Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Work

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post

Live in Japan: The sound is surprisingly crisp and clear, considering that it was taped on a cassette from the audience.

Glad you appreciate the sound I work my ass off on this one by transfering from 2 vinyl copies and toggling between each one to avoid artifacts. ( I don't think this was a audience recording

The Worst of Everywhere: This is a cassette only that was never released on CD. It is excerpts from live recordings, roughly compiled by Hodgkinson. Some excerpts are very short, just a few seconds, others are long, and they start and stop very abruptly . There are no complete songs here that I can hear, and there is very little singing also. It is mostly instrumentals, some improvisation, but also some complex written stuff. On side B there is a long excerpt from another band project, the Woof, which also included Catherine Jauniaux, Chris Cutler and others. Some of this is complex written stuff, almost in Henry Cow style.

I have that transfered and "cleaned up" maybe I'll tell Tim to put it up on Bandcamp

4th World: Another good sounding live recording, mostly songs.
    Yup this one also passed through my rig ! it was quite claustrophobic so I had to do something about it

I still find it hard to believe that Live In Japan was recorded from the audience with 80s recording equipment, no f%#!ing way
    Its also my favourite, energy-wise its a killer and the setlist is sort of a "best of" for me
    And of course, Cutler, Amos, etc

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I still find it hard to believe that Live In Japan was recorded from the audience with 80s recording equipment, no f%#!ing way
    Its also my favourite, energy-wise its a killer and the setlist is sort of a "best of" for me
    And of course, Cutler, Amos, etc
    I have this on LP only. In the insert it says: "It was recorded by Masae Nishimura on a cassette recorder half way back the hall, & later remastered through a DBX expander & graphic equaliser by us at Hanamoto studios in Tokyo."

Quote Originally Posted by trondis23 View Post
    I have this on LP only. In the insert it says: "It was recorded by Masae Nishimura on a cassette recorder half way back the hall, & later remastered through a DBX expander & graphic equaliser by us at Hanamoto studios in Tokyo."
    I was also going to quote from my vinyl copy. I don't like this one as much as everyone else; certainly Chris is technically 10x the drummer Rick Wilson is, but it doesn't sound like The Work to me
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh shit is this another band i need to explore?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

essential
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I was also going to quote from my vinyl copy. I don't like this one as much as everyone else; certainly Chris is technically 10x the drummer Rick Wilson is, but it doesn't sound like The Work to me
    This period along with Cassiber Cutler's energy was incredibly intense

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Hi, Ian

Yes, indeedee ! You'll dig 'em. Very badass stuff, and right up your alley.

Great band!
    I was at the concert that is documented on 4th world, and I have vivid memories from it. I also know the guy who recorded it. :-)

I forgot I started this thread, but I grabbed Rubber Cage a little while ago, threw it in Das Auto, and blissed out. Always a great listen - Just a very interesting way to construct tunes. I Really dig the B-I-G bass tone on this record.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prehensile Pencil View Post
    Hi, Ian

Yes, indeedee ! You'll dig 'em. Very badass stuff, and right up your alley.
    Indeed you were correct, completely in my wheelhouse
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.