Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 10 Classic Ambient Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    But the author does get my respect for including Wendy Carlos "Sonic Seasonings." It practically invented the genre.
    I'm honestly not sure I have heard that one of hers! Might have to correct that...thanks for the suggest
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Ditto, especially if you mean 'Departure' from....
    D'OH!!!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    D'OH!!!
    If you dig Departure, and haven't already checked it out, see if you can find 'Early Water,' the archival release that was basically a jam between Hoenig and Gottsching. Traaaaaaance...
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    'Early Water,' the archival release that was basically a jam between Hoenig and Gottsching. Traaaaaaance...

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I pull that one out a lot more than I thought I would. Something really special about that one.
    I hadn't listened to it in ages because I only had in on vinyl but recently I found a used copy of the expanded CD version. It time-traveled me back to the late 70's.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Assume we can include the Travis & Fripp albums, Follow, Thread & Live At Coventry Cathedral
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Substrata by Biosphere is my all-time favorite ambient album. A masterpiece IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Assume we can include the Travis & Fripp albums, Follow, Thread & Live At Coventry Cathedral
    Discretion

It ("Sonic Seasonings") is a combination of synth and natural sounds recorded in nature. Each side of the original 4 vinyl sides was a season (spring, summer, fall and winter). Very atmospheric and well done.

(Sorry, I meant to quote your post Battema)
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 08-13-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by trendy LA Weekly writer
    This was the first time they used the Moog sequencer (and one of the first commercial records to feature sequencers of any sort)
    What does he mean by "commercial record"? Morton Subotnick used a sequencer on Silver Apples Of The Moon, and that was something like 7 years before Phaedra.

I would definitely included something by Steve Roach, perhaps Structures From Silence or Possible Planet. I might have been inclined to include either Trances, Drones, or Sunyata, by Robert Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    This list is invalid without Boards of Canada. I'm kinda surprised GC made that list - I love GC. No Future Sounds of London either?
    These bands/albums are far from ambient music. Also Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream (except maybe "Zeit" in a marginal inclusion).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

They've got Global Communication in there, I'm happy
    Agree... Top choice.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Some albums that should be considered candidates for inclusion in a top ambient list:

ALIO DIE Sit tibi terra levis
    ARCANE DEVICE Also sprach Zarathustra
    ARKTAU EOS Ai Ma Ra
    BEEQUEEN Der holzweg
    CELER Discourses of the withered
    CHALK, Andrew & COLECLOUGH, Jonathan Sumac
    CHI The original recordings
    CONTRASTATE (Mort aux vaches series)
    DE GENNARO, Matt & GALBRAITH, Alastair Wire music
    DUAL Castle
    HALO MANASH Language of red goats
    INDIGO EGG Ixland
    IRRESISTIBLE FORCE Flying high
    ILLUSION OF SAFETY Of & The
    ISHQ Orchid
    JUNO REACTOR Luciana
    KILN Holo
    LOOP GURU The third chamber
    LULL Cold summer
    LUSTMORD Heresy
    MAIN Hz
    MIRROR Islands
    NAVEL Laika
    NOCTURNAL EMISSIONS Stoneface
    NURSE WITH WOUND Soliloquy for Lilith
    OOPHOI The spirals of time
    ORGANUM Sanctus
    RAJA RAM The mystery of the Yeti
    RAPOON Raising earthly spirits
    RICH, Robert Somnium
    SCANNER 1
    SETI Signals
    SHAIKH, Adham Journey to the sun
    STARS OF THE LID The tired sounds of Stars of the Lid
    THRALL, Ure Forbidden Fruit
    ULTRASOUND Loom
    WOOB 1194
    ZUVUYA (+ Terence McKENNA) Dream matrix telemetry
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-14-2015 at 02:59 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

There is a problem in general with genre classifications, especially in electronic music.
    The problem is with people who think that if it doesn't have a beat, or at least a constant pulse, it can't be considered music.
    Unfortunately, this makes hunting good Ambient/Electronic music very difficult.
    Go to eBay CDs and you'll see what I mean. A lot of the stuff under Ambient should be under "DJ Only".
    I love stuff by Harold Budd & Brian Eno, Steve Roach, and Kevin Braheny. To me, Ambient should flow, float, or ooze. Only special effects percussionists need apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Best bet is to just go see in the new age section of whatever remaining record shop still around.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I love stuff by Harold Budd & Brian Eno, Steve Roach, and Kevin Braheny. To me, Ambient should flow, float, or ooze. Only special effects percussionists need apply.
    I love Braheny too. His inclusion in the GEPR was one of the eyebrow-raising moments during my initial encounter with that fine tome. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I though the GEPR was very liberal about who it counted as "Prog" and Braheny was one that stuck out immediately. Lovely music, but not what I'd call rock. But of course, "rock" like "prog" or "ambient", is an increasingly nebulous concept, which often has more to do with association and marketing than with the music itself.

I agree that heavy beat tends to disqualify a piece from the ambient orbit in my ears too. Still, I can see a hypnotic percussion as part of an ambient track, especially if other constituents of the track (harmony, melody, texture) can be considered "floating" or "oozing". And a track can have a pulse without percussion. But that's just my view and certainly doesn't represent any majority view. I agree with Trane that new age section, if such a thing still exists, is the best way to go. I've certainly seen Braheny there.

The problem is with people who think that if it doesn't have a beat, or at least a constant pulse, it can't be considered music.
    Agree.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

One more from the recent camp of releases...Billow Observatory. LP/digital only, collaboration between Jonas Munk (of Manual) and Jason Kolb (Auburn Lull). Gorgeous stuff that would appeal greatly to fans of Stars of the Lid.

http://billowobservatory.bandcamp.co...ow-observatory

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just picked up the John Luther Adams - Become Ocean, gorgeous stuff.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Three of 70s Classic albums of ambient rock:

If you dig Departure, and haven't already checked it out, see if you can find 'Early Water,' the archival release that was basically a jam between Hoenig and Gottsching. Traaaaaaance...
    Me likey

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Pearl is my personal fave Budd album.
    That's a great one.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    ...I'd have put Mirage in the list for a KS nod, personally...

Klaus Schulze's Mirage is considered a classic trance album much more than an ambient album.

As for others on that list, I've always liked Tetsu Inoue's early-to-mid 90s albums, especially Ambiant Otaku, as well as many of the other excellent ambient and related electronic music records that were released on the FAX label back then.

William Basinski-Cascade

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Banned