Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Motorpsycho

Re: Motorpsycho's eras, I'd divide the latest era into two: the Kapstad era (Little Lucid Moments - Here be Monsters) and the Järmyr era (The Tower - today). The band sounds significantly different, and so do the albums.
    They were proggier and wilder when Kapstad was in the band, whereas the current era is doomier and more rooted in traditional metal and late 60's heavy psych.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    They were proggier and wilder when Kapstad was in the band,
    And this was their most interesting period to my ears. I ended giving away everything else they did before of after that era, with the exception of Phanerothyme and It's A Love Cult.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

One of my fav tunes by Motorheadpyscho is "Into the Gyre"....that's the tune that made me a believer (plus Matt's enthusiasm). I still haven't heard a boatload of stuff but really loved everything I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The recent collection The Light Fantastic is now on Bandcamp:
    https://motorpsycho.bandcamp.com/releases
    Is this a compilation from their entire discography?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Re: Motorpsycho's eras, I'd divide the latest era into two: the Kapstad era (Little Lucid Moments - Here be Monsters) and the Järmyr era (The Tower - today). The band sounds significantly different, and so do the albums.
    They were proggier and wilder when Kapstad was in the band, whereas the current era is doomier and more rooted in traditional metal and late 60's heavy psych.
    I suppose any individual example can be cited as proof or counter-proof here, but a song like "Ship of Fools" from The Tower is every bit as ambitious and proggy as anything the band did previously. That closing section (the guitars carry the main theme, the mellotron/keys play a separate theme) is particularly jaw-dropping. Plus that opening riff is just glorious.

In live settings, this is particularly evident:

EDIT: Y'argh. I can embed that viddy, right?

https://vimeo.com/338963719

Nope. Guess I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    One of my fav tunes by Motorheadpyscho is "Into the Gyre"....that's the tune that made me a believer (plus Matt's enthusiasm). I still haven't heard a boatload of stuff but really loved everything I have heard.
    Happy to spread the word, Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is this a compilation from their entire discography?
    It's a collection of B-sides and odds and sods from the past decade or so. Not essential, so if there are other holes in your collection, I'd fill those first. (Or if you happened to buy the t-shirt with the album art on it, you should probably buy the album, too. Just saying . . . )

Here are the sources (according to Prog Archives):

1, 6: Previously unreleased from The Crucible sessions in 2018
    2, 5: Previously released on The California EP (2017)
    3: Previously released on Hyena / Bonny Lee (2006)
    4, 8: Previously released on Motorpnakotic Fragments (2014)
    7: Previously released on Spin, Spin, Spin (2016)
    9: Previously released on The Visitant (2010)
    10: Previously released on X-3 (Knuckleheads in Space) (2010)

Pretty sure they played a few of the tunes on a recent tour.
    Last edited by polmico; 01-13-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Here Be Monsters.
    If I had to name one, this one would probably my favorite Motorpsycho album. It needs to get mentioned more often in this thread. :-)
    One thing is for sure, the sheep is not a creature of the air.
    https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/

Motorpsycho are such a great band! Probably my favorite these days. I tend to go through band discographies at a frozen snail's pace, so I've only listened through It's a Love Cult, plus their three most recent albums, and I've enjoyed everything I've heard so far aside from maybe their first two. Unfortunately they're quite the expensive band to love if you live in the US, what with all the special editions and collector's items they have. Those shipping fees are pretty rough. I'd kill to see them live one day, apparently their live shows are fantastic.

^I have told my wife that we will take a trip to Europe if we can see Motorpsycho, too. Definitely a band I need to see live.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Dang, that was fast!

^ Like Guided By Voices and a handful others from that generation, the 'psychos have consistently released at least one full album a-year since the beginning. It's hard - sometimes very hard - to keep up with that listening pattern once you've reached 50 and generally only get to spin records a couple of times each week.

Kudos still. They lost their hearts to rock'n'roll and demo troll and hop'n'knoll and blowupdoll.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Always ready! The album art is interesting and evocative. Really curious what this album will sound like now that the Gullvåg trilogy is done.

^ Like Guided By Voices and a handful others from that generation, the 'psychos have consistently released at least one full album a-year since the beginning. It's hard - sometimes very hard - to keep up with that listening pattern once you've reached 50 and generally only get to spin records a couple of times each week.

Kudos still. They lost their hearts to rock'n'roll and demo troll and hop'n'knoll and blowupdoll.
    Somehow I thought they'd take a break after the Gullvaag trilogy.

Cool to see Guided By Voices named here! They're one of my fave bands (and I got every cd by them...32! and almost all the solo albums and the side projects of Robert Pollard... and he's 64!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listening to The Crucible now - Wow, it's a good one! I ended up buying The All Is Nothing on CD - I like that a lot. Guess I'm working my way backwards...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Listening to The Crucible now - Wow, it's a good one! I ended up buying The All Is Nothing on CD - I like that a lot. Guess I'm working my way backwards...
    "The Crucible" is a great one for sure.

And Guided By Voices has a new one, Earth Man Blues, coming out April 30th. (They always have a new one on the way!!!)

Such a great band that everyone on here should listen to...
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    And Guided By Voices has a new one, Earth Man Blues, coming out April 30th. (They always have a new one on the way!!!)

Recommend us an album to start with!

Wait, this is a double album to boot. The Motorpsycho furnace is too efficient.

Always happy to give them a spin and pick up a new album. But if you press my toes to the fire, I couldn’t tell you which album is which.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Recommend us an album to start with!
    From the distant, lo-fi past: Bee Thousand (so named because if you hold your tongue between your thumb and forefinger and say "Pete Townsend" it sounds like "bee thousand.")

From the slick, major label days: Do The Collapse (produced by Ric Ocasek and hated by GbV fans. It's awesome!!!)

From the current line-up: Space Gun (this album employs all four of Robert Pollard's 4P's: Punk, Prog, Pop and Psych. Gorgeous LP.)

Ask ten GbV fans what their favorite album is and you'll get ten different answers. Kinda like Motorpsycho and The Death Defying Unicorn is their Bee Thousand.

Also highly recommended: Alien Lanes, Under The Bushes Under The Stars, Isolation Drills, Earthquake Glue, The Bears For Lunch, Mirrored Aztec and Styles We Paid For.
    Prog's Not Dead

"King Flute" on Space Gun is worth the price of admission by itself. It taught me all about the future of flutes, and I struggle to imagine any song imparting a more valuable lesson.

Preorder is up on Rune Grammofon:

https://runegrammofon.com/products/m...FJswEzgvcNWbOQ

Hopefully some American retailers carry this.

From the distant, lo-fi past: Bee Thousand (so named because if you hold your tongue between your thumb and forefinger and say "Pete Townsend" it sounds like "bee thousand.")

From the slick, major label days: Do The Collapse (produced by Ric Ocasek and hated by GbV fans. It's awesome!!!)

From the current line-up: Space Gun (this album employs all four of Robert Pollard's 4P's: Punk, Prog, Pop and Psych. Gorgeous LP.)

Ask ten GbV fans what their favorite album is and you'll get ten different answers. Kinda like Motorpsycho and The Death Defying Unicorn is their Bee Thousand.

Also highly recommended: Alien Lanes, Under The Bushes Under The Stars, Isolation Drills, Earthquake Glue, The Bears For Lunch, Mirrored Aztec and Styles We Paid For.
    Cool to find another Robert Pollard fan! I got EVERY GBV album on cd, Psycho and the birds, Boston Spaceships, Circus Devils, Ricked Wicky, many solo albums too, a tee shirt and a book I also recommend Isolation Drills, Universal Truth and Cycles, Under the bushes, under the stars. Mag earwhig has some classics too!

I just listened to Space Gun - it's great. I just recommended it to my son, who likes a lot of indie rock. When the album ended, Spotify played a song by Heatmiser, a band my son has mentioned a couple of times, then it played Pavement covering Echo and the Bunnymen's Killing Moon. I know my son likes Pavement, and he also likes Killing Moon. So I'm pretty sure he'll like GbV!

I think next I'll try "Do The Collapse." Thanks for the recommendations!