Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Captain Beefheart's musical merits

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Don's visual art was intentionally primitive -- but unlike the music, he didn't have 'assistants' to polish it up before putting it out there. His paintings may have had the same spark of creativity and unconventionality that his music had -- but unfortunately they're childishly executed. IMO
    I disagree on the art though... To a classically trained fine artist - making art like Don's (to me at least) is rather difficult. Your brain doesnt like to make moves that are indicative of child-like expression or "wrong" if you will. I have friends who can make amazing art because they have no background or experience. It's why I love children's art so much. It's untrained perspective that gives that freedom. The randomness. I'm not saying you're wrong in any way to think that though. Art is that way. To each their own pleasures.

The childlike nature of his visual art was part of his personality. He had a very naive, almost immature side of his personality that I've always found endearing. Of course, as Through the Eyes of Magic proves, he could be a nasty bully, too. I think it comes from everyone telling you you're a genius practically since you were born. (which he was)

I think of it like Dale Chihuly, the glass artist. Most Chihuly pieces are no longer actually physically made by Chihuley. Most Van Vliet compositions were brought to life by genius musicians, followoing a genius visionary.

And I actually got to see these guys play live, way way back. It was actually pretty weird in a time when all things were weird.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.