/a Neuroticdog for hipping me to Dirk Serries and his Microphonics albums.This track,Microphonics xxiii-There's A Light In Vein, is from his Microphonics xxi-xxv cd.Enjoy.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Only just came across this post today (while searching for Stars of the Lid).

Thank you, thank you, thank you for directing me to this album.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Revisiting this thread reminds me how little I miss Svetonio.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Lots of great stuff to explore in this thread. I don't think Marconi Union has been mentioned yet. One of my favorites.

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Will need to check those out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cool. Some I would add and am maybe a little surprised I didn't see:

Bill Nelson - Crimsworth (Flowers, Stones, Fountains and Flames)
    Either of the David Sylvian/Holger Czukay collaborations
    Web (Bill Laswell and Terre Thaemlitz)
    Tangerine Dream - Zeit
    Maybe some early Popol Vuh

OK, bye.