Thread: Pugwash/Duckworth Lewis Method

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Pugwash/Duckworth Lewis Method

My prog bud turned me onto Pugwash and the associated Duckworth Lewis Method CDs recently; I in turn told him Pugwash sounded like the bastard child of XTC and ELO. I'm loving everything I've heard, with intelligent lyrics (Nudging and Nurdling aside), wonderful orchestral arrangements. The DLM discs lose a bit for me here across the pond as my knowledge of cricket is non-existent. I'll be seeing Pugwash in Sept. here in town at the Iron Horse, where my pal told me they put on quite a fun show last year. Fans? Favorites? I local record store employee I was talking with about the band dismissed them based on what he described as an overreliance on mid-tempo compositions. Works for me!

I'm not familiar with this stuff but I really enjoyed a cool of tracks I just listened to by Pugwash. Thanks!

All of the Pugwash releases are top notch. Tough to pick a favorite since they all pretty much tread the same path. Their latest non-compilation album, the Olympus Sound, is very good. They have a new album coming out September 4th - I have a feeling this one may be their finest (from the snippets I've heard)

I have never explored Pugwash, but loving cricket means that the two DLM discs are firm summer favourites.

Definitely agree about DLM and Neil Hannon's main band The Divine Comedy. He has a real knack for writing complex arrangements of simple songs for me.

Saw the DLM before the 2013 ashes, was a great night out!

I am a huge fan of The Divine Comedy. I think Neil Hannon has some great brilliance in crafting a nice pop song with some edge and fun all mixed in.

I really enjoy the 1st Duckworth Lewis CD but haven't spun the 2nd one too much.