Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magma Köhntarkösz which version ?

Nothing I am aware of- they had the recent CD/DVD release and that was pretty nice. Great version of Another Day, plus a version of Love in the Darkness (with Isabelle on lead, for a change) which made me aware of exactly how creepy the lyrics really are...

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Well, I hope Offering will release something eventually...
    By the way, Vander solo album "john coltrane l'homme supreme" is not bad...a bit strange but it has its moments...

Didja ever hear "To Love" by CV? Another weird record, to be sure.

I like some Vander solo work more than Magma. For instance, “A Tous Les Enfants”, “Les Cygnes et Les Corbeaux”. To Love is good too…

I love interpretations.

I love absolute over-the-top craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I love absolute over-the-top craziness.
    That three-chord keyboard vamp is way harder than it appears. His rhythmic placement is perfection.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Kohntarkosz is incredibly complex but misleadingly so. It sounds like a simple riff, really- those three chords drive the song, but underneath all sorts of crazy stuff is going on. Vander wrote this to mislead- the beat for the most of the composition is in front of or behind the rest of the instruments. I can't tell what the time signature(s) is, either. The vocal lines are complex as well. Just amazing every time I hear it, no matter what version.

I really enjoy the BBC 74 version - slower and still under construction innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I really enjoy the BBC 74 version - slower and still under construction innit.
    The early Kohntarkosz is a pretty different beast, especially the BBC and the Marquee versions where the forward motion is propelled in a more MDK "powerful lumbering repetitive rhythm" type way. When you get to the studio and especially the Magma Live recording however, there's a melody line in the beginning absent from the earlier versions and the piece takes on a more serpentine, rhythmically ambiguous tone. I find the earlier and later versions enjoyable for completely different reasons.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

It is always different. Every time.

Last edited by Dana5140; 03-01-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Köhntarkösz is such a fascinating piece of music. It kind of seems like deceptively simple but really is not. Have you seen any good written analysis about the composition? I would really like to learn more about it.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

"Apocalyptic Otherness: Black Music and Extraterrestrial Identity in the Music of Magma" by Kevin Holm-Hudson discusses "Köhntarkösz", among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    "Apocalyptic Otherness: Black Music and Extraterrestrial Identity in the Music of Magma" by Kevin Holm-Hudson discusses "Köhntarkösz", among other things.
    Thanks! I even have one book about progressive rock by Holm-Hudson in my bookself but this I have not read before.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I wrote to Kevin some years ago about that paper of his. I wish I could find the communication... (he cited me in his paper from the interview I did with CV for Option magazine way back in 1988). :-)