Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Got a new computer for my mom a couple months ago which had 8.1. She hated it and was completely lost. For one thing, she didn't have a touch screen. So I installed Classic Shell...a bit easier for her. She was convinced Windows 10 would be better for her and was going to solve seemingly every problem but I had no experience of 10 and knew it wouldn't matter.

A couple weeks ago we bought an all-in-one PC for my wife and it came with 8.1. I decided to go for the update to Windows 10. Very strange process. First was the massive download, the terminology in the Windows Update screen was nonsensical (I forget the exact wording, but it wasn't clear if things were updating or downloading at times), apparently there were still 8.1 updates that had to take place before the update/upgrade to 10 took place...multiple restarts where it seemed like nothing had happened/changed...no prompts came up to continue the upgrade/update process, etc.

In the end it actually seems to work great. The printer we have wouldn't work with the iMac we had due to lack of drivers. I got the drivers to work in Windows 10 by using compatibility mode. Piece o' cake.

Decided to upgrade my mom's computer to Windows 10. The power went out twice during the process. No issues with additional updates to 8.1 and not nearly as many restarts required. Worked perfectly. Completely baffled. Mom's still confused, lol.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Why upgrade? I'm happy with what I've got.

I am beginning to suspect that there is some defect in my PC. I've noticed while playing music through it, no matter what the media player, it skips. Sometimes it skips a lot, sometimes it doesn't skip at all. I took my laptop and hooked it up to the office sound system just to see if the stereo I run my audio could be defective. So far, no errors. This pisses me off. I can't afford to replace the soundcard, let alone the PC. And I've gotten this thing fine tuned in a dozen different ways. Damn computers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I am beginning to suspect that there is some defect in my PC. I've noticed while playing music through it, no matter what the media player, it skips. Sometimes it skips a lot, sometimes it doesn't skip at all. I took my laptop and hooked it up to the office sound system just to see if the stereo I run my audio could be defective. So far, no errors. This pisses me off. I can't afford to replace the soundcard, let alone the PC. And I've gotten this thing fine tuned in a dozen different ways. Damn computers.
    Are you doing anything else on the machine at the same time? I find that it's pretty common for the sound to hiccup when loading a new web page if I'm browsing the web at the same time as listening to music.

RAM is relatively cheap, lots of RAM is bliss. Buy some more.
    8 GB is the mimimum to make a machine run smooth.
    If the drive where Windows is installed (usually C) have too little extra empty space, that will make it slow - eventually you can make it swap on another disc, but that slows it down a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Charles, that's exactly what I had to do, but I was fortunate enough to have backed all my music files up. I don't envy you for having to reload an enormous collection. That is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sir Ian, as time goes on, I realize I'm constantly uploading music. For instance I had only one David Bowie album that I had uploaded prior to his passing, I rectified that on Monday. Led Zeppelin yesterday. It's an ongoing process my man.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

All right, this isn’t computer-breaking, but it is annoying, and I’d like to fix it once and for all.

There’s this one update on Windows Update, for Windows 10 version 1511, that refuses to install no matter what I try. Apparently, part of the problem is that Microsoft actually pulled the update from their site as too many people complained about bugs as a result of the update. But my computer keeps trying to install the now-nonexistent update and failing every time I reboot. Is there a way to just make it go away for good? It’s been this way since November, and it’s obnoxious!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Anything helpful here? Maybe the part about disabling preview builds?

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-pr...-getting-stuck
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

What about my member? rottersclub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    All right, this isnt computer-breaking, but it is annoying, and Id like to fix it once and for all.

Theres this one update on Windows Update, for Windows 10 version 1511, that refuses to install no matter what I try. Apparently, part of the problem is that Microsoft actually pulled the update from their site as too many people complained about bugs as a result of the update. But my computer keeps trying to install the now-nonexistent update and failing every time I reboot. Is there a way to just make it go away for good? Its been this way since November, and its obnoxious!
    I'm still on Windows 7, so I don't know if Windows Update still works this way, but there is a way to hide updates within the Windows Update window itself. Right click on the annoying update and you can hide it. It will appear in italics then, but next time you go in, it will not appear.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after hes smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Windows 10 keeps making funny troubles.
    One of the PC's I work with has worked fine a couple of months, but now the start button cannot be touched, it doesnt display, and then prompt you to log off. No other option.
    Over and over... restarts or close downs doesnt make any difference.

Happiness is a warm gun.

I've been having audio issues. Windows Media Player and JRiver were both skipping while playing songs. And games were screwing up as well. I tried updating drivers, reinstalls, etc. Finally I said fuck it and ran a complete reset of Windows 10. Then I looked up how to speed up RAM for Windows 10 and implemented those steps. Reloaded all my files and things are running smooth now. Something was either over-taxing the RAM or just corrupted. Basically, if it involves tire or tech, it's gonna give you trouble.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    I'm still on Windows 7, so I don't know if Windows Update still works this way, but there is a way to hide updates within the Windows Update window itself. Right click on the annoying update and you can hide it. It will appear in italics then, but next time you go in, it will not appear.
    One of the “improvements” they made was that you no longer have any control over what updates you select. Windows does that all for you. I’m not happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

What about my member? rottersclub's Avatar
    Man, the more I read about it, the less enthused I am to upgrade to Win10 when my 12 months free upgrade period is up. If I hadn't just bought a new desktop and notebook in the last year, I would seriously have to consider the alternatives.

I've been using my wife's Google Android tablet lately and that O/S sure has come a long way since I suffered with a much earlier version on my Galaxy 2 "smart" phone. (You needed three hands to initiate an O/S upgrade on that damn phone, I kid you not!)
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after hes smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

There was a similar endless reboot loop with XP a while back too.
    It's always a good night when the "heat" shows up ~Pepe

I've enjoyed the upgrade until recently, especially since I use a Windows phone. But the last several updates on my laptop have resulted in a Critical Error message after signing in. It goes to the desktop, shows the error message, and I have to log out and restart. If I shut down, it won't complete the update process and goes to the critical error again, but a restart kicks it into gear.

And every now and then, certain parts of my taskbar would not respond after startup unless I right clicked and opened them using the context menu.
    The Start button, search window, volume, notification center, etc. were affected, but not program and folder icons like Firefox, file explorer, media player, email. A restart would usually set it right, but after the last update I got, the malfunction is consistent and will not fix with a restart.

I've tried about 6 different fixes suggested: removing avast! and reinstalling, adding code in Powershell, other adminny poking-around suggestions, and nothing fixed it. Definite downsides with 10 and they're increasing in level of annoyance and difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Kind of looks Welsh a little.

I've been having audio issues. Windows Media Player and JRiver were both skipping while playing songs. And games were screwing up as well. I tried updating drivers, reinstalls, etc. Finally I said fuck it and ran a complete reset of Windows 10. Then I looked up how to speed up RAM for Windows 10 and implemented those steps. Reloaded all my files and things are running smooth now. Something was either over-taxing the RAM or just corrupted. Basically, if it involves tire or tech, it's gonna give you trouble.
    Update. The audio issues are still there. I checked the task manager and the CPU spikes like a heart attack when those audio drop-outs occur. And this is with one open browser (Chrome) with a couple of very undemanding tabs open and nothing else running. MOTHERFUCKER! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this computer now but this is extremely irritating. I could work off my laptop but my nearly-sixty-year-old hands wear out on that keyboard.

Update. The audio issues are still there. I checked the task manager and the CPU spikes like a heart attack when those audio drop-outs occur. And this is with one open browser (Chrome) with a couple of very undemanding tabs open and nothing else running. MOTHERFUCKER! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this computer now but this is extremely irritating. I could work off my laptop but my nearly-sixty-year-old hands wear out on that keyboard.
    What audio card do you have?

Not sure what it is, whatever came with a Dell Inspiron a few years ago. I did open up the PC and make sure it was clean and seated properly.

You might need to pinpoint exactly what audio card is in that computer - and download/install the W10 driver specifically for it. Dell should have an online diagnostic tool that will analyze your machine (remotely) and offer up a list of updates depending on your W10 installation.

Whats funny is - if you install a linux clone, ubuntu, knoppix etc. it can tell you exactly what cards you have...
    In older days I tried this with win XP and needed to know my graphic card (to get the right driver). Windows - no help.
    Knoppix just run from CDR could tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    You might need to pinpoint exactly what audio card is in that computer - and download/install the W10 driver specifically for it. Dell should have an online diagnostic tool that will analyze your machine (remotely) and offer up a list of updates depending on your W10 installation.
    Actually I did that a couple weeks ago. The issue persisted. I'm convinced that something in W10 is spiking usage up to the point where everything else just stutters. What I need is a new PC but that ain't gonna happen for at least a year.

So here goes the sweaty palm thing.
    I checked windows update on my upgraded ( from 8.1 ) 10 desktop.
    It downloaded a new windows 10 version and has been installing for 1/2 hour now and is at 53% after 2 or three reboots.
    I have a feeling I am going to have to go through all of the privacy settings again. It's just that I don't trust them.
    I made the decision to cave and install 10 on one of our systems ( the current count is 7 windows systems and a couple of linux ).
    It just so happens to be the one I use to process video and audio.
    Well it is "done", there was a kind of ominous message "We have updated You Computer" then "All Your Files Are Just Where You Left Them" on the screen before I got my desktop back.
    Time to check things out.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read - Unknown

It's been a few years, but I vaguely recall similar issues with XP even with audio interfaces other than Soundblaster type cards. I would suspect another app as the culprit.