Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorpsycho

My copy arrived yesterday from Chez Wayside. Damned nice packaging.

I've only just started to listen...so far so good though.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    Probably on purpose due to the cost of the package to Wayside. $7 didn't stop me from buying it.
    Did anyone mention there are some music camples HERE ?
    Oh yeah. Not a big deal in any case and certainly not a deal breaker. I did forget to order, though. So that's just been fixed.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

My.

I'm not sure what I expected with this release, and I'm only diving in for the first time tonight, but this is something major.

A CD only release would've been nice, but I don't mind supporting the band and receiving some extra packaging (regardless of how I often I actually use the vinyl or DVD).

Prog Magazine gave the album a glowing review, though I've not read too many reviews there that have not glowed.

If my kids will let me, I want to sit between some large woofers and tweeters and let the vinyl do its work. The pipe organ and bass pedals should provide entertainment for the neighbors. The choir arrangements could be used to announce the second coming. A really astounding release.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Great meeting of rock heaviness with monumental church organ and celestial choir singing.

It is like the Atom Heart Mother taken to an entirely new dimension. It is a new flash of Lux Aeterna echoing the earlier flares from György Ligeti, Clint Mansell and Terje Rypdal.

A stunning release.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-18-2015 at 04:45 PM.

With a sort of Magma chanting vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    A CD only release would've been nice, but I don't mind supporting the band and receiving some extra packaging (regardless of how I often I actually use the vinyl or DVD).
    Yeah, Rune Grammofon have adopted an annoying policy that attempts to convert their customers to vinyl.

I had a brief discussion with them when Elephant9's BBC session got a vinyl-only release. When inquired about a CD release they stubbornly insisted that it was about time I had bought a turntable, which I politely declined. Now they got smarter and started to release LP/CD combos.

Well, I am going to wait for this exceptional release to sell out and then resell my LP/DVD copy without CD. I have already scanned the LP artwork and prepared a simple booklet for the silver disc (the original packaging is worthless).

I would not have bothered with all this if it had been any lesser album, but I do hope one day Rune Grammofon stop being overzealous and deliver music fans what they actually ask for!
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-18-2015 at 03:01 PM.

So I've been watching the DVD for Folk Flest quite a bit recently since getting a PS4 for the living room, and I've come away with some general impressions.

--I stand by my earlier statement: This is a major work and probably my favorite album this year (strong contention from FNM and Wilson and a few others, but this is wonderful).

--The band sounds better than ever. I love it when they just lock into a groove ("Kebabels tårn" is a good example) and just beat that sucker into the ground.

--The strings are either poorly recorded or mixed low? I dunno. I didn't realize how much they played, but I can't hear most of it.

--Storløkken's jacket is awesome.

--I'm not sure Storløkken could see the band around the organ. It looks like he keeps peering over his music sheet to get a glimpse.

--The setting for the concert is fabulous.

--The platinum blonde singer on the far left is stunning.

--The bass line on "Kebabels tårn" is amazing. I'm pretty sure everyone on this site would love it if they heard it.

I still need to sit down with it and read the liner notes, but I'm so very glad I picked this up (I was somewhat on the fence, balking at $50 for one concert). I hope everyone else here is enjoying it as much as I am!

I have listened to Here Be Monsters three times in a row now. Really fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    So I've been watching the DVD for Folk Flest quite a bit recently since getting a PS4 for the living room, and I've come away with some general impressions.

--I stand by my earlier statement: This is a major work and probably my favorite album this year (strong contention from FNM and Wilson and a few others, but this is wonderful).

--The band sounds better than ever. I love it when they just lock into a groove ("Kebabels tårn" is a good example) and just beat that sucker into the ground.

--The strings are either poorly recorded or mixed low? I dunno. I didn't realize how much they played, but I can't hear most of it.

--Storløkken's jacket is awesome.

--I'm not sure Storløkken could see the band around the organ. It looks like he keeps peering over his music sheet to get a glimpse.

--The setting for the concert is fabulous.

--The platinum blonde singer on the far left is stunning.

--The bass line on "Kebabels tårn" is amazing. I'm pretty sure everyone on this site would love it if they heard it.

I still need to sit down with it and read the liner notes, but I'm so very glad I picked this up (I was somewhat on the fence, balking at $50 for one concert). I hope everyone else here is enjoying it as much as I am!
    I may have to check this out. It took a while for me to fully appreciate Death Defying Unicorn but I love it now. Heavy Metal Fruit was my intro to the band and I became an instant fan. Behind the Sun is fantastic as well. This is a great band!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I may have to check this out. It took a while for me to fully appreciate Death Defying Unicorn but I love it now. Heavy Metal Fruit was my intro to the band and I became an instant fan. Behind the Sun is fantastic as well. This is a great band!
    Yes! You won't regret it.

I'm waiting for Wayside to get one or two more things in stock before I make my next super order, but I'm getting itchy and impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    It really is.

I'm not sure what I expect from this band twenty plus years into their career, but they keep showing me something different. "Big Black Dog" is such a slow burning grinder.

It really is. A really strong release.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'd have to say the same thing. I like it a lot. The last Elephant9, on the other hand, needs more play time. Really deep, psychedelic release with which I didn't connect right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I'd have to say the same thing. I like it a lot. The last Elephant9, on the other hand, needs more play time. Really deep, psychedelic release with which I didn't connect right away.
    You have to be in a specific frame of mind to deal with the onslaught that is Silver Mountain.

I have to admit that I am a relative newbie to this band. I really started to listen to them around Heavy Metal Fruit and really dig everything following that album. My favorite preceding that thus far is most likely It's A Love Cult and starting to get into Demon Box. Where should I head next? I love how this band is all over the board.

Where should I head next? I love how this band is all over the board.
    I really like Timothy's Monster.

Heavy Metal Fruit and Little Lucid Moments are my two favorite space rock records of all time.

Consider getting the recently released Supersonic Scientists best of package. It flows incredibly well and has a really cool band history inside. Well worth owning even if you've already got everything.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I really like Timothy's Monster.
    An incredible double album. The box has some really nice goodies, too.

Let Them Eat Cake was added to my ever growing collection today. Only 5,000 more to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Heavy Metal Fruit and Little Lucid Moments are my two favorite space rock records of all time.
    Love Heavy Metal Fruit, need to check out LLM.

I'm enjoying Here Be Monsters, but have to admit that “Lacuna” sounds a bit too much like Steve Wilson to these ears. “I.M.S.” is great though; the furniture was levitating when I was blasting it this morning.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Part 2 of this album released on April Fool's day? Did anyone know about this?
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

A video of them live in Oslo on Saturday night:

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Part 2 of this album released on April Fool's day? Did anyone know about this?
    It looks like this might be a tour only item.