Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Page to release XYZ Band tapes?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yeah, him too!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I always thought the XYZ stuff sounded like what it was - some guys getting together and trying out some ideas, capturing them on tape to work on later. Fair enough, but not something I think I'd go out of my way to purchase. More of a curiosity or "for completists only". My understanding is, they wanted to have Jones on keys and Plant on vox, but Plant never showed up. No idea what the deal with JPJ was. One of my favorite Squire quotes concerning this was his comment about Page doing OK until "he got his confidence back, and with it, old habits" or something along those lines. I can see that happening. Oh, and something about him taking like 1/2 an hour to change the battery in his Crybaby.

There has been talk about Plant finding the music complicated but I think he never wanted to be part of a big 'supergroup', nor to work with Page again so soon after Led Zeppelin where comparisons would be made. Even occasions where they later worked together never really lasted the distance.

There could have been danger of disappointment- see The Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    If the Rabin 90125 demo's proved anything to me, it's that bringing in Jon A. was a great idea. The demo's are just so blah IMHO.
    Guess I'm one of the few that actually likes 90124 then. Some of the passion got lost in the reworking.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    If the Rabin 90125 demo's proved anything to me, it's that bringing in Jon A. was a great idea. The demo's are just so blah IMHO.
    A lot of that had to do with Trevor Horn as well, since he took those demos and produced the album.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    They were very demo-ish sounding if I recall. Not sure if it's really worth releasing.
    Page's talks about multi-tracks. Do not presume that what leaked is all that there was.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I would also expect a formal release to have significant sanitizing, for your protection.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

There could have been danger of disappointment- see The Firm.
    I got better mileage from The Firm. I liked both of the albums a lot. I thought there was some strong material there. The weak link with them was Chris Slade. They really needed a better drummer.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

^I only have the debut. I don't rate it very highly. The record really hits a nadir with that rotten cover of 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' but I'd say only about two or three songs get above 'rawk n roll' clichés. Tellingly even one of those, 'Midnight Moonlight', had its roots in a Led Zeppelin sketch called 'Swan Song'. 'Someone To Love' and perhaps 'Radioactive', which is at least a bit different, are the other songs I like. I do enjoy Coverdale/Page...Page is playing more and playing better.

You've Lost that Loving Feeling was Paul Rodger's idea. Agreed, not the best choice of cover material. Money Can't Buy was quite good, as was Satisfaction Guaranteed and the other ones you mention.

Coverdale/Page was better from a Page point of view, but Coverdale is just awful. I liked him in Purple but he had become a caricature of himself by the time this album was released. Page was on fire for that album.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I got better mileage from The Firm. I liked both of the albums a lot. I thought there was some strong material there. The weak link with them was Chris Slade. They really needed a better drummer.
    Interesting. I never had a problem with Slade, thought he did OK with what he was given.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I only have the debut. I don't rate it very highly. The record really hits a nadir with that rotten cover of 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' but I'd say only about two or three songs get above 'rawk n roll' clichés. Tellingly even one of those, 'Midnight Moonlight', had its roots in a Led Zeppelin sketch called 'Swan Song'. 'Someone To Love' and perhaps 'Radioactive', which is at least a bit different, are the other songs I like.
    You've Lost that Loving Feeling was Paul Rodger's idea. Agreed, not the best choice of cover material. Money Can't Buy was quite good, as was Satisfaction Guaranteed and the other ones you mention.
    Guess I'm the only one who absolutely loves that cover of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling." Though it was perfect for The Firm, and I particularly like Tony Franklin's lines on that song. But then I like Tony Franklin on every Firm song. "Money Can't Buy" is also among my favorites on the first album. That one was a sleeper single, imo.

I actually don't disagree at all with the "'rawk n roll' clichés" statement. But given that, I think the album stands up pretty well to most typical rock radio fodder, and does have some nuggets that go places other bands don't. I will say hands down "Fortune Hunter" on the second album is one of my favorite rock songs ever. I love that riff, and I think this is the band's supreme moment, acknowledging it has an XYZ pedigree.

The other really cool thing The Firm did live was a cover of "City Sirens" from JP's Death Wish soundtrack. Great tune that I thought also really played to this band's strengths. Sorry that never made it on an album, I think that would have been a winner.

Bill
    Last edited by Sputnik; 08-02-2015 at 10:19 PM.

no more LZ demos left to milk for cash.... what about The Firm? those 2 albums have never been remastered.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    no more LZ demos left to milk for cash.... what about The Firm? those 2 albums have never been remastered.
    I don't know if you were joking or not, but I'm a big fan of this band and would love remasters of them, especially if there's some additional material to include. The mentioned "City Sirens" would be perfect, that was great to hear live at The Firm live shows.

Count me in on The Firm fandom. I thought they were a great band, with pretty strong material give or take a few songs. Page really changed up his playing and his sound for the band, and came up with some really wacked-out solos. Then you had the satanic guitar lick in "Radioactive", which I heard was actually Paul Rodgers, not Page.

The production was a little too of the times, but still they fared better than most in that age. Very few Supergroups have one decent album, and these guys manged two.

I can't see Rodgers coming up with that guitar lick. Sounds like Page all the way but the song was written by Rodgers.

Bill

I can't see Rodgers coming up with that guitar lick. Sounds like Page all the way but the song was written by Rodgers.

Bill
    I do remember Page saying that in an interview, but it was very long ago. I don't remember where I read it.