Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD : Spock's Beard : Snow

Fanx 4 that insight Papajim...this thread has made me give this majestic album a few spins! Have ordered the special edition with the demos! Have been listening to it whilst reading the lyrics ...beautiful story that has a meaning behind it!

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJimH View Post
    It's hard for me to be objective on this album as I have such a close personal link to it. I was at Ryo's house when they had the first writing sessions and then in the studio (Lawnmower and Garden Supply) for the entire 10 days of recording. Neal gave me the full demo on the first night of sessions and I remember listening to it in the car on the long drive from Pasadena to Garden Grove that night and being completely blown away. There was magic in the studio like I had never witnessed in my life. There were hilariously funny moments (Dave with a megaphone voice modulator toy "Attention! Stand back, flood gates are opening") and Neal's amazing focus and discipline keeping things moving with every note of every part in his head. It was an amazing experience! But then we moved to "the Mouse House" to add some acoustic parts and horns and on the last day Neal broke the news that he was leaving the band. It was crushing to me as a fan and the band as they came to realize that an era was coming to an end. That music will always have a strong emotional connection for me and I think it's among their best work, but I'm not sure if it would be the same if it didn't have all the surrounding resonances that it does.
    An interesting read - thanks for the insights.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    An interesting read - thanks for the insights.
    Absolutely.

Jim - if you ever write a book, I'd be first in line to buy it!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thanks for your personal insight, PapaJ. Being that close to the music makes it even more special and memorable.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

All of side one is terrific! esp. the final stretch of Open wide the flood gates/Open Wide pt.2/ solitary soul/wind at my back. Side Two is real hit or miss for me but I do love Carrie and Looking for Answers.

I bought this one from a shop in Berlin while travelling,and I was excited because at the time SB had charted in Germany on the back of V. I had plenty of Busabout time on which to digest it (and Anoraknaphobia!). I had been sucked into the SB world by D4N, and was slightly less impressed by V. Try as i might I could not connect with Snow in the same way. The reference to "show tunes" in this threads resonates with me and perhaps matches my feelings of Neal's composition and vocal efforts this time. Oddly enough, Carie and Looking for Answers were instantly my favourites, and I remember thinking on that bus that they should let the drummer sing more lead! In spite of this I was pretty shattered when I heard the news...

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    tons of great songs without long epics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mind Drive View Post
    It is a different approach where an artist shows every style of song writing they have to offer.
    I was just getting into SB around the time Neal started posting stuff online about driving cross-country after 9/11 and coming up with the concept and music for "Snow"; I was coming off the awesome "V" with its sprawling epics and "Snow" was, on first listen, a big let-down due largely to the more patch-work approach (shorter songs). However, like just about all things Neal Morse, after awhile I started picking out some themes and motifs and one day, BAM! It all fell into place.

Although the lyrical concept is quite familiar (as many have mentioned), I'm a "music first" kinda listener and once I started getting familiar with "Snow" I was hooked, lined and sinkered. There's just a sh*tload of fantastic songs on this album with some of Neal's strongest melodies and hooks. I love it.

For some reason when I listen to "Snow" I'm reminded a LOT of Neil Finn...

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Put my name down in the "love it" column. There's a lot of music to digest on this, and, as others have written, lots of styles on board here. There are indeed some strong melodies, but captured within several of the songs are some terrific proggy sections. To my ears, the whole spread has this great flow to it, weaving in and out of melody, progginess, crescendos, quieter/reflective moments, all serving the storyline. And yes, the plot gives ode to previous works, and the listener can choose to look upon that negatively, or enjoy the story for what it is.

This is interesting, in that upon its release, it was blasted here at PE. Even the stalwart SB supporters didn't think much of it. Yet here, we're seeing a lot of support for it. Maybe others have just not bothered opening the thread, I don't know.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

SB's The Lamb?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    SB's The Lamb?

I think IQ's Subterrania (sp) is a much closer match.

I didn't like Snow or V before it.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think IQ's Subterrania (sp) is a much closer match.

I didn't like Snow or V before it.
    Well, IQ did release their own "Supper's Ready", but Snow is more like The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in that it's a story of a young man who visit New York and experiences life-changing events that ultimately lead to self-realizations.

-Marc.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Letter M View Post
    Well, IQ did release their own "Supper's Ready", but Snow is more like The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in that it's a story of a young man who visit New York and experiences life-changing events that ultimately lead to self-realizations.

-Marc.
    I seldom pay attention to lyrics but am talking about the music itself.

Best Spocks beard album - IMO

Rich multi-instrument sounds and thick soundscapes

The vocals could have been stronger. I never liked Neals voice and think it is too weak for this record. But its a great record anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    All of side one is terrific! esp. the final stretch of Open wide the flood gates/Open Wide pt.2/ solitary soul/wind at my back. Side Two is real hit or miss for me but I do love Carrie and Looking for Answers.
    My feelings exactly. Side one gets regular rotation; side two does not.