Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: King Crimson - THRAK 16 disc Boxed Set

The 5.1 mix of Thrak is amazingly good imho.

Still no shipping notification.

Oh well. Delayed gratification is still gratifying.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    All the boxed sets together make for a good fondle. I just wish the ITCOTCK set had been made with the same quality.

All right! Shipping notification today. Well, better eventually than never.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just wish the ITCOTCK set had been made with the same quality.
    There's always the 50th anniversary.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I finally opened my THRAK BOX on Christmas day. Sure I'm late to the party, but I'll dig in over this coming month.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I finally opened my THRAK BOX on Christmas day. Sure I'm late to the party, but I'll dig in over this coming month.
    I haven't opened mine yet. I've had it for weeks, but not had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

3) Tony’s Road Movies - footage of the band on the road as filmed by Tony Levin - all footage newly mastered for High Definition & featuring a soundtrack of previously unreleased material drawn from the band’s earliest rehearsals in 1994 - the first time that Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto and Bill Bruford met together (at Bill’s own studio). Originally captured in stereo on DAT, the audio has been up-mixed to Surround Sound so that all of the video features can be enjoyed in multi-channel audio.
    Listened to this last night, and I'd really like to hear more of these rehearsals. There's some really cool stuff going on here. I wonder why we didn't get a full disc of that.

DVD dispensation?

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    kinda wish they would abandon dvd discs at this point. anyone paying the premium for this boxset can afford a hundred dollar blu ray player at this point. other than that looks pretty good to me I don't know this era too well (been waiting for the 40th to finally buy the album) so will leave it to others to nitpick content selection.
    Actually for anybody who has dvds from various time periods may find they may not work on blu-ray machines making anything sold or burned before a certain date unplayable, therefore you would have to buy your entire collection all over again, it's not backward compatible. Currently I have 3 DVD players and 2 blu-ray players simply to be able to insure I am able to continue viewing older discs and not that far back either. There are also several DVDs with multiple origins in my collection which have to be changed from a BR to DVD player due to the change in technology. This actually makes repair of some older DVD machines preferable to buying new machines. I have one combo VHS/DVD player that will not play anything except store-bought DVDs before a certain date, it will not accept any burned discs whatsoever. Many continue to ask why VHS machines are still being sold and the answer is the same, nothing is carved in stone with technology and even though I have burned my VHS collection to DVD those DVDs may one day not play on a machine I have at the time, so I would have to revert back to the original VHS, so VHS as dead a medium as it is is still available in dubbing machines alone and dual playback units. I could go on and on about recording machines being antiquated, however anything not recorded in a current format is at risk of becoming unplayable unless the original format is available.
    Last edited by theendlessenigma; 06-27-2016 at 04:14 PM.

I'm a bit surprised at the questions pertaining to quality from the various time periods of the Crimson box sets. Obviously if this material is being presented in lossless and 5.1 formats etc. it means people who are buying the boxes know the differences in one technology compared to another. There is an almost 30 year gap between the music from the first album to Thrak and Thrak was recorded on DAT level equipment while ITCOTCK was done from an old multi-track to what has been called a faulty 2 track mastering open reel machine - so badly impaired that first album has been released on CD about a dozen times the engineers have kept trying to get it right. The first release was hideous, terrible, awful, any way you played it it was back to the vinyl time. I was surprised the box set was as good as it turned out. More material would have been nice, but that group fell apart so quickly they just didn't exist long enough I would imagine. The real disappointment in quality, I found, was The Larks box, now that one really did have some terribly rough spots, but by far Thrak makes up for early failings by being an amazing sounding set. Too expensive though. I think $150 is just too much for any one package and Road To Red dropped by $100 within 6 months of purchasing it.

I'm glad they do the DVDs in the two pack for the 5.1, because I have a DVD surround sound but I don't want to spend the money to upgrade to a Blu-ray surround sound.

On another note: there's a great article on the making of Lark's Tongues in Aspic in the new issue of Record Collector.