Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are the young'uns?

Quote Originally Posted by Nador View Post
    Syd Arthur
    I wish I knew what the hell was going on with those guys. After busting out huge in 2014 they've decided to slow things down considerably this year. They've avoided coming to the states entirely and have only been doing a few UK festivals. Their regular drummer Fred Rother is MIA with another Magill brother occupying the chair lately. Hopefully they're at least working on a new album and that 2016 sees them returning to the level of activity that got them where they are to begin with.

EDIT: I just checked their FB page and they're actually in LA as we speak working on a new album. Huzzah!
    Last edited by Paulrus; 07-31-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wow, lots of great suggestions so far.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Lots of great suggestions already mentioned that I agree with. I don’t think anyone has mentioned Thank You Scientists or Dream The Electric Sleep yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Thank You Scientist

And a few more:

The Cellar and Point
    Druckfarben
    Alco Frisbass
    It's the End
    Corima
    Stars in Battledress
    SKE
    Herba d'Hameli
    Stabat Akish
    Afuche
    Crown Larks
    Rhûn
    Nooumena
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    All my favorites (Wobbler, Astra, Syd Arthur, Aquaserge, Trojan Horse--there's threads for all these bands on this site) have been named. My favorite album from last year was Trojan Horse's, so here be video: :

Thanks! Looks like I need to pick this up.

Rush? Check.
    King Crimson? Check.
    Dream Theater? Check.

I just realized that this band is in the middle of a HUGE list of bands that I need to check out that I've been culling from Prog Magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Thanks! Looks like I need to pick this up.

Rush? Check.
    King Crimson? Check.
    Dream Theater? Check.

Ummmm, check this out. It is like none of those bands at all. Almost sounds like Cardiacs - not the vocals so much as the general goofiness.

Two(ish) that haven't been mentioned that I really like:

Hiatus Kaiyote (Aussie neo-soul-art-rock, really quirky with lots of left turns, odd meters, and inventive electronics)

http://hiatuskaiyote.com/

And also really kind of a nexus of three related bands/projects from Sweden:

Villebråd (At first they were carelessly lumped in with Anekdoten, but they're a a really finely nuanced band with a rare harmonic awareness and emotion. IYAM)

http://prog-sphere.bandcamp.com/album/ampersand

Klotet (punkish instrumental prog, reminds me at times of some of Kultivator's music)

Chords & Melodies (fantastic electronic music, free album!)

http://chordsmelodies.bandcamp.com/
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Ummmm, check this out. It is like none of those bands at all. Almost sounds like Cardiacs - not the vocals so much as the general goofiness.
    They specifically mention Cardiacs, along with XTC, Tears for Fears, Wyatt's Rock Bottom and Soft Machine's Volume Two. Have to say that I hear preciously little Rush, the very odd Krims - but some folks like this might even be offended by the DT comparison, for all I know. Trojan Horse's roots lay most pronouncedly in various styles of independent rock. There's the obvious parallell to Shudder to Think in places, other times even NoMeansNo and that kind of stuff. Great band all the same!

But hey, people may hear what they hear, of course.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    They specifically mention Cardiacs, along with XTC, Tears for Fears, Wyatt's Rock Bottom and Soft Machine's Volume Two. Have to say that I hear preciously little Rush, the very odd Krims - but some folks like this might even be offended by the DT comparison, for all I know. Trojan Horse's roots lay most pronouncedly in various styles of independent rock. There's the obvious parallell to Shudder to Think in places, other times even NoMeansNo and that kind of stuff. Great band all the same!

But hey, people may hear what they hear, of course.
    My comments were limited to that first song, which was all I had to go on at the time.

Nothing wrong with versatility. I don't really have a strong indy background, but I like what I heard from the second song too. Worth further investigation for sure.

Genuine Q: do any, many or most of the young bands actually apply the term prog band to themselves, or do they come under various of the other many new genres, e.g. chill out, retro rock, post-folk, freak folk, indie folk, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Genuine Q: do any, many or most of the young bands actually apply the term prog band to themselves, or do they come under various of the other many new genres, e.g. chill out, retro rock, post-folk, freak folk, indie folk, etc?
    Some of them are happy to describe themselves as prog - Trojan Horse used the term 'prog nouveau' which I rather liked.

Plenty do

Plenty don't
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

And a few more:

Afuche
    Sadly gone right after the album's release.

Along with Algernon, another one sadly gone right after the album's release and another band that fit into the OP's inquiry.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Sadly gone right after the album's release.

Along with Algernon, another one sadly gone right after the album's release and another band that fit into the OP's inquiry.
    Afuche and Algernon were excellent
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Some of them are happy to describe themselves as prog - Trojan Horse used the term 'prog nouveau' which I rather liked.
    I like that prog nouveau, new prog, neo prog.....oh hang on...oops

We've had discussions about this kind of thing around here before; I still feel like using "prog" as some kind of qualifier for measuring musical worth is a useless thing to do.

"Prog" is pretty much a descriptor that we can use to get into the ballpark concerning the music we're talking about, and really not much more.

As far as bands labeling themselves that way . . . . . . . . their choice I guess. Seems like they could be painting themselves into a stylistic corner, but it's their decision.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Jon Neudorf
    Druckfarben
    Tea Club

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    painting themselves into a stylistic corner, but it's their decision.
    Indeed... not sure too many musical artists like to pidgeonhole themselves like that
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Afuche and Algernon were excellent
    Indeed. As were such a dominant portion of the contemporary progressive (note: sans quotation marks!) rock bands Steve signed this last decade; Ahleuchatistas, Mats/Morgan, Upsilon Acrux, Sonar, Guapo, Chrome Hoof, Pixel and the *impossibly* amazing (and much lamented) Time of Orchids.

The true finesse about Algernon was their ability to sound post-, math-, jazz- and prog-rock in just about equal levels, merging the finest of all parts and coming up with a sound so inviting that it's difficult to bring across to anyone who didn't have the pleasure of hearing them. I always thought of it as how things would have come out if someone like Jaga Jazzist's Lars Horntvedt had written music for Battles (the band). Fabulous record, that one.

^ ^ ^

50% of Time Of Orchids made a digital only CDEP as Infantephant. I think it's quite groovy.

http://infantephant.bandcamp.com/alb...tippopacalypse
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

European Mantra

Fresh

Lagitagida
    Last edited by MJBrady; 08-02-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    Simeon Soul Charger
    Purson
    Black Moth
    Airbag
    Abigail's Ghost
    Eversham
    Slow Earth
    Pleasures (ex-Son of Hippies)
    Purson is brilliant!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Anyone heard "Next to None", featuring Portnoy's kid? These are apparently teens.

http://www.nexttonone.net/
    This is the first I've heard of them (though I knew Max Portnoy is a drummer).

If these kids are this good now, I can't wait to hear what they come up with in their 20s and 30s.
    Thanks for sharing!
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I think this (Next to None) was released on Friday, just saw it at Newbury Comics in the New Releases.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    This is the first I've heard of them (though I knew Max Portnoy is a drummer).

If these kids are this good now, I can't wait to hear what they come up with in their 20s and 30s.
    Thanks for sharing!
    They can play their asses off, but damn, they sure sound like Dream Theater Junior.

Slightly more "extreme" vocals, with an Ozzy-like tone, croaking, shouts, and obvious Autotune but no Jimmy The Cheese operatic bellow.