Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Page to release XYZ Band tapes?

Page to release XYZ Band tapes?

Link

Jimmy Page hopes to publish abandonded supergroup’s work in aftermath of Yes man’s death

Jimmy Page hopes to release the recordings he made with late Yes bassist Chris Squire in 1981, he’s revealed.

They formed XYZ with Yes drummer Alan White, naming the project by abbreviating “Ex-Yes and Zeppelin” because all three were no longer with the bands that had made their names.

Work was abandoned after they failed to secure a suitable singer, although demo material has circulated and some of the music later appeared on the reformed Yes’ 1983 album 90125.

Squire died last month, aged 67.

Asked about releasing the recordings, Page tells Radio.com: “Absolutely, but I haven’t worked on it. It’s something I wanted to do after all the Led Zeppelin stuff was out.

“I wanted to contact Chris and Alan. The music was really good – it’s the first thing I did after we lost John Bonham.

“I had a studio at the time and they wanted to get together. I thought it was like laying down the gauntlet: ‘I’m not curling up under a rock and hiding.’

“These guys are really, really good, so I had to be really good too. It was really an interesting blend – really good music.”

He says of Squire’s death: “That was really sad. He was a phenomenal bass player. It’s really sad that we’ve lost him.

Page’s Led Zep remaster series is completed with the launch of Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda tomorrow (July 31). White last week told how Squire had asked him to keep Yes moving forward before his death.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Autobuy!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Very cool to hear Pagey talk about this project and that he has serious interest in releasing it. I'm in for sure.
    Chad

I have never knowingly heard any of the XYZ demos that have "circulated" though I have so many discs of Yes boots filed away, that I may well have some of it somewhere! I would love to hear this if Page gets it together.

I wonder if there's more than the four songs that have been circulating for years? I have copies of those, and if this is only cleaned up versions of those tracks, I'm going to pass. Most of it is really rough demos, not yet arranged, most without vocal. Not super interesting once you've heard it once.

If there are more tracks, particularly more finished tracks, then I might have some interest. But if it's just the stuff I've heard, I'm really not sure how Page is going to justify releasing that, unless he combines it with other oddities he has in his collection.

Bill

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have never knowingly heard any of the XYZ demos that have "circulated" though I have so many discs of Yes boots filed away, that I may well have some of it somewhere! I would love to hear this if Page gets it together.
    One I remember hearing years ago included the opening bass riff to "Mind Drive."
    Chad

That's the only one I remember.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've never heard any other these demo's before and I'll hold out listening to see if Page does released this stuff (all cleaned up and as pristine as possible)...almost an autobuy...but definitely an auto-listen.

I’ve only heard the widely circulated four demos, and they’re pretty cool - a continuation from Drama, sort of. Squire sings all the lead vocals & he really excels on Telephone Secrets, sounding a bit pissed off about the hassle of modern life & communication failures. Cool track.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I was under the impression this was unfinished work as well. Of course, parts of this turned up in 'Mind Drive', 'Can You Imagine' originates from this and I think a track on The Firm's 2nd album (which I don't have).

Good to see Jimmy Page paying tribute too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I was under the impression this was unfinished work as well... and I think a track on The Firm's 2nd album (which I don't have).
    Yeah, the track is "Fortune Hunter." The XYZ version is really rough with no vocals that I recall. It's most just blowing through the main riff, over which vocals were eventually layered.

IIRC, "Telephone Secrets" was the most finished. To my ears, that one was pretty rough as well, but at least you could get a sense of the song's arrangement. I only recall the main riff from "Mind Drive" right now, I don't recall any vocals on that one other. I'll give a fresh listen to these at some point. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but to my memory these were just recordings of jams that could have been fleshed out into songs, but hadn't yet been (save "Telephone Secrets").

Bill

Who knows what Page has in his vaults. There may be more material. Certainly would be an autobuy for me as well.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I've heard some decent demos. Hope works on them and makes them more complete, using the demos as backing tracks and maybe get White to lay down some fills?

I'm happy with how Fortune Hunter and Mind Drive turned out in their respective other bands. Such a shame that the trio never was realized with a lead singer, but I'll be surprised if there's anything of real value to be revealed by the demos.

I think "Can You Imagine" which ended up on Magnification 20 years later is from these sessions as well. I'm pretty sure it's on YouTube.

Eh... some overdubs and some autotune and this might be mildly cool. I was never very impressed by the boots...

At the time, I was very excited to hear that Squire/White were working with Jimmy Page. I thought that was an interesting and unexpected combination - straight ahead blues-based hard rock and prog. I never understood why Squire didn't handle the lead vocals. His vocal on FOOW are great and his backing vocals are second to none. XYZ would have been a really cool power trio. I thought the demos had a lot of promise. Compare them to Rabin's demos for 90125. I think XYZ sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    At the time, I was very excited to hear that Squire/White were working with Jimmy Page. I thought that was an interesting and unexpected combination - straight ahead blues-based hard rock and prog. I never understood why Squire didn't handle the lead vocals. His vocal on FOOW are great and his backing vocals are second to none. XYZ would have been a really cool power trio. I thought the demos had a lot of promise. Compare them to Rabin's demos for 90125. I think XYZ sounds better.
    If the Rabin 90125 demo's proved anything to me, it's that bringing in Jon A. was a great idea. The demo's are just so blah IMHO.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    If the Rabin 90125 demo's proved anything to me, it's that bringing in Trevor Horn was a great idea. The demo's are just so blah IMHO.

They were very demo-ish sounding if I recall. Not sure if it's really worth releasing.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    If the Rabin 90125 demo's proved anything to me, it's that bringing in Jon A. was a great idea. The demo's are just so blah IMHO.
    To be fair, those demos are sketchpad snapshots of new ideas. I would agree that they are more fully fleshed out than the usual 'strummers' found on other musicians demos but they are still in very early, very raw form (compared to Rabin's usual output). They hadn't been fully realized within the context of a band nor a secured record deal for release.

And I agree with Scott. It was Trevor Horn that was the catalyst for the material to blossom into quality material. He could clearly hear potential in each raw demo selected. If you need proof just listen to the original demo for Owner. Yikes. Disco anyone?
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    They were very demo-ish sounding if I recall. Not sure if it's really worth releasing.
    Agreed. It wasn't that good.

Every time I read a Page interview, Page always says how much he had to "Up his game" for these sessions, like he was playing ball with vastly superior players.

I don't think they were vastly superior to Bonham and Jones. Maybe the smack had him so blown in the weeds he had to work hard just to hang.