Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

All technology companies suck in this regard...either the hardware can no longer support the new OS or the OS leaves all your expensive applications for dead or....it never ends.
    <sig out of order>

Speaking of OS updates, how about all those schmucks that had non-Apple techs work on their iPhone 6 and the last update turned their phones to bricks? Nasty move but I sorta understand why Apple did it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    All technology companies suck in this regard...either the hardware can no longer support the new OS or the OS leaves all your expensive applications for dead or....it never ends.
    You're right. There is no driver available for my Akai Z4 sampler, which still works great, but I can only use it with an old Windows XP computer.

This is the nature of IT - software pushes hardware development, hardware pushes software development - it's a never ending cycle.

Just use what you got and be happy with it.

Ye must not lust.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    This is the nature of IT - software pushes hardware development, hardware pushes software development - it's a never ending cycle.

Just use what you got and be happy with it.

Ye must not lust.
    I hear you! I have Sonar on my XP computer. I had the Producer edition and later on I got a deal on X1 Studio. I like it because I had some great plugins that came with the Producer edition but I know the days of that computer and all it's software are numbered.

Recently I downloaded the trial of Reaper and have been playing around with it. There aren't a ton of fancy plugins that come with it, mostly the bare bones essential things. I just mixed a short recording my son made of his drum kit which had six mics on it. He and I both used Reaper. Sounds great and pretty easy to use. The price is right at $60 for the home license and there are both Mac and PC versions. So that's a future option.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    You're right. There is no driver available for my Akai Z4 sampler, which still works great, but I can only use it with an old Windows XP computer.
    Have you tried messing around with compatibility mode (in Windows 7, etc.)? I got an older printer driver to work that way with Windows 8.1 and 10.
    <sig out of order>

Have you tried messing around with compatibility mode (in Windows 7, etc.)? I got an older printer driver to work that way with Windows 8.1 and 10.
    Don't know how to do that.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...d-party-repair

Which means I will probably look for a different make for my next phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Don't know how to do that.
    I don't really remember all the details, but I think what happened was Windows 10 (actually, it might have been 8.1 - I updated to 10 almost immediately upon getting the computer so several things happened in a short period of time) detected the incompatibility and suggested using different settings for the install that would allow Windows to simulate running the driver in an older version of the OS. There are dialogs that come up and ask questions and you can try different modes until you find one that works. What version of Windows do you have? I know Windows 7 has options for compatibility modes, but I don't know if it's as user friendly with dialog boxes popping up, etc. It may be more of a manual process.

I found some instructions: http://tinyurl.com/jolevkk
    <sig out of order>

Now this is just weird. I have both my laptop and my desktop on my desk, both up and running. There's no network set up. The desktop has been having issues playing audio and while I'd like to just dump it to the basement, I prefer using it for my work stuff. I've got one of those funky ergonomic keyboards and it's just a lot easier for me to type on. So I decided to change the wallpaper on the laptop. I turn back to the desktop and it now has the same wallpaper. I tried it again and boom, identical wallpapers. I switch the desktop and it changes the laptop as well. What the hell is going on here?

Edit: found it - apparently there is a default to "sync settings" on the same Microsoft account and something triggered it. It's a good thing my wife's PC is on another account or she would have ended up with a desktop of a young woman wearing only grey knee socks.
    Last edited by Jerjo; 02-24-2016 at 04:10 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Typical dumb-ass Microsoft defaults. I always chuckled at their CD burning software where you had to deselect the default setting that ruined your audio CDs or the pdf print window where you have to tell it to NOT shrink your page to fit printer margins.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...d-party-repair

Which means I will probably look for a different make for my next phone.
    One of the many reasons why I'll never buy an Apple product.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There is also a setting in the update section about doing peer to peer windows updates.
    I almost sounds like one 10 machine could "infect" other machines on your home network, or in the neighborhood....
    Nah, they wouldn't do that.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I think 10 is on my laptop from a recent update and is waiting to be activated.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    I think 10 is on my laptop from a recent update and is waiting to be activated.
    Pray

Someone from "Microsoft" in India will be calling you shortly with the solution to all your computer problems.
    Last edited by rottersclub; 02-25-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: humour
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Someone from Microsoft in India will be calling you shortly with the solution to all your computer problems.
    Have you had one of those scammers call you about a "problem" with your PC? Last one I got I so thoroughly ran through the wringer he probably ran out and got an honest job.

I have talked to them several times, even in danish.
    Now I usually yells them something about their mother.

I had such a call a year or two ago and at first, he had me going. Then my wizened brain kicked in and figured it out. We had another such call a couple of weeks ago and I just told him to fuck off.

What really irks me is that they not only can spoof the area code, but they actually use the first three digits of our local exchange. That's why I picked up the phone in the first place. I thought it was a neighbour.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

I usually ask those guys if their mother knows they're scamming for a living.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I recently received a message from an IRS scammer - they were threatening to have the police show up within the hour if something like $7,000 was not paid with MoneyPak cards !!! They were asking for me - but I had her going with a story that "Josef" was on a feral hog hunt in deep East Texas with his buddies, and would not be back for another week or so . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post

What really irks me is that they not only can spoof the area code, but they actually use the first three digits of our local exchange. That's why I picked up the phone in the first place. I thought it was a neighbour.

Someone spoofed our number recently and was repeatedly calling another guy in our town telling him he had some sort of credit card problems. The guy receiving the calls was apparently unfamiliar with the idea of spoofing and left us a nasty message and threatened to call the police. My wife called him up and tried to reason with him to no avail.

It kind of irked me since this guy's phone number only differs from ours by one digit, so we've gotten calls that were intended for him. The calls were for his business so I have called him when this happens to pass on the leads. How soon they forget...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I usually ask those guys if their mother knows they're scamming for a living.
    Judging from the ones I have talked to who have scammed my mother, they do not care.
    They are criminals hiding behind fake companies.
    It takes so long for the "authorities" to act on anything they just close one fake company and open another.
    Economic crimes only count when rich people ( or the mob....is there a real difference? ) get ripped off.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Wasn't too happy with the automatic update, nowhere to stop/postpone button, that took over an hour this morning, interrupting my work. Then it took ten minutes to start due to a long screenshot of "You've been updated", "Wait till you see what's new" type of scrolling jibberish afterwards.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

So for those who've had this installed for a while, what's your verdict?