Thread: Happy Birthday, Allan Holdsworth!

Happy Birthday, Allan Holdsworth!

He's reached that magic number today, 69!

I can't begin to convey how much of an impact his music has had on me, so I won't try. I'm just glad he's still here and still at it! For me, the world's a more interesting place with Holdsy in it. Cheers, Allan!

I second that cheers!

My favorite living musician.
    I raise a Real Ale in your Direction, Mr. Holdsworth.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And Long Live the Synthaxe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And Long Live the Synthaxe!!!

I can listen to it if Holdsworth is playing.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I can listen to it if Holdsworth is playing.
    Me too, but a lot of people can't stand the thing going back to Atavachron.

The good news is that he's finally releasing new studio material, 15 years after the last album, "The 16 Men of Tain." The bad news is that he's only releasing one track at a time, download only and you have to sign up to PledgeMusic and... well, pledge. The first track is due to come out on August 10th. He says when it's all done, it may be released as a physical product.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/...ferrer=popular

^^^
    Hopefully he can make some money with that business strategy.

Money and 69 on this day...happy birthday AH.

What a true original....

He seems to be so critical of his own music that I'll be really surprised if he get's around to releasing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    He seems to be so critical of his own music that I'll be really surprised if he get's around to releasing anything.
    He has always been hyper-critical of his playing, but that hasn't kept him from releasing 11 studio albums and 3 live albums (if I'm counting correctly). Besides, I think that with having this PledgeMusic campaign where people are paying for the music before it comes out, he's obliged to release the material... and he has always been a "stand up" kind of guy. I've pledged my $15 for the (eventual) full album and I'm not worried in the slightest.

^^ here's hoping he stays healthy and continues to release new music. I really never stopped to count...11 studio albums? That is a lot! It's amazing to me that a musician as accomplished as AH needs a Kickstarter campaign to get his music out there. Kind of sad!

Not too shabby a guitarist at all. Happy Birthday to you Allan.

Got to meet him before he did a 1985 music store performance near LA to promote Metal Fatigue...incredibly nice guy. Happy BDay Mr Holdsworth
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Happy Birthday Maswster Hhhhhhhhhooooldsworth! He's been an inspiration to me as well; he rightfully gets lauded for his playing, but I for one really enjoy his composing. His way of putting chords and melodies together is unique and, to me, quite fascinating.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    The good news is that he's finally releasing new studio material, 15 years after the last album, "The 16 Men of Tain." The bad news is that he's only releasing one track at a time, download only and you have to sign up to PledgeMusic and... well, pledge. The first track is due to come out on August 10th. He says when it's all done, it may be released as a physical product.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/...ferrer=popular
    Actually, his plan does seem to be the release of an album. He's sharing the tunes as they're completed with pledgers as a gift for pledging.

We also pledged way back and have now received the first track. Let's just say, i'm salivating for the actual album now. The first tune heard so far - "Earth" - is killer

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...