Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fragile remix with previously unknown-ish song All Fighters Past

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Too bad America is not on this release
    Isn't the long version of America on the Rhino remaster of Fragile and the single version of it on the Rhino remaster of CTTE? Also, isn't the single edit of America on the Panegyric version of CTTE? So, where is the long version of America? There is a live version of America on The Yes Album from Panegyric as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Isn't the long version of America on the Rhino remaster of Fragile and the single version of it on the Rhino remaster of CTTE? Also, isn't the single edit of America on the Panegyric version of CTTE? So, where is the long version of America? There is a live version of America on The Yes Album from Panegyric as well.
    I have the long version on the 2003 Rhino Expanded and Remastered, The 2002 DVD-A of Fragile, and on Yesterdays.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Awwww man...embryonic Topographic with Bruford on it? I wonder if this was found along with the Progeny tapes. I'm interested in this, but if I get one of the Wilson remixes I'm almost sure that I will be unable to stop myself from going ahead and getting them all. Just that one copy of Fragile would get lonely without its friends from the same run of reissues.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    "Red Light, Green Light",
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Just that one copy of Fragile would get lonely without its friends from the same run of reissues.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Wait, what?! There was a 20-minute version of that song and it got cut down to 2 minutes?
    Didn't Trevor Rabin say it was to be called TIME?

Why it didn't make the 90124 cd is baffling.

It seems like Rhino wasn't really reaching out to Rabin at all when they did the catalog. Otherwise there could have been better bonus cuts for 90125 and Big Generator. Also, I recall Rabin complaining about his era being underrepresented on The Word Is Live. Would it have killed them to push that out to four discs? I guess it was the 70s band out on the road at the time so more attention was lavished on the 70s albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Didn't Trevor Rabin say it was to be called TIME?

Why it didn't make the 90124 cd is baffling.
    It seems like a release of anything featuring the band then called Cinema would have to be cleared through WEA and also Kaye, White and the Squire estate where Rabin owned his personal demos lock,stock and barrel so there were no rights issues to overcome. Rabin might have the tapes, but that doesn't mean he can just put them out.

I can't imagine SW bringing anything to a mix of 90125 that would improve upon the original, personally. It's one of the better sounding albums of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I can't imagine SW bringing anything to a mix of 90125 that would improve upon the original, personally. It's one of the better sounding albums of the decade.
    Can't imagine re-releasing anything Trevor Horn has done. How do you improve upon that?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It's a stunning sounding album. Pretty shocking, given the awful dated technology and techniques of the 1980s.

Content wise--it also shines and sticks out---neither sounding like 1970s classic Yes, nor remotely connected to all that awful "Mike Stone" piece of shit AOR crap of the period. Nor does it sound like a poppy new wave record of the time.

90125 never got the proper credit it deserves, given how utterly unique it still is.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I have the long version on the 2003 Rhino Expanded and Remastered, The 2002 DVD-A of Fragile, and on Yesterdays.
    Does the Rhino version sound any better than Yesterdays?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Trevor had the opportunity to do up the 90124 release by letting these rare cuts see daylight..
    90124 was pre-Yes/pre-Cinema demos with presumably a different rights situation. I don't think there was an opportunity for it to have included material like "Time".

And then Voiceprint gloriously f*cked up the release anyway.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Awwww man...embryonic Topographic with Bruford on it? I wonder if this was found along with the Progeny tapes.
    Nothing suggests this was found with the Progeny tapes. Rather, it appears to have been found with the album multitracks.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    ????
    Descriptions of the making of the first Art of Noise album speak of them using a sample of Yes's rhythm section playing a song called "Red Light, Green Light". Nothing else is known of this song. Could it be related to the later Conspiracy track "Red Light Ahead"?

Henry

Awwww man...embryonic Topographic with Bruford on it? I wonder if this was found along with the Progeny tapes. I'm interested in this, but if I get one of the Wilson remixes I'm almost sure that I will be unable to stop myself from going ahead and getting them all. Just that one copy of Fragile would get lonely without its friends from the same run of reissues.
    I'm feeling the same way. I have no 5.1 system either, but perhaps it's time to invest in the series. I mean I only have these albums about 5 times each already, and I prefer even numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I'm feeling the same way. I have no 5.1 system either, but perhaps it's time to invest in the series. I mean I only have these albums about 5 times each already, and I prefer even numbers
    I personally think they are all worth it, regardless of the 5.1. The stereo remixes add so much detail and the various extras are great, like the extended "A Venture".

I understand the feeling that if you get one then you have to get all of them... I mean, that's completely mad, but I feel it too. ;-) The Panegyric Relayer is £12.11 + p&p on Amazon right now, so they're not expensive. We're not into £90 for the 16-disc THRAK territory here.

Henry

Thanks Henry, I am sufficient sold as to investigate further, and load up the shopping trolly. Is there just the one release for all (Relayer, CTTE, TYA), or are there multiple formats? I started reading Amazon and Relayer seemed to be Blu-Ray, whilst CTTE was DVD-A. I'm not really up on the technical nuances, only having a stereo system, and a DVD player, but it seems to me I ought to get the series in a similar format and possibly future proof my technology upscaling?

Edit - Having looked at Burning Shed I can see there are CD/Blu-ray and CD/DVD-A combinations - Can someone please advise on what is best for someone without 5.1 but who is interested in exploring this? Thank you
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 08-11-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    The long and short version of America is on the Panegyric Close To The Edge. The short is the single edit. The long is the original Yesterdays mix, the new stereo mix and in 5.1. Apparently the original version on the New Age Of Atlantic sampler LP was a dry mix with no reverb and the single edit is a cut-down version of that. You will notice that there isn't any reverb on the single. A few people on the Steve Hoffman forum were trying to find the original full lenth dry mix some time ago. I have joined the search but sadly to no avail.
    ... it seems Rabin has the tapes.
    Rabin said in an interiew that Alan and Tony have a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Trevor had the opportunity to do up the 90124 release by letting these rare cuts see daylight..
    The point of 90124 was that it was his solo demos before he brought them to any band. A collection of Cinema outtakes could be a whole new prospect!

3CD special edition -- my fantasy: original album remixed by Wilson, all the single edits/remixes, the original pre-Anderson version of the album, additional songs not used ("Make It Easy", "It's Over", "Red Light, Green Light", "Time" {the full-length, 20 minute "Cinema}), Rabin's pre-Cinema demos.
    Wilson responded some days ago on the QuadrophonicQuad forum that "Although I'm a fan of the Trevor Horn fronted Yes, I can't really say the same of the albums that he produced for them (too much AOR for me), so that wouldn't be something for me. But there are other Trevor Horn productions from that era that I would love to do, such as Slave to the Rhythm, or A Secret Wish."

Incidentally, I started the thread and he also disclosed that:

I did start on Tales a couple of years back, but honesty it's not really up to me when and if more are released, and right now I don't have any more tapes anyway. I believe that the multitrack tapes for Going for the One are currently not available. First 2 Yes albums I would think unlikely, not enough potential sales...etc But never say never. (...) I really hope Tales and Drama will eventually be done, they are (perhaps somewhat perversely) my 2 favourite Yes albums, and as I said a lot of work was done on Tales before the focus shifted to the "hit" albums, so I hope at least that one will eventually get a green light.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...r+yes+reissues

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    It's a stunning sounding album. Pretty shocking, given the awful dated technology and techniques of the 1980s.

Content wise--it also shines and sticks out---neither sounding like 1970s classic Yes, nor remotely connected to all that awful "Mike Stone" piece of shit AOR crap of the period. Nor does it sound like a poppy new wave record of the time.

90125 never got the proper credit it deserves, given how utterly unique it still is.
    I completely agree with everything you said.

This is the kind of thing I'd love to see.

This was titled Satellite. Unfortunately, in a huge fustercluck on Rhino's behalf, Song Nº 4 (later developed into Telephone Secrets) was title Song Nº 4 (Satellite) on the reissue of Drama. A lot of people don't realize that this is a completely different song. The bass riff was later used on Big Generator. Not surprising in hindsight as it's the only decent thing on the album. I'd love this to see an official release. In fact, I'd love to see official releases of the complete three-piece Townhouse sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Does the Rhino version sound any better than Yesterdays?
    The Yesterdays I have is probably from the early 90s (pre-Gastwirt), and sounds fabulous, thus I've always kept that CD

Edit - Having looked at Burning Shed I can see there are CD/Blu-ray and CD/DVD-A combinations - Can someone please advise on what is best for someone without 5.1 but who is interested in exploring this? Thank you
    All the releases so far are 1 CD + 1 Blu-ray OR 1 DVD-A. The Blu-rays have more stuff on them, although the extra stuff the Blu-rays have over the DVD-As is mostly quite niche stuff. The Blu-rays need something that can play them, which you may already have, a standalone Bluray player or a PS4, for example. I know less of DVD-As: they appear to have lost the format wars. If you have neither existing Blu-ray or DVD-A playing capacity, it's more likely that you'll get Blu-ray in the future.

Henry

Thanks Henry, that was my guess. It eluded me that there were new stereo mixes, hence I had overlooked these, but I think with future planning, I'll pick up the Blu-rays sets for each, as I would love one day to hear the surround mixes too.

In before page 30

Thanks Henry, that was my guess. It eluded me that there were new stereo mixes, hence I had overlooked these, but I think with future planning, I'll pick up the Blu-rays sets for each, as I would love one day to hear the surround mixes too.

With Blu-ray, you'll get the "highest" quality audio/video (higher bit-rates); granted you have to have something that can decode all this... I'm sure there's a Blu-ray vs DVD-A thread (or will be!).