Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Tony Banks interview

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Well, I kind of agree...I would say it has the same pastoral sound throughout (unabashedly beautiful, clever, interesting, and luscious pastoral sound).
    Very well put. I appreciate Six for being more sprigtly and dramatic and perhaps more confident compositionally, being a later work. Still I've liked Seven since it was first released and its beauty has always been the main selling point.

Since he started with Seven: A Suite for Orchestra and followed it with Six Pieces for Orchestra, what might the next one be titled? Five More Orchestral Pieces to Wind Up Those Waiting for One Motherfucking Prog Epic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Very well put. I appreciate Six for being more sprigtly and dramatic and perhaps more confident compositionally, being a later work. Still I've liked Seven since it was first released and its beauty has always been the main selling point.

Since he started with Seven: A Suite for Orchestra and followed it with Six Pieces for Orchestra, what might the next one be titled? Five More Orchestral Pieces to Wind Up Those Waiting for One Motherfucking Prog Epic?
    You know I wouldn't be surprised if the next one actually was five, in the interview he said he had 3 pieces written and wanted to do a couple more (or something along those lines).

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    You know I wouldn't be surprised if the next one actually was five, in the interview he said he had 3 pieces written and wanted to do a couple more (or something along those lines).
    or maybe he's saving those for "Three" and "Two" respectively.

Since I have all the albums on CD except "Soundtracks," I bought/downloaded the Soundtrack pieces from "A Chord Too Far" and like them. So much so, that I became inspired to watch "Starship," aka "Lorca and the Outlaws." I wish I hadn't. One third of the way through the movie, I shut it off as it was a crashing bore. Poor Tony didn't seem to know what do soundtrack-wise, either: the music is mostly orchestral cues, squeeks and burbles thrown into random places. If I hadn't known it was Tony Banks, I would have thought the music was made by some greenhorn who'd just discovered the synthesizer and thought he could make a soundtrack.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Since I have all the albums on CD except "Soundtracks," I bought/downloaded the Soundtrack pieces from "A Chord Too Far" and like them. So much so, that I became inspired to watch "Starship," aka "Lorca and the Outlaws." I wish I hadn't. One third of the way through the movie, I shut it off as it was a crashing bore. Poor Tony didn't seem to know what do soundtrack-wise, either: the music is mostly orchestral cues, squeeks and burbles thrown into random places. If I hadn't known it was Tony Banks, I would have thought the music was made by some greenhorn who'd just discovered the synthesizer and thought he could make a soundtrack.
    What's worse, is that most of the music that ended up on 'Starship' wasn't even Tony. Tracks like 'Redwing' and 'Lorca' were replaced in the Americanized version of Lorca & The Outlaws (Starship) by someone else. So not only was the movie itself bad enough, the cool musical mood is also gone. The only thing of Tony's in 'Starship' is at one point, part of 'Lion of Symmetry' is being performed on a TV in a bar.

PS: Did you happen to also download 'Poppet', and if so, what did you think of it?

What's worse, is that most of the music that ended up on 'Starship' wasn't even Tony. Tracks like 'Redwing' and 'Lorca' were replaced in the Americanized version of Lorca & The Outlaws (Starship) by someone else. So not only was the movie itself bad enough, the cool musical mood is also gone. The only thing of Tony's in 'Starship' is at one point, part of 'Lion of Symmetry' is being performed on a TV in a bar.
    Guh! Well, on one hand, I'm glad the random synth dibbles weren't Tony's (even if he was given credit at the beginning of the film, poor guy) . On the other hand, I'm sorry I wasted a half hour watching that tedious trainwreck.

PS: Did you happen to also download 'Poppet', and if so, what did you think of it?
    I like it! It has the baroque chipperness of "Charm" (without the percussion). "Kit" is also quite nice, too.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Guh! Well, on one hand, I'm glad the random synth dibbles weren't Tony's (even if he was given credit at the beginning of the film, poor guy) . On the other hand, I'm sorry I wasted a half hour watching that tedious trainwreck.

I like it! It has the baroque chipperness of "Charm" (without the percussion). "Kit" is also quite nice, too.
    Yeah as to 'Starship', I watched the whole stupid thing, wondering where 'Redwing' was. It was years later that I read the movie was identical to 'Lorca' (including the credits), but that they had replaced Tony's music. For years I kept wondering what I was missing, why I wasn't catching the Banks mood.

Glad 'Poppet' is cool. I'd download it, but I have the hardcopy coming so... I can wait. Yeah 'Kit' is definitely a cool track, some great chords there toward the end.

I am dipping in and out of the box set and to be honest I am very surprised at how good a lot of the material is. Some of it is very much of its time, but the quality of the songwriting is very high. It is a surprise that Banks didn't receive the commercial or critical success that the others did. I think this box set will change a lot of people's perception of Tony Banks solo material.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazcrim View Post
    I am dipping in and out of the box set and to be honest I am very surprised at how good a lot of the material is. Some of it is very much of its time, but the quality of the songwriting is very high. It is a surprise that Banks didn't receive the commercial or critical success that the others did. I think this box set will change a lot of people's perception of Tony Banks solo material.
    I'd like to think so... but if his solo material did not find a receptive audience back then, why would it do so now?

I mean, who is going to buy this box set? Most likely, people who already love Tony Banks as an artist and who for one reason or another did not acquire albums like Still and Strictly Inc when they were easily obtainable.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'd like to think so... but if his solo material did not find a receptive audience back then, why would it do so now?

I mean, who is going to buy this box set? Most likely, people who already love Tony Banks as an artist and who for one reason or another did not acquire albums like Still and Strictly Inc when they were easily obtainable.
    Probably so. But there is still the possibility of new fans. For instance, I had never heard one note from Brand X, but when I saw their 4 disc box set come out I got one because I was curious and wanted to dive in.

I'm hopeful a similar thing may happen with people who are unfamiliar with Tony Banks but whose curiosity might cause them to pick this one up.

Are these tracks new mixes?

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Are these tracks new mixes?
    Yes, most or all of them, according to this interview with Alan Hewitt, which I think is the best interview of all:

http://www.twronline.net/issues/twr9..._interview.htm

Besides some Anderson Howe melodies no one writes more gorgeous melodies than Banks and Hackett---and my dream is to have them collaborate.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Besides some Anderson Howe melodies no one writes more gorgeous melodies than Banks and Hackett---and my dream is to have them collaborate.
    I don't think it will ever happen but it would be great if it did.

Yes, most or all of them, according to this interview with Alan Hewitt, which I think is the best interview of all:

http://www.twronline.net/issues/twr9..._interview.htm
    That is great news! Even more incentive to get this box now.

Good interview too. Thanks for sharing.

Received the box today. Very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed the bonus tracks on first listening. (I listened to discs one and four) But yes the 4 bonus tracks are pretty sublime alright. Some of it is certainly akin to the instrumentals on 'A Curious Feeling'. With the remixes, some of it certainly sounds improved, such as 'Lion of Symmetry'. As to what is remixed, its most everything prior to 'Still' that is remixed with Nick Davis. 'Still' and 'Strictly Inc' were already mixed by Nick.

I will definitely get mileage out of this.

I haven't yet received the album by John Potter that has the 2 vocal tracks written by Tony. Will provide feedback as soon as I receive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I absolutely hate white text on black background. It really does strange things to my vision and makes me susceptible to migraines. Why IS this so popular to do? The Innerviews site (that I think very highly of) does this. Ugh!

On topic: as always is the case with Tony Banks' interviews, it is a fascinating and allows insight to his mind. Thanks for posting!
    If you drag the mouse over the text as if you are highlighting, it will change the background to blue and should help you reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Please do!
    Received 'Amores Pasados' today, and listened to the two songs written by Tony Banks. This is an album by John Potter, a tenor, I suppose?, With 2 lutenists. There is also a soprano on the album. The 2 Banks' songs are quite beautiful. 'Follow Thy Fair Sun', and 'The Cypress Curtain of the Night', the latter which especially has a lot of those chords that Banks has been known to use, curious minors, and I'm happy that he uses them here nicely. Time will tell how/if they grow on me, but these are quite nice. Only downside is both songs are I think under 4 minutes. But that may fit the compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    If you drag the mouse over the text as if you are highlighting, it will change the background to blue and should help you reading it.
    Thanks, Garion81...I forgot about that trick. (On some forums one can change background and text colors in the preferences section)

Suspended
    What's wrong with white text on black background? Generations of schoolchildren don't seem to have found it a problem.

I'll agree it's not the most aesthetic, but at least it's readable - unlike some of the text/background combinations that seem to be favoured by editors of some (paper) magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    What's wrong with white text on black background? Generations of schoolchildren don't seem to have found it a problem.

I'll agree it's not the most aesthetic, but at least it's readable - unlike some of the text/background combinations that seem to be favoured by editors of some (paper) magazines.
    M I G R A I N E S

Well, as someone whose never heard a note of Tony Banks solo material (as far as I can remember, anyway), reading this thread and the interviews has piqued my interest. Might just have to dive in with this box set. I didn't realize he had done an epic on one of his albums! I plan to approach it with an open mind, and try very hard not to expect 70's Genesis

As to his comments about hit singles.............can you really blame them for focusing on that? I mean really, if any of us were able to write a hit single that generated large amounts of money, wouldn't we do it too? I sure would. When I was younger, I used to scorn such things and was determined to do whatever I felt like doing musically and never "stoop" to doing anything I wasn't interested in. That is why I now work in an office and music is just a hobby I do when I have some spare time. These guys were serious about making a living playing popular music. The only way that was ever going to happen was for them to try to have "hits". I used to wonder why they "sold out" too......why Phil ruined Genesis and all the other cliche's that people who like challenging music apply to later Genesis. But if they hadn't had a hit on "And Then There Were Three", as Tony says, they probably would have ended the band and I probably wouldn't have been able to easily find Genesis Live at my local record store (along with Nursery Cryme and all the rest) in 1990. I suppose when the prog resurgence happened, Esoteric or some similar company would have put out the old albums, but still. Their commercial success in the 80's ironically helped raise the profile of their earlier, far less popular works. So even though I still don't like anything after Wind & Withering, I am glad they had the success that they did, that then allowed me to easily discover their early works at a young age.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Well, as someone whose never heard a note of Tony Banks solo material (as far as I can remember, anyway), reading this thread and the interviews has piqued my interest. Might just have to dive in with this box set. I didn't realize he had done an epic on one of his albums! I plan to approach it with an open mind, and try very hard not to expect 70's Genesis
    I think you will find that "An Island In the Darkness" does not sound at all out of place alongside Genesis classics like "Firth of Fifth" or "Can-Utility". There are other quite long songs: "Somebody Else's Dream", "Another Murder of a Day", though I leave it to others to debate whether they are long enough to be termed "epic".

I can't help thinking that once you have this box set you will find yourself wanting to seek out the original albums, if you can find them. The first album in particular would seem to suffer from having a selection of tracks taken out of context, rather than hearing the whole album. the other albums, perhaps not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post

As to his comments about hit singles.............can you really blame them for focusing on that? I mean really, if any of us were able to write a hit single that generated large amounts of money, wouldn't we do it too? I sure would. When I was younger, I used to scorn such things and was determined to do whatever I felt like doing musically and never "stoop" to doing anything I wasn't interested in. That is why I now work in an office and music is just a hobby I do when I have some spare time. These guys were serious about making a living playing popular music. The only way that was ever going to happen was for them to try to have "hits". I used to wonder why they "sold out" too......why Phil ruined Genesis and all the other cliche's that people who like challenging music apply to later Genesis. But if they hadn't had a hit on "And Then There Were Three", as Tony says, they probably would have ended the band and I probably wouldn't have been able to easily find Genesis Live at my local record store (along with Nursery Cryme and all the rest) in 1990. I suppose when the prog resurgence happened, Esoteric or some similar company would have put out the old albums, but still. Their commercial success in the 80's ironically helped raise the profile of their earlier, far less popular works. So even though I still don't like anything after Wind & Withering, I am glad they had the success that they did, that then allowed me to easily discover their early works at a young age.
    An Island In The Darkness is a fine song, very powerful and emotional at times, in the way that only Tony can write.

Your point of view is interesting, regarding Genesis and their tendency toward making "hits" in their later career. While Genesis never made an album I disliked, when I was younger I went back and forth on how I felt about their albums post-Duke. But, like you, I'm glad they became as popular as they did and that I was able to "discover" them as a result and work my way backward through their catalog.

Regardless of how one feels about their later music, it would seem hard to argue against there being a unique chemistry and sound that the three of them (Phil, Mike, and Tony) had together. Tony is a highly idiosyncratic writer, and perhaps too cerebral to "break into the mainstream", but when teamed with Phil and Mike, it was like they balanced each other out. Or something like that.

But I still like to hear Tony Banks' music "undiluted", if you know what I mean, which is why I love his solo albums so much.

Anyway, if you do decide to dive into some of Mr. Banks' solo catalog, I hope you enjoy what you find there!

I like all Genesis' albums to some degree. They almost always had strong B-sides/EP tracks in reserve, which would have improved the albums. I don't think there's a compromised Union/Open Your Eyes/In The Hot Seat-type affair in their discography.

I wouldn't say a box is a good place to start with any artist. 'A Curious Feeling' is the best place. Didn't rate it on my first listens nearly ten years ago, came back to it a while later and couldn't stop playing it then. I find it a work of great depth. 'Somebody Else's Dream' is a seriously powerful track- a fantastic vocal by Kim Beacon and those doomy chord progressions at the end are quite something.