Thread: Geoff Downes Latest Interview. Pt. 1.

Geoff Downes Latest Interview. Pt. 1.

On Friday, August 7th, legendary Prog Rock band Yes will begin a new tour. Co-headlining with Toto, the tour will hit twenty-six cities, beginning in Connecticut and wrapping up in British Columbia. And although combined these bands have sold close to a hundred million records, what makes this tour stand out from all the others in the past forty-plus years of the band is that bass player Chris Squire will not be onstage with them, a fact that adds a hint of melancholy to what is usually an exciting event. Squire, a founding member who has appeared on every one of the band’s twenty-one studio albums, passed away this year on June 27th from a rare form of leukemia. The band members knew that Squire’s treatment would prevent him from participating in the North American tour so former Yes member Billy Sherwood was handpicked to take his spot. “The other guys and myself have agreed that Billy Sherwood will do an excellent job of covering my parts and the show as a whole will deliver the same Yes experience that our fans have come to expect over the years,” Squire said in a statement in May.

So with the tour looming on the August horizon and their third annual cruise from November 15-19, the band has reconvened to share the magic and wonderment of a band called Yes. Glide had the honor of speaking with longtime keyboard player Geoff Downes a few days ago about the future of Yes and what it was like when he first came into the band in 1980 following his tenure in the Buggles, whose 1979 catchy yet quirky “Video Killed The Radio Star” was used to launch MTV on August 01, 1981.

Downes made his first appearance in Yes on their 1980 album Drama. The band would split in early 1981 but with bandmate Steve Howe, Downes would form Asia with ELP drummer Carl Palmer and King Crimson vocalist John Wetton. Their synth-heavy pop tunes, including the #1 single “Heat Of The Moment,” would garner them major success for a few years. Downes would continue to work with various former bandmates in other projects, as well as releasing his own solo albums. He would reunite with Yes in 2011, recording the albums Fly From Here and Heaven & Earth with them. In 2013, they did a tour playing three of their classic albums, The Yes Album, Close To The Edge and Going For The One, in their entireties.

geoff downes yes tour 2015

You are about to embark on a tour with Toto next week. I’m sure you are all very excited about that but at the same time I’m sure there is an air of melancholy as well without Chris.

Yeah, we were all very saddened by the news of Chris’ passing. I think we all felt that he was going to pull through and he got diagnosed with this rare form of leukemia a few months ago. He was very optimistic that he would actually pull through but unfortunately that wasn’t the case. He already knew that he wouldn’t be able to do the tour and he suggested we get Billy to cover for him, Billy Sherwood, in the event that he wouldn’t be able to do it. And like I said, unfortunately, that remained the case and we weren’t able to do it with Chris. But certainly I think that we all felt it was very important to continue the legacy of Yes, and not just for Chris’ sake but also for the fans and plans and preparations for the tour and the expectations and everything like that. So as you say, there is an air of melancholy but at the same time I think we’ve got to make sure that we try and keep that legacy of Yes going for as long as we possibly can.

And you said it was actually Chris who suggested Billy to play?

He did, yeah, and Billy was already in line to do the tour prior to Chris’ death and in some ways we are all looking forward to going out because I think it’s important to keep, for everybody, Yes alive and kicking as much as we can. I think that was Chris’ wishes and I think during the course of the show, obviously, there will be a very fitting tribute to Chris, and I think that’s important as well. So it’s kind of a strange situation for all of us, I think, because none of us has been in that position before. But we will do the best we can and I think the band will be very strong. I think the bill with Toto is a good billing because they’re a very musical band. We’re in the entertainment business and I think we’ll hopefully give people a good feeling when they go away from the show and have had a good night of music.

chrisquire

I think the fans will appreciate it too, as they can show their love for you and what Chris has contributed. So it’s a two-way street there.

It is, absolutely. I agree. But we’ll have to see what happens. It’s kind of unknown territory for us, obviously, because Chris was such an integral part of the band, and was from the beginning. He was on every single one of the twenty-one or twenty-two studio albums and remained in the band from the beginning so I think that’s important in some respects. We’ll keep that to the fore.

Is the readjustment without Chris and having Billy there, is it weird, for lack of a better word?

I don’t think it’s weird in so much the fact that Billy is a former member of Yes as well and he had quite a long period with them in the ‘90’s, and also that he wrote with Chris on other projects, as he has done with all of us in various aspects. I’ve done a lot of projects with Billy over the years, several projects and stuff, so that side of it is not weird. But we’ll have to see how it all works out. But I think if anybody was going to take Chris’ place in any capacity, Billy is probably, certainly the chosen one for the job.

You wrote a very lovely tribute to Chris on your website. It really touched upon his humorous side, which a lot of people didn’t get to see. They thought he was really serious and you brought his humor out in it.

You know, Chris was an extremely very funny guy to be with. I had the privilege of working with him on many occasions and we always got along really well. He was very much a champion of my music or my contributions and he was pretty much institutional in getting me involved in the band in the first place. So I’m extremely grateful from that aspect. But nothing’s going to take his place in terms of what he was as a guy. He was great company. We’d sit there and he’d talk about all kinds of things. He not only had a passion about his music but for life in general. And I think that’s the one thing I’ll miss is getting up onstage and standing up there and not seeing his omnipresent figure there and knowing that he was giving it his all every night and that was very much what Chris was about. When he’d go on that stage, that was HIS stage, and I’m grateful I was able to share that with him.

geoff downes 01When you first joined the band, was he the most serious member?

Well, the main thing about Yes is that we’re all very, very different characters and I think that’s probably one of the reasons why it has been so successful and has been for years. You’ve got a number of very contradictory characters – some people like to be very serious, some people like to be more open. It’s probably one of those bands that didn’t really have a form, it just kind of happened, and all these different personalities kind of converged in the middle somewhere and I think what made the music so great is you had all those different personalities and different influences that actually, when you put it all together, it created something that was completely unique. And I think that’s one of the things that Yes’ music has always had is it’s uniqueness, a sound to itself. And I’m sure you read all the tributes about Chris from all sorts of different kinds of musicians. They’re not just Progressive Rock guys but you’re talking about the influence of Yes going way beyond just Prog music, you know. The depth of it goes to all kinds of music and I think that was one of the great attributes of not only Chris’ contributions but Yes’ music in general.

Yes also has the cruise coming up in November

Yeah, cruise #3. That should be interesting (laughs). I think it will be. There’re some great bands on board, and the fans can actually rub shoulders with the bands they’ve admired and followed over the years, and some of the bands they’ve never got a chance to see, and would like to, they can see all in one place. And I think from that standpoint it’s a great coming together of a lot of true music fans.

You weren’t really a rock & roll kid growing up, were you?

When I was studying for my exams at school, I was really into Time & A Word, the second Yes album, and that was virtually nonstop on my old record player, whatever it was, a Dansette Major, and I had that album and that was really the backdrop to my sort of life at school, if you like. It had a big impression on me. Yes, and a lot of the music that was coming out of the UK at the time, bands like Caravan and Curved Air and that sort of thing, that was very much kind of the backdrop to my upbringing, if you like.

When you first came into Yes, what was the most complicated song for you to learn?

Well, they’re all complicated (laughs). I mean, I tried to remain as faithful as I could be to the original concept from a keyboard standpoint but I think the most challenging, in more recent times, was the track “Close To The Edge” because it goes from so many different changes; but it’s all very challenging stuff and how they came up with that in the first place. But that was probably the most challenging piece of music that I had to play with the band. I think there’d been three or four keyboard players that have sort of put their stamp on Yes’ music over the years and I think it’s important to follow that legacy, to try and not copy it per se but to try and play the parts as they were written. That’s very important.

Pt. II of Geoff Downes. Were you made to feel comfortable putting your little spin on it or would they have rather you stayed truer?

Funny enough, Chris was always the one that would say, “Don’t stick too heavily to that.” He was always extremely supportive of my input. At the same time, knowing it’s certain charted territory that you have to adhere to. Like if you play a classical music piece, you’re not going to stray too far from the original score because then it ceases to have any significance to what you’re actually doing.

How much farther do you see the advancement of the keyboards going? What else can that instrument do – it’s so advanced as it is.

It’s funny because I don’t think it’s really developed significantly over the last few years. Keyboards these days are capable of doing everything, even orchestral sounds; the world is your oyster. I’ve always been interested in the technological side of the keyboard playing and instruments. I’ve always tried to be ahead of the game in terms of whatever the latest piece of equipment, even if it just makes one decent sound. Having said that, I’m sure there will be different things develop over the years, though I don’t know how much further you can really take it, to be honest.

Are you planning to do any more producing in the near future?

No, only so much as when I’m doing my own projects. I tend to not do other productions anymore. I did it for a while but I never felt that comfortable with it because as a producer you’re almost on the other side of the game of being a musician. Nowadays, I like to think of it as an extension of what I’m doing musically. It’s kind of the end result rather than stepping aside from being a musician. I don’t know if I could do that again.

When all this is done, the tour and the cruise, do you think Yes can do another record? Do you think that’s possible?

I think it’s a possibility. I think much of this is kind of an early situation that we have not yet managed to look at. We’ll take address of the situation once we’ve got through the tour and the cruise and see how not just the fans response is but how we feel internally about the situation. But I think we’ve got a very, very strong core, obviously long term fundamental members of the band, and Jon Davison who is a fabulous singer and fabulous talent that we’ve got on board, so I think there’s life in the old dog yet (laughs).

Last Question: Why did you spray your school shoes silver when you were thirteen?

(laughs) Very good question. Because I was an exhibitionist, always have been. And I will probably go to the silver shoes on this tour again.

"I think much of this is kind of an early situation that we have not yet managed to look at. We’ll take address of the situation once we’ve got through the tour and the cruise and see how not just the fans response is but how we feel internally about the situation. But I think we’ve got a very, very strong core, obviously long term fundamental members of the band, and Jon Davison who is a fabulous singer and fabulous talent that we’ve got on board, so I think there’s life in the old dog yet (laughs)."

I wonder if Downes considers himself a "long-term, fundamental member of the band."

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I wonder if Downes considers himself a "long-term, fundamental member of the band."
    He might, at this point. With Chris (and Jon A.) gone, there's a leadership vacuum, and neither Steve nor Alan really seem like the type to take charge. Geoff, on the other hand, has spent quite a few years filling the "Chris" role in Asia, that of the guy who stays steady through all the personnel changes. And I get the feeling Yes recruited him because he still wrote and hadn't run out of ideas.

I think Geoff, like Billy, had a Yes pedigree and that alone means a certain degree of acceptance among the fans. There is, after all, a bit of a legitimacy problem for the band since Jon left. And now there are no original members left - it's tough. There's clearly a leadership void and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I guess I'll see for myself on the 14th at the Dayton show.
    The Prog Corner

No original members left.

But Sherwood is pretty tight with Tony Kaye, having played together in CIRCA:

Perhaps a 2-keysman lineup in the future?
    Last edited by ItalProgRules; 08-04-2015 at 02:29 PM.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Perchance no.

It's an honest interview- looks like they are taking a 'let's see how it goes' approach to the already-booked concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Perchance no.

Awesome, thanks for looking into the future for me.

Wish I had that super-power.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

It's pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    He might, at this point. With Chris (and Jon A.) gone, there's a leadership vacuum, and neither Steve nor Alan really seem like the type to take charge. Geoff, on the other hand, has spent quite a few years filling the "Chris" role in Asia, that of the guy who stays steady through all the personnel changes. And I get the feeling Yes recruited him because he still wrote and hadn't run out of ideas.
    Geoff IS ASIA pretty much. Like Chris, he has been on every album, but also wrote most if not all of the material since 1982.

Geoff tends to blend in with whatever band he gets involved with... or at least get his name in the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Geoff tends to blend in with whatever band he gets involved with... or at least get his name in the credits.
    WTF does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Buggles,Yes,Asia,Icon,Yes. What does "blend in or at least get his name in the credits" actually mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Buggles,Yes,Asia,Icon,Yes. What does "blend in or at least get his name in the credits" actually mean?
    It means "I want to make sure I get in an insult while there's an active Downes thread, but the subject at hand doesn't lend itself to anything concrete, so I'll say something vague that sounds snarky while not actually meaning anything at all."

Bingo

Yes Pays Tribute To Founding Bassist
    Yes
    Yes, without founding bassist Chris Squire (far right), plays Foxwoods on Aug. 7. (Courtesy Mitch Schneider Organization)
    By Michael Hamad contact the reporter MTV
    "He was the principal lynchpin of Yes." Geoff Downes talks about the legacy of Chris Squire.
    Yes, the British prog-rock band who'll perform at Foxwoods on Aug. 7, has been around since the late 1960s. To say it has weathered a few lineup changes is grossly understating the situation: Wikipedia awards band-member status to no less than 20 musicians, not counting most studio or touring players. Some (drummer Alan White) have been in Yes for decades, while others (keyboard player Eddie Jobson) are short blips in the timeline. It's easy to lose track.

Somehow the fluidity of its membership doesn't damage Yes. Fans keep showing up. Radio stations keeps playing "I've Seen All Good People." But the death of bassist Chris Squire earlier this year represents something different: he was the one constant figure, the only founding member to ride the whole ride, through every incarnation, over nearly 50 years.

"When we heard the news about Chris, we were all beside ourselves, not only with grief but knowing what he's done for Yes over the years," current keyboardist Geoff Downes said. "He was the principal lynchpin of Yes."

cComments
    Got something to say? Start the conversation and be the first to comment.
    ADD A COMMENT
    Three months ago, Squire, who had leukemia, told his bandmates White, Downes, guitarist Steve Howe and singer Jon Davidson about his upcoming surgery. Assuming he'd pull through, they tapped Yes alum Billy Sherwood (1997-2000) to fill in. "We made plans for the tour some time ago, and Chris told us that he wasn't able to do it," Downes said. "We hoped at the time that it was a temporary situation." Squire died on July 27, at age 67.

As the Buggles, Downes and Trevor Horn launched MTV with "Video Killed the Radio Star" (also a number-one single) in 1979. In the era of punk and New Wave, Yes was floundering.

"Chris came around to my flat at the time and said, 'Your album is really great,'" Downes said. "[Yes] had a slight misfire with their album, the one they started in Paris [after "Tormato," from 1978], and Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman had gone off and done other things."

Sensing they'd help Yes find its way, Squire recruited both musicians to join for the 1980 "Drama" album; Downes and Horn stayed only a year, but continued to work with Yes in various ways. Downes rejoined Yes in 2011. "I'm eternally grateful to him and his confidence in my abilities and my performances," Downes said. "He was very much as a partisan behind what I was doing as well."

Squire's guitar-like attack, aggressive sound and melodic lines influenced generations of rock bass players. He provided less of an anchor and more of a counterpoint, giving Yes' music a certain deftness and touch — a contrast to some of the era's heavier, progressive music. He also had a considerably high voice, which he used to great effect.

"You have to also consider that Jon Anderson's input was huge from the beginning," Downes said. "The style of Yes music is really quite unique... It moves beyond just being a regular rock band. It has its own stamp. Yes music, if you look back historically: there aren't a lot of bands that make music like that. It's a unique band that has made a considerable number of breakthrough albums, and hopefully we'll be able to continue with that legacy. "

In the wake of Squire's death, Downes said, breaking up Yes wasn't an option. "In many ways, it was his baby," Downes said. "He carried it on for as long as he possibly could. In that respect, that's one of the reasons why we're continuing, not only just to honor that legacy but to carry on what he set out to achieve."

"When I had conversations with Chris about things," Downes continued, "he said, 'Well, Yes is going to continue whether you, me, X, Y or Z are in the equation.' That was his wish... I think Yes is very much a brand. It's a style of music, and we'll try to continue that legacy and carry the candle as far as we can."

With Sherwood on board, Yes tours North America through the early fall, starting at Foxwoods and ending in Vancouver on Sept. 12. The band plans to honor Squire with a tribute at every show.

"There's a planned segment of the show when we will definitely pay homage to Chris' role over the years," Downes said. "That's very important. But Yes music is a style as much as anything else, and he was an integral part of that. We'll honor that legacy and hopefully continue along the lines of what he originally set out to achieve. Hopefully [the tribute] will be very poignant. It will be a moving part of the show. It's not just a case of business as usual. We need to look at the fact that Chris was an integral part of the whole thing. That's an important part of the forthcoming tour. It's a very difficult position for us because everybody is very, very sad about his passing, and that's something that we're not going to get over quickly."

YES performs at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket on Friday, Aug. 7 at 8 p.m., with Toto opening. Tickets are $50-$60. Information: foxwoods.com.