Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

I upgraded my Netbook to 10 yesterday. In addition to the 10 upgrade, I got a notice of an AMD video driver update that initially bombed. So I had some problems with the display and some serious slowness, had to restart, then re-attempted the driver update.
    The update worked on the second attempt, and after one more re-start, things started working fairly well.

I spent a bit of time customizing my start area and my task bar so I can get to the things I need. I don't do a whole lot on the Netbook, so this was a good one to upgrade first. I'm continuing to run Firefox and Apache Open Office. Those both seem to work fine, although I tried to play a video in Firefox last night, and it didn't work. But that may have been the website. I have not experimented with Edge, but I'll try it out at some point.

I was upgrading from Windows 7, and 10 seems more like 7 to me than 8, which is good. If it works OK after a few days on the Netbook, then I'll attempt to upgrade my desktop, which is also Windows 7.

Bill

Being that it worked so well on my laptop I decided to go ahead and do the upgrade on my desktop yesterday. Big mistake. Everything installed fine, I was humming along and then the audio dropped out. I uploaded new drivers, etc, all the tricks. No audio. Finally I restored Windows 7 and the audio came back. Checked on my laptop with Windows 10, audio was flawless. So.What.The.Fuck?

Update: I tried an upgrade a few hours later and it worked fine. Audio is kicking ass, got some live Tull playing right now. Windows Media Player got stuck a few times not recognizing some ROIOs while showing others. That's all under control again. iTunes was the real fuckup. Damn thing wouldn't recognize my phone or iPad. I had to reinstall the goddamn piece of shit before it would behave.

I haven't played with all the features yet but I'm liking it so far. Like Sputnik said, it's a lot more like Windows 7 than 8.1 and that's a good thing. Start menu needed some fine-tuning but I got the hang of that. I did put the kibosh on all those privacy settings. as others have done.
    Last edited by Jerjo; 08-04-2015 at 11:01 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Another thing - there is a lot you need to 'tweak' when installing

"Windows 10 is spying on you, but there’s a way out"

https://www.hackread.com/windows-10-is-spying-on-you/

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I know with 10, it does not take my computer 5 minutes to load facebook (fucking geeksquad)
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    windows10workingonit.jpg
    How long do I have to stare at this before I conclude that I'm effed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    windows10workingonit.jpg
    How long do I have to stare at this before I conclude that I'm effed?
    On my old desktop, that stage took around an hour or a little more.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

After seeing someone suggest that AVG prevented their update, I blew away McAfee and it started up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I don't think I'm going to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. To afraid to get driver-troubles.
    Same here. I've worked so hard to setup my system to balance various midi programs and my entire music collection on an extensive customized Mp3Tag/MusicBee environment (rather than windows media player) that it's just not worth the risk. I was instantly suspicious when the "Get Windows 10" icon started popping up on my toolbar and I realized they were giving it away
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Well, McAfee is problematic in any case. Warning, not safe for most work environments

I have now upgraded 3 pc's and the process was quite different.
    The one from w7 was the easiest, took 2 hours, one of the others w8.1 took for ever, and sort of froze. I left it there to the next day.
    I restarted the thing manually 2 times, and somehow it knew what to do. It works.

speaking of McAfee, this thing was a pig on 8.1 so i uninstalled it before downloading/installing the 10 upgrade. i then installed Avast Basic Free which i like a lot better.
    potential problem though. haven't heard anybody complain about this yet but every now and then i see 1 of 2 problems - either the Search box comes up but doesn't respond to entering text or neither the Start or the Search boxes even pop up to begin with (or any other popup off the taskbar for that matter). doing some research i found that this could be due to the anti-virus you have installed. the article mentioned BitDefender as the main culprit but also implied that Avast could be causing it too. the solution was to uninstall it and use Windows Defender instead at least until Avast and BD have a chance to fix the conflicts. just a heads up.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Edge seems to be really fast.

(As did Chrome, when it first came out)

I know there are audio issues with W10. Also Steinberg warned that Cubase and Nuendo don't work yet but Wavelab does. I wasn't really planning on updating the DAW from W7 yet anyway until I have to.
    I was going to do my main PC because of problems old Office installs have caused, but a new upgrade to 2013 seems to have fixed that. Guess I got a temporary reprieve.
    W7 has been pretty good for me. Best past Win in my opinion. Hope W10 can stand up. At least until they figure out a kick ass Linux desktop.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

HP hasnt made drivers to w10 for the HP printer we are using, so we cant print.
    The last 4 PC's are not going to be 'upgraded' yet.

My HP printer wasn't supported when up went from XP windows 7, but I was able to convince the OS that it was a different HP printer and it works OK.
    When I upgraded to 10, it still worked.

Apparently Microsoft has removed the ability to play DVDs from Media Player and Media Center on Windows 10. If you want to play DVDs you have to buy their $15 DVD player.
    You can download VLC Player for free, but it's a little clunky.

http://www.howtogeek.com/133405/how-...-on-windows-8/

Was written for Windows 8, but works for Windows 10. I find it easier on the eyes now.

(Now if there was some way to replace the omnipresent snarky "Working on it" with "Please wait"...)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm still using Windows XP. I'm just waiting for the time to buy another puter, then I'll upgrade with the rest of yous.
    Me as well. I'll probably do it by the end of the year or so. I really like 7 (my teacher computer at work, students will be getting Chromebooks. We'll see how that turns out.) but feel I need to get 10 for security reasons. XP machine at home still works.
    Last edited by rapidfirerob; 08-15-2015 at 08:06 PM.

For daily use, I find XP convenient and easy. Good userinterface (or I am just used to it) But if you need to fix problems etc. it sucks a bit.
    7 is faster and more reliable, but lots of people (I teach) tend to use the search function, instead of actually knowing where their documens and photos are, and soon they have copies all over the PC, and cant find the version they need.
    8.1. is faster but the userinterface sucks big time. w10 has fixed this somewhat. I hope I get used to it.

I use the free linux distribution Ubuntu as well. It is very good, fast, free, and doesnt get hacked, spyware or virus nearly as easy as windows. This is a recommandation, especially if your main needs are just wirting documents, surfing the net etc., fixing your photos etc.

lots of people (I teach) tend to use the search function, instead of actually knowing where their documens and photos are, and soon they have copies all over the PC, and cant find the version they need.
    I've heard of people doing this and it just floors me whenever I see it. Makes me think of this:

may be too soon to tell for sure but it looks like uninstalling Avast has fixed the start/search popup problem i mentioned before. i now have Defender which almost didn't kick in. as with McAfee, i thought that Avast left stuff behind that prevented WD from starting because it initially didn't. but Windows 10 must have eventually realized there was no conflict with the anti-virus and activated WD. now i'm all set with anti-virus and the start/search problem has been fixed. yay..
    the only thing i don't like about WD is having to go into Task Scheduler to schedule my scans instead of being able to do it from the UI. scheduling works but i'd rather have everything done in the UI like the old versions did.

Unevensong - Camel

I had avast before on some and norton on others, and the w10 install didnt remove any of them.

Funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I had avast before on some and norton on others, and the w10 install didnt remove any of them.

Funny...
    didn't with me either (got carried over from 8.1). i had to manually uninstall Avast after reading about how that could fix the start/search problem.

Unevensong - Camel

I've read in several different places that things like Avast and Norton are resource hogs, anyway. I've been using Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials for years and have had no problems. Both are free, though Malwarebytes has premium features at an additional cost.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've read in several different places that things like Avast and Norton are resource hogs, anyway. I've been using Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials for years and have had no problems. Both are free, though Malwarebytes has premium features at an additional cost.
    I've been running Avast and Malwarebyets on both my desktop and Netbook. On the Netbook that I went to Windows 10 on, it has really been slow. I'm going to try Microsoft Security Essentials and get rid of Avast, which really does seem to be a bit of a memory hog. Thanks for the tip!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I've been running Avast and Malwarebyets on both my desktop and Netbook. On the Netbook that I went to Windows 10 on, it has really been slow. I'm going to try Microsoft Security Essentials and get rid of Avast, which really does seem to be a bit of a memory hog. Thanks for the tip!

Bill
    you won't be able to find or install MSE on Win 10 - Windows Defender replaced it as of 8.1 i believe and is built into Win 10. basically the same thing though.

Unevensong - Camel