Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

After using this thread as a guide, I'm so glad I didn't get rid of 7 for 10.

Downloaded Windows 10 onto my laptop to replace the frankly godawful Windows 8.1 on the first day it was possible to do it. After a couple of teething problems and attending to the well-publicized privacy issues that it was scandalous that Microsoft thought they could get away with I have to say that I'm very happy so far - much better than the last two MS efforts, anyway.

I don't have much problems with Windows 8.1, exept for the need of a system recovery now and again. My fear of troubles with drivers and programs still is bigger.

Keep in mind, Microsoft isn't the only one to bungle new releases. I contacted a friend that works for Apple because iTunes won't update my iPhone. Turns out the new iOS for Apple is incompatible with the current iTunes update.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I don't have much problems with Windows 8.1, exept for the need of a system recovery now and again. My fear of troubles with drivers and programs still is bigger.
    I have upgraded more than 10 PC's now (different makes, laptops, desktops), it was pretty straight forward and all are running well. One took long time (6 hours), but I believe it was because it had only 3 GB RAM, another took only 1½ hours. I think MS have solved a lot of the issues I experienced a month ago. Its free until next summer.

But remember to install:
    Free antispy tool for Windows 10 - O&O ShutUp10

for those who upgraded from 8.1..
    recently had a minor glitch with my internet connection. it still works 99% of the time but the other day, it affected my search box. the box came up but it wouldn't accept my typing when i tried looking for the Troubleshooting folder to fix the internet issue. i eventually fixed it by trying something then restarting a couple of times but i had forgotten all about a nice alternative that was already set up on my machine..

God

this sets up a folder that contains links to all the important folders/applications on your system. on a hunch i opened it up and scrolled down to T and sure enough, there was the Troubleshooting section with all its links. just a neat thing to have in case your search box goes goofy on you. or anything else for that matter.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I've been getting the pop-up message. I've got Win 7 and has been no problem at all that I remember, so I'm hesitant to switch. Does anyone know when is the last day to switch for free if indeed there is one?

Supposedly free until the end of July 2016 but Microsoft can change that anytime they see fit.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^
    AND - the support of windows 7 will end much sooner than the support of w10.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    They took away the ability for Windows Media Player to deal with DVDs, for that you have to use the stupid Metro-style app or go 3rd party.

I have never used windows mediaplayer, winamp on my old pc and VLC on the rest.
    Works fine. Its just habits...

"Upgraded" to 10, had problems with sound that I could not fix in an hour, so I switched back to 7.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

^^^
    Not that I particularily want to defend w 10, but I have met this and similar problems on several pc's, and w10 seems to have a self-solving ability, usually in 24 hours or after a few restarts. It seems like it checks the drivers and install them when its discovered.
    So I would say that 1 hours patience isn't much

w7 is fine but at some time, microsoft will not make updates, and w10 is still free.

Does anyone know in Windows 10 how to turn off that opening splash screen which you have to click on to get to the login screen? If you can't turn it off, how can you set the timing of when it comes on? I find it is way too short, if I am reading something or just step away for a minute, this screen is up and I have to log the stupid machine in again. I have adjusted the screen saver setting, but that doesn't' seem to do it, and I can't find any other reference to this screen.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Bill

Supposedly free until the end of July 2016

Well, I guess I'll hold out until I just have to switch or close to it.

How about impressions of those who bought a machine with Windows 10 on it? I am planning to buy a computer soon with Windows 10.
    Still on XP.

I just had the sound fail. I tried rebooting but that did nothing. I did a system restore back one day and audio returned. I suspect my audio driver freaked out again at the last update.

Does anyone know in Windows 10 how to turn off that opening splash screen which you have to click on to get to the login screen? If you can't turn it off, how can you set the timing of when it comes on? I find it is way too short, if I am reading something or just step away for a minute, this screen is up and I have to log the stupid machine in again. I have adjusted the screen saver setting, but that doesn't' seem to do it, and I can't find any other reference to this screen.
    My laptop always requires me to sign back in so now I just keep Windows Media Player running with the volume muted. Keeps the screen up for as long as the music plays.

Anybody here had problems upgrading a w8 to a w8.1 ?

I have an Asus laptop that just wont. error code 0x80004005 - makes no sense.

The goal is to get it upgraded to w10, but apparently one cant skip the 8.1 stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My laptop always requires me to sign back in so now I just keep Windows Media Player running with the volume muted. Keeps the screen up for as long as the music plays.
    That's an interesting workaround.

I'm at my in-law's house, and they have the Windows 10 for Dummies book, so I looked this up. The screen I'm talking about is called the "Lock Screen." They show how and where to personalize it, but the timeout setting don't appear to be working for this screen. It times out for me really quickly, not even 5 minutes, unless I'm consistently using the mouse. I know I have the settings set form more than 5 minutes. I may try to turn off the login and see if that does it.

Bill

I wrote this on Walt's fab page ( I think?), I have a Lenovo Touchscreen G500 that was purchased with Windows 8 installed, a few days later Microsoft released Windows 8.1 and that was the worst crap since Vista. I was having all types of issues with my laptop and the conversion to Windows 10 was extremely poor, so poor I cursed Microsoft, Lenovo and Staples. My iTunes wasn't working correctly not downloading songs, removing songs everytime I synced the iPhone, I was so upset the machine was on the verge of tossing my laptop out the window, but then I came up with doing a total factory restore, I didn't back nothing up so I had to do everything from scratch yet the problem AND Windows 10 has been absolutely great. Everything about Windows 10 has worked well and now I'm happy, I wouldn't recommend doing what I did but it seemed to correct every issue I was having with the computer.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Charles, that's exactly what I had to do, but I was fortunate enough to have backed all my music files up. I don't envy you for having to reload an enormous collection. That is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Apple and Microsoft can go screw each other! I'm not upgrading Windows or iOS...

I bought a Dell XPS 8900 on Black Friday. Very happy with it thus far. Windows 10 seems fine.

The Asus Laptop I tried to get from w8 to w10 is still on w8. All my attempts failed.
    I have had contact with both Asus and Microsoft by telephone, and I have done everything they suggested, but no.
    The laptop has no CD/DVD-drive, so everything is done wireless.
    My last idea would be to get a portable drive, burn a DVD with Windows 10, format and erase everything on the laptop including w8, and start installing w10 from scratch.

My last idea would be to get a portable drive, burn a DVD with Windows 10, format and erase everything on the laptop including w8, and start installing w10 from scratch.
    Well, it's drastic but that would do the trick.

I've got a strange issue. Windows Media Player is starting to skip or start/stop during tracks. That very very annoying. It's never had this problem before. I hate to uninstall and reinstall because there's just a shitload of ROIOs that have inconsistent tags and will have to be sorted again. Aaaaargh!