Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
you won't be able to find or install MSE on Win 10 - Windows Defender replaced it as of 8.1 i believe and is built into Win 10. basically the same thing though.
You are correct, I got that message when I tried to install Microsoft Security Essentials on my Netbook this morning. I didn't have long to look, but I didn't see Windows Defender running in the task tray and couldn't find it easily to run a scan and see how it is set up. But I did uninstall Avast, which was running OK with Windows 10, but was really making things slow. I'm hoping that improves it.

I installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my desktop after uninstalling Avast, and so far I'm quite happy with it. The desktop is more powerful and was zippier even with Avast, but MSE seems just as good and is less obtrusive. I'll uninstall it if/when I get around to upgrading this box to Windows 10.

One question I had related to Avast. I only had the free version, but Avast advertised some cleanup and system optimization tools that looked useful. Does anyone know of some similar free tools that would cleanup after uninstalling programs and optimizing your system?

Bill