Thread: Your fav freebie compo

Your fav freebie compo

Over the years I've binned most of them after a few listens, but I still have loads left on cassette and CD.
    But I think my very fav is the one that came with an issue of Uncut in 2010, "An Autumn Almanac - 15 songs in the spirit of Ray Davies" Artists: Kate Rusby, Nick Lowe, Squeeze, Darren Hayman and The Secondary Modern, Wreckless Eric, Sandy Denny & The Strawbs, Erland and the Carnival, Kevin Ayers, James Yorkston, Field Music, Richard Thompson, Bill Fay, Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3, Wild Billy Childish and the Musicians of the British Empire, Roy Harper.
    I listen to it regularly.

Uncut did (do) really good free CD cover mounts. My personal favourite was from 2004 called Americana. I think i bought about half a dozen albums by artists i'd never invested time in after listening to this - Jay Farrar, Iron and Wine, Richmond Fontaine, Jesse Sykes & The Hereafter, The National. They really took some care to curate this one and its one of the rare ones i've kept and still listen to occasionally.

I've also got a lot of time for a MOJO compilation, Trash: The Roots of Punk, which takes a look at the bands that influenced punk in the UK. Its got your usual Iggy & The Stooges, New York Dolls, Dr. Feelgood, Mott the Hoople, but also Hawkwind, Can, Jook, Kilburn & the High Roads, Groundhogs, Hollywood Brats amongst others.

Uncut did (do) really good free CD cover mounts. My personal favourite was from 2004 called Americana. I think i bought about half a dozen albums by artists i'd never invested time in after listening to this - Jay Farrar, Iron and Wine, Richmond Fontaine, Jesse Sykes & The Hereafter, The National. They really took some care to curate this one and its one of the rare ones i've kept and still listen to occasionally.

I've also got a lot of time for a MOJO compilation, Trash: The Roots of Punk, which takes a look at the bands that influenced punk in the UK. Its got your usual Iggy & The Stooges, New York Dolls, Dr. Feelgood, Mott the Hoople, but also Hawkwind, Can, Jook, Kilburn & the High Roads, Groundhogs, Hollywood Brats amongst others.

Finally, a 2006 tribute to Neil Young called Like A Hurricane - also from Uncut - with artists doing covers of NY. Some brilliant versions of tracks like Down by the River (Low & The Dirty Three), Mr Soul (Patty Hurst Shifter) and After the Goldrush (Flaming Lips).