Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project RnL-Amazing prog from Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Nice to note such overwhelming interest in new progressive rock music here.
    If they released an CD, I'd probably buy it. But with just Youtube videos, it's hard to get overly excited. They're clearly really good, but they need to do an album to really capture people's attention.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    they need to do an album to really capture people's attention. l
    Somehow I still don't think that will fully capture people's attention. First, the artist needs to NOT be from Israel - the only way 'Prog Mag' would write about an Israeli progressive band was if Steven Wilson had anything to do with them (and then those names make out the "prog scene" there - as allegedly with Amaseffer, Ephrat and other midly lackluster contestants). And if he or anyone closely associated with him or anyone else they trust have had anything to do with any other band from any other "strange prog place" (Chile, Montenegro, Iceland, Uruguay - you name it), then that counts positively as endorsement. Perhaps Billy Sherwood's uncle Freddie or some guy related to Anathema's hair stylist or at the f'n'chips deli outside of the Kscope offices has mentioned them? Ooh.

But to come out of nowhere playing music that's challenging and wildly well performed? For that to take off, people would actually have to take in the music itself. Utterly amazing titles are released every year, but they do NOT capture people's attention whatsoever when the "factor" isn't in place and active. The music's NOT all that matters, and sometimes it isn't even the primary variable.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Somehow I still don't think that will fully capture people's attention. First, the artist needs to NOT be from Israel - the only way 'Prog Mag' would write about an Israeli progressive band was if Steven Wilson had anything to do with them (and then those names make out the "prog scene" there - as allegedly with Amaseffer, Ephrat and other midly lackluster contestants). And if he or anyone closely associated with him or anyone else they trust have had anything to do with any other band from any other "strange prog place" (Chile, Montenegro, Iceland, Uruguay - you name it), then that counts positively as endorsement. Perhaps Billy Sherwood's uncle Freddie or some guy related to Anathema's hair stylist or at the f'n'chips deli outside of the Kscope offices has mentioned them? Ooh.

But to come out of nowhere playing music that's challenging and wildly well performed? For that to take off, people would actually have to take in the music itself. Utterly amazing titles are released every year, but they do NOT capture people's attention whatsoever when the "factor" isn't in place and active. The music's NOT all that matters, and sometimes it isn't even the primary variable.
    Well, it's all relative. They'll capture way more attention if they release a CD than if they just do a bunch of YouTube videos. Will they be the next big thing in Prog Rock? Probably not, though they have the potential to be in some respects - and in this regard I think we are in agreement, and largely in agreement about why that won't happen and that it's a damned shame they won't.

But they have no shot at anything without having a legit product on the market. That was my point, and I think it's valid.

Bill

I like the RnL videos, though I'm not sure there's enough 'depth' there for me to enjoy a full album in the same style. I realise youtube probably isn't the place for the deep cuts.

I enjoyed Anakdota a lot more, though I don't know if that's still a going concern.

Ray's vocals are great!

Well, the two videos posted above, have over 300 THOUSAND views between them. So the notion a cd is needed to get "attention" isn't really valid. I agree that the mainstream may never hear of them. A sad truth. They well may need a Wilson to bring them attention like he did with Geffen, but he was huge over there before he teamed up with him. But still, that being said, 300 thousand views is NOTHING to sneeze at. So many bands post youtube stuff now its nuts. But I agree, i need an album...soon!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    A sad truth. They well may need a Wilson to bring them attention like he did with Geffen, but he was huge over there before he teamed up with him. But still, that being said, 300 thousand views is NOTHING to sneeze at. So many bands post youtube stuff now its nuts.
    All too true. Geffen all of a sudden "came to brilliance" through apparent endorsements as effect of the Wilson coop - not on his own merits. If RnL go on to score a deal with a label outside of the usual clique of the "official prog network", then that too will work against them as far as attention with the "prog audience" goes.

Of course I agree that they should release an album, and preferably under the wing of someone whose dedication to the cause emannates from artistic and musical valeur alone, rather than the shallow adherence to alleged "style". This band would be perfect for AltrOck, for instance - although significant parts of the "prog community" seem to keep even THEM at arms' length... For whatever ridiculous reason.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 08-16-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I guess collabs with Jordan Rudess just isn't enough.

Unless the band self-releases or Inside Out takes an interest in the band I don't see a release in the near future.

(This comment is based on personal experience)

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Well, the two videos posted above, have over 300 THOUSAND views between them. So the notion a cd is needed to get "attention" isn't really valid.
    So, 300,00 people viewed their videos and went, "OK, now what?" I checked them out and I like them, but I can't act on that. There's nothing to act on other than watch Youtube videos. How does that help the artist if they don't follow it up? What am I supposed to say about the band other than, "cool, wake me up when they have a CD (Or its moral equivalent)"?

Don't get me wrong, using Youtube to get the word out is a fine strategy, and it may have garnered the band some attention. But you won't see them discussed seriously as an active, current group if they don't have some presence beyond that. So yes, they have people's attention at some level. But they're not going to really garner any accolades or serious discussion until they have some product out there. That was my point.

I'd think they would be a good fit for a label like AltrOck or even Inside Out if they wanted to stretch a bit. They are clearly talented and have potential. But if they're just tossing a tune up on Youtube occasionally for a laugh, no one should be surprised that they don't generate a lot of discussion on PE or elsewhere.

Bill

Hey guys - Eyal Amir from RnL here!
    Thank you for mentioning us in this thread. I've really enjoyed reading the discussion here (yes, even the 'bad' reviews - I always appreciate people speaking their minds).

I definitely agree with your criticism regarding a full CD release. Due to some problems with the band and some personal issues of mine (I've been battling some health issues over the past two years which fortunately are mostly resolved by now), the CD release got delayed, as well as US tour plans we've had.

However - in the past couple of months or so we've been working extremely hard, played 5 shows (all local here in Israel) that have been very successful and drew a lot of attention around here, and we will probably launch a fundraising campaign in the next few weeks to record our "real" debut album. Following that there will probably be a US/European tour involved - but only after we've done that long-needed step and record an 'official' release.
    We have released a lot of materials of the past 4-5 years (some under my name, and some under the RnL name) that have been quite successful in the YouTube realm, but we agree that the next step needs to be taken ASAP.

Thank you again for listening, reviewing and paying so much attention to what we do. It means the world to us.
    Eyal Amir

P.S. you can also email me at eyalamirmusic@gmail.com in case I miss out on the threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by EyalAmir View Post
    Hey guys - Eyal Amir from RnL here!
    Thank you for mentioning us in this thread. I've really enjoyed reading the discussion here (yes, even the 'bad' reviews - I always appreciate people speaking their minds).

I definitely agree with your criticism regarding a full CD release. Due to some problems with the band and some personal issues of mine (I've been battling some health issues over the past two years which fortunately are mostly resolved by now), the CD release got delayed, as well as US tour plans we've had.

However - in the past couple of months or so we've been working extremely hard, played 5 shows (all local here in Israel) that have been very successful and drew a lot of attention around here, and we will probably launch a fundraising campaign in the next few weeks to record our "real" debut album. Following that there will probably be a US/European tour involved - but only after we've done that long-needed step and record an 'official' release.
    We have released a lot of materials of the past 4-5 years (some under my name, and some under the RnL name) that have been quite successful in the YouTube realm, but we agree that the next step needs to be taken ASAP.

Thank you again for listening, reviewing and paying so much attention to what we do. It means the world to us.
    Eyal Amir

P.S. you can also email me at eyalamirmusic@gmail.com in case I miss out on the threads here.
    Awesome, great to hear. I'm definitely in for your release, and I'm glad to hear that it's on track. All the best!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Awesome, great to hear. I'm definitely in for your release, and I'm glad to hear that it's on track.
    Seconded!

Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    To add to Scrotum'S list of modern, Yuval Ron and Residents Of The Future
    That was lovely. Man, i'm a big fan of Tammy's now after this and the one with Eyal (Latin Dream).
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Alright, we're filming a concert tomorrow, and expect an announcement in the next couple of weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by EyalAmir View Post
    Alright, we're filming a concert tomorrow, and expect an announcement in the next couple of weeks!
    I'll be waiting!! Good luck!

Yuval Ron will release a new album this year, featuring Marcus Minnemann: https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/yuval-ron-universe
    The video is great fun! And so is the music (from the samples you hear in the clip).

Holy cow! How am I just now seeing this?!

Man... This is wonderful. And yes, it does remind me quite a bit of Allan Holdsworth. Too cool for words.

I am also a late comer. The guys are amazing, vocals are simply jaw dropping

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    That was lovely. Man, i'm a big fan of Tammy's now after this and the one with Eyal (Latin Dream).
    After having finally watched/heard, I can totally see why. What a voice! And I'm not usually one for vocals in a jazz/fusion setting. Allan Holdsworth is about the only exception to that for me. But this? This is really nice.