Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best left-handed guitarists

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I have a weird one for you...I throw a baseball with my right hand but a football with my left
    That IS pretty weird, even for a lefty!

True story, back in the early 60's I remember one of my cousins was a natural lefty and as an infant when he'd reach for things with his left hand, my good Catholic Auntie would slap his hand and make him use his right (because of course, the left is the devil's hand)
    I'll refrain from my rant about organized religion; 'nuff said right there! In the most recent biography about Jimi Hendrix (called "Room Full of Mirrors" ), the author (Charles Cross) said that Jimi's father believed anything left-handed was "of the devil." Consequentially, although Jimi practiced lefty, he would switch to righty when he heard his dad coming towards his room. I have to wonder what he sounded like when he did that, but apparently it was good enough to keep Pops at bay.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's what the guy in the guitar shop told me when I bought mine, I'm equally crap with either hand, I still air guitar left handed, habit I guess.
    You can buy special left-handed air guitars.

Suspended
    I have a weird one for you...I throw a baseball with my right hand but a football with my left..
    I find the very concept of throwing a football weird. Here in Australia kick them, or occasionally pass them by punching, but not throwing.

I dare say Europeans would find the concept even more weird, because they call soccer "football".

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I'm not sure I would go so far as to call myself a guitarist (although it's my primary instrument), but I am right-handed...and play lefty guitars;
    Interestingly, you play a Rickenbacker 4001 (or at least you did in Mars Hollow), which is the same make and model played by Ed Gagliardi, the original bassist in Foreigner, who was also right handed but played the bass left handed. I think he said when he was a kid, whenever he'd air guitar to a Beatles song, he'd always do it left handed, because he was that much of a Paul McCartney fan, and by the time he actually started playing guitar, it just felt more natural for him to play left handed rather than right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    There have been left handers that have been persecuted over history and therefore lefties are the most "in the closet" group.
    Apparently, if you read your Old Testament carefully, there's bits where it's said that left handedness is evil or something like that. Consequently, throughout history, you've had people who've been, as you say, persecuted. It used to be commonplace in schools, for instance, to force left handed people to learn to use the right hand, going so far as to tying the students left hand down so it couldn't be used.

I remember reading an article on Paul McCartney back in 1989, when he first went back on tour for the first time in a decade or whatever it had been. He was talking about the whole left hand/right hand thing, and he said one of the guitarists in his band at the time, who was Scottish, and was naturally left handed. But apparently, in Scotland, they were more vehement about teaching children to use the "correct" hand (ie right hand) when doing things, than they were in Liverpool.