Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: YES/TOTO 2015 -- Post Your Tour Reviews and Videos

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I thought about going to this, I still might in honor of CS, but I imagine the Yes set will be a shortened greatest hit package does not sound appealing.

Even worse would sitting through the godawful corporate AOR drivel of Toto. YUCK!!!

Ok back to listening to Hot Rats.
    I guess you only know Toto's three big hits. Ignorance and insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    That's only two.

I love Toto threads on PE.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Saw Toto a couple of months ago in London - they are at the top of their game (though they've always been great live) and are touring behind a very strong new album. Rest assured they will put on a great show.
    It is not a competition of course, and I don't mean to slag off Yes (though I don't have the greatest opinion of their recent live performances) but they would have to seriously up their game to not suffer in comparison.

Curious to see what sort of setlist Toto will put together for this tour. Their recent European tour featured a fantastic selection encompassing their whole discography with a great mix between hits and deep cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wot Gorilla View Post
    That's only two.
    Ha! Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Indeed. It seems I missed the tour where they apparently played a triple Bill, sharing the stage with UnIvers Zero and Art Bears.

Indeed. It seems I missed the tour where they apparently played a triple Bill, sharing the stage with UnIvers Zero and Art Bears.
    If it ain't prog, it sucks
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I thought about going to this, I still might in honor of CS, but I imagine the Yes set will be a shortened greatest hit package does not sound appealing.

Even worse would sitting through the godawful corporate AOR drivel of Toto. YUCK!!!

Ok back to listening to Hot Rats.
    My apologies to all for being dubious about the existence of jackassery like this.

I'll be curious to hear anyone's experience with the meet and greet since I (foolishly?) pulled the trigger on it this time around.
    The Prog Corner

Toto is a band of high caliber musicians who made a conscious effort to write commercial music and make a lot of money. But it was never a total compromise because not only did they often sneak some stuff into their material for proggers and fusion fans, but in their live shows, they often open the tunes up for some extended jamming and let me tell you, those guys can PLAY! A pretty clever concept if you ask me; give the masses something to sink their teeth into, but save some stuff for the "musos" and for the band themselves to have fun with. I've seen them live twice and in terms of sheer instrumental and vocal performance, they were one of the best rock bands I've ever seen; they all get to shine individually, but as an ensemble, they're tighter than a gnat's ass! Even you would've smiled when at one of those shows, (then) keyboard player Greg Phillinganes launched into Coltrane's "Giant Steps" during his feature and blew an impressive solo over it.

I'm not into this whole Yes vs. Toto thing; it isn't a fight to the death cage match, for chrissakes! But the Toto detractors in attendance at these shows just might be very pleasantly surprised by what they're going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    ...in their live shows, they often open the tunes up for some extended jamming and let me tell you, those guys can PLAY! A pretty clever concept if you ask me; give the masses something to sink their teeth into, but save some stuff for the "musos" and for the band themselves to have fun with.
    Funny, that's what Yes used to do back in the early 70s. Granted, their studio albums were more proggy than Toto's but one thing I've missed in recent years -- since at least the 90s -- was the lack of any sort of stretching out in the live shows.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The advertisements I have seen for the Detroit show all seem to indicate Yes being the headliners.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The advertisements I have seen for the Detroit show all seem to indicate Yes being the headliners.
    I saw a 15 second TV ad last night, seems to suggest the same. Also, Squire in the videos...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post
    Should be an interesting and emotional night at Foxwoods/MGM.
    First OFFICIAL show under YES banner without the great Chris Squire.
    Will be there for sure.......
    As will I. Looking very forward to this one. Great theater with terrific sound! Will definitely miss Chris Squire, though. Billy Sherwood has quite the role to fill, however. It will be interesting, for sure...

Ed
    -------------------------------
    www.myriadtrio.com
    www.facebook.com/MyriadtrioNY

Toto is a band of high caliber musicians who made a conscious effort to write commercial music and make a lot of money. But it was never a total compromise because not only did they often sneak some stuff into their material for proggers and fusion fans, but in their live shows, they often open the tunes up for some extended jamming and let me tell you, those guys can PLAY! A pretty clever concept if you ask me; give the masses something to sink their teeth into, but save some stuff for the "musos" and for the band themselves to have fun with. I've seen them live twice and in terms of sheer instrumental and vocal performance, they were one of the best rock bands I've ever seen; they all get to shine individually, but as an ensemble, they're tighter than a gnat's ass! Even you would've smiled when at one of those shows, (then) keyboard player Greg Phillinganes launched into Coltrane's "Giant Steps" during his feature and blew an impressive solo over it.

I'm not into this whole Yes vs. Toto thing; it isn't a fight to the death cage match, for chrissakes! But the Toto detractors in attendance at these shows just might be very pleasantly surprised by what they're going to get.
    Ernie is the voice of reason!

I'll be at the NJ show, and I can't wait. I'm ONLY going for the "godawful corporate AOR drivel of Toto", so, in a way, I hope they do go on first. I'll be bringing my 9 year old, so earlier is better...

I'll also be at the meet and greet, but I'm assuming miamiscot is asking about the Yes meet and greet... I did a Toto meet and greet 2 years ago, and it was a blast. Super nice guys, and you can tell they really appreciate their fans. My son was 7 at the time and they made him feel like a star. We're really excited to go again.

I was of the closed minded mindset about Toto until I saw them. I was absolutely blown away. It was amazing the amount of prog they delivered... I had no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonap View Post

I'll be at the NJ show, and I can't wait. I'm ONLY going for the "godawful corporate AOR drivel of Toto", so, in a way, I hope they do go on first. I'll be bringing my 9 year old, so earlier is better...

I'll also be at the meet and greet, but I'm assuming miamiscot is asking about the Yes meet and greet... I did a Toto meet and greet 2 years ago, and it was a blast. Super nice guys, and you can tell they really appreciate their fans. My son was 7 at the time and they made him feel like a star. We're really excited to go again.
    It sounds like you are being sarcastic when you say the "godawful corporate AOR drivel of Toto" since apparently you are much more of a fan of Toto than YES(something I would think would be rather rare on here but I'm sure you're not the only other one(in fact I know you aren't). But hey to each their own. I will be there(mainly for YES since I'm a big fan). I am admittedly psyched to see Toto since I've never seen them live before. However, I have to admit that as far as Toto goes I only know the hits.

Anyway, from what I understand YES will be the last band(I won't say headliners)for this show(and presumably the rest of the tour). So if you wish to leave right after Toto that is your prerogative to do so. Also, there is two shows in NJ(Newark and Atlantic City). I'll be at the AC show at the Borgata.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 08-02-2015 at 05:12 PM.

I am attending the Newark, NJ show this Saturday night. 13th row. I am actually really looking forward to both bands. However, I listened to some of the new Toto material on You Tube and it really did not do much for me. Looking forward to the 80s/90s Toto material, though!

Library Jon

Steve Lukather is in Toto.

'nuff said
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

'nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It sounds like you are being sarcastic when you say the "godawful corporate AOR drivel of Toto"
    Yes, I was being sarcastic - I was actually quoting what N_Singh wrote. Sorry that was lost in the post! I'm a huge Toto fan, and not afraid to admit it - even on PE!

I am a fan of Yes, and I've seen them a couple of times. If I didn't have my 9 y.o. with me, I'd most likely stay for them - assuming they do go on second. He may be falling asleep by then. Who knows, maybe everyone will be wide awake and want to stay for the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonap View Post

Indeed I was - although I am truly looking forward to seeing Toto as Lukather is one of my favorite guitarists.

Anyone with insight as to the particulars of this year's YES meet and greet please post them here!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

'nuff said
    Yup!

I'll be in Atlantic City on Sunday.