Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Quicken is different than Quickbooks...though they do still offer a Mac desktop version of Quickbooks. Maybe they've gotten their act together in the past 10 years
    I have QuickBooks 2010 running on a 2009 Mac Pro running Snow Leopard and it works fine. I know the same version is compatible with Mavericks.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can install that right over Windows 3.0?

Just think how fast Win 3.1 would run on a modern machine

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I have QuickBooks 2010 running on a 2009 Mac Pro running Snow Leopard and it works fine. I know the same version is compatible with Mavericks.
    Good to hear that. In my experience, other than a small community running Peachtree, Quickbooks is the standard for small biz bookkeeping and should be available on as many platforms as possible...I love it - except of course the way they keep pushing an unnecessary new version every year
    Last edited by WytchCrypt; 08-20-2015 at 12:11 AM.
    Check out my one-man prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown

Check out Mutiny in Jonestown's latest album, "The Daemons Mock Me While I Sleep" at: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.c...-while-i-sleep

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Just think how fast Win 3.1 would run on a modern machine
    You'd probably have to type C:> win in a DOS box of a more modern Windows.

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Free antispy tool for Windows 10
    O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be deactivated.

Decide for yourself how important your “comfort” is when weighed up with your privacy and how to protect it. O&O ShutUp10 presents you with all important settings in one location – you need no previous IT knowledge and there is no need to manually change the Windows 10 system settings.

O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately on your PC. And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many other programs do these days!

anyone else having issues with Windows 10 and Facebook?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I have experienced other issues.
    After a couple of days 2 of the PC': The startbutton and searchfunction doesnt work - so you cant access any programs or apps.
    If I create a new user, it works for the new user, but still not for the old.

I am not going to 'upgrade' more PC's the next couple of months.

I am not alone:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...iew2014General

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Happy for the most part. My usb mouse doesn't work anymore, but the touchpad works fine. Having some intermittent audio issues, which could be a BIG problem, as you could imagine. Getting a little static when on the net, which I have never experienced before.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Happy so far. No issues; start/search work fine. In fact, I love the voice activated search, "Ask Me Anything". The only slight issue was that I needed to re-install iTunes even though the new music system, Groove, had transferred all the music from iTunes into itself. I expected bugs with this new system, as with any new system. The free cost should let everyone know there might/will be problems. When all reported issues are resolved, they will have new upgraders pay. I like the "Edge" browser so far too. Still keeping IE & Chrome just in case.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Naturally there would be driver issues, most likely temporarily, but you might get bigger problems if your printer, scanner, etc. is so old that the producer doesnt want to make a driver for w10.

But issues like the malfunction of the Startbutton is dissappointing. Hopfully they wil address it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Happy so far. No issues; start/search work fine. In fact, I love the voice activated search, "Ask Me Anything". The only slight issue was that I needed to re-install iTunes even though the new music system, Groove, had transferred all the music from iTunes into itself. I expected bugs with this new system, as with any new system. The free cost should let everyone know there might/will be problems. When all reported issues are resolved, they will have new upgraders pay. I like the "Edge" browser so far too. Still keeping IE & Chrome just in case.
    F W10
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Suspended
    After reading that leaked email from Eugene Kaspersky, CEO of Kaspersky Lab who market antivirus software, I'm beginning to think that many of those antivirus companies are more concerned with fucking up the antivirus programs of their competitors in an attempt to destroy the competition than with protecting the humble computer user from virus attacks.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/28/ru...l-email-shows/

The guy is an arsehole.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I have experienced other issues.
    After a couple of days 2 of the PC': The startbutton and searchfunction doesnt work - so you cant access any programs or apps.
    If I create a new user, it works for the new user, but still not for the old.

I am not going to 'upgrade' more PC's the next couple of months.

I am not alone:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...iew2014General
    if you have an anti-virus like Avast or McAfee, chances are that's what causing it. i saw this same problem but after reading an article on the web spelling out the possible causes then uninstalling Avast, the problem was fixed. in addition Windows Defender kicked in by itself though it took a while. but now the problem is fixed and i'm still protected with Defender. i also have Malwarebytes just in case something sneaks through.
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 08-30-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Thanks for the hint - there are Norton full package on those 2 PC's.
    On the other hand MS have to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post

as far as regular functions, I don't have much issues. it occurs on internet primarily.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Happy for the most part. My usb mouse doesn't work anymore, but the touchpad works fine.
    Try going to Device Manager and seeing if all the USB Hub icons are on; if not, restart them. That worked for me.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Naturally there would be driver issues, most likely temporarily, but you might get bigger problems if your printer, scanner, etc. is so old that the producer doesnt want to make a driver for w10.

But issues like the malfunction of the Startbutton is dissappointing. Hopfully they wil address it soon.
    MS have apparently fixed this today. But they are also sending out patches and updates every day !
    My advice to everybody is to wait a month or two before you upgrade. If you allready have, check the windows update function and see if you are missing something.

I dont think your issues with antivrus kits has anything to do with it.

MS have apparently fixed this today. But they are also sending out patches and updates every day !
    My advice to everybody is to wait a month or two before you upgrade. If you allready have, check the windows update function and see if you are missing something.

I dont think your issues with antivrus kits has anything to do with it.
    since you replied to yourself, not sure who you're talking to but if it's me, i didn't make it up. removing Avast completely fixed the search and start popups not appearing problem. it's been a couple weeks now and the problem hasn't recurred (used to happen at least once a day). here's one of the articles i read that mentions BitDefender and Avast as possible culprits..

avast

Unevensong - Camel

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    since you replied to yourself, not sure who you're talking to but if it's me, i didn't make it up. removing Avast completely fixed the search and start popups not appearing problem. it's been a couple weeks now and the problem hasn't recurred (used to happen at least once a day). here's one of the articles i read that mentions BitDefender and Avast as possible culprits..

avast
    Myself It was about the startbutton issue.

Another thing / trick: My laptop couldnt access Windows Update, I got red flag and a meaningless code + a message that I could run the repair tool etc. No help on MS pages.
    After some hours wasted, I tried to change the windows update settings so that it should not look for updates regarding other windows products (like the office package etc. - its a checkbox), only Windows itself .
    That worked. Apparently Windows update these days is strung up and cant handle 2 types of updates at the same time.

not sure if this specific to Windows 10 but i just installed the new version of iTunes (12.3) and now it doesn't recognize either of my iPods when i plug them in. just when i thought i got rid of the minor problems i had with audio and internet connection this happens. since i know there are a lot iTunes users here, was wondering if anybody has seen this device not recognized problem? everything was working fine yesterday before i upgraded but now it's hosed with the new version.

Unevensong - Camel

Sometimes you need to go to the iPod and get it to recognize the computer all over again. It seems every other time that every time they update iTunes or the iOS this kind of shit happens.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What about my member? rottersclub's Avatar
    Tried it on my laptop. Had big time problems with my mouse freezing. Runaway process from Intel (can't remember what service it was). Deinstalled it. It only took about 10 - 15 minutes. Will try again in May.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Get this Windows 10 bullshit off my laptop. Here's how to do it.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/298...-or-81-pc.html