Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low output to high regard ratio

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Love.

I know they did more than just the one album (Forever Changes), but most of their reputation seems to rest on that one album, which at the time of release reached the stratospheric heights of no. 154 on the U.S. charts. Yet today every sod and his dog cites Love among their influences - even Kevin Parker of Tame Impala, for heaven's sake.
    ×2 (speaking for myself and the elder statesman of PE )
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Love were more than a 'one album wonder'. The first side of 'Da Capo' is the equal of 'Forever Changes'- 'Seven And Seven Is', 'Stephanie Knows Who', 'She Comes In Colors', 'Orange Skies', brilliant songs. The first two of those have been covered by other rock groups (Rush and The Move respectively). The debut also has its admirers and 'Four Sail' has 'August', a great track.

Yep, and She Comes In Colors was redone (well, imho) by the Hooters.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Listen closely and you'll see 'She Comes in Colors' also forms the basis of Madonna's Beautiful Stranger. I hope Arthur Lee got paid for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Elmore James only did one that I know of, 'Dust My Broom'. There aren't many covers of Johnson's songs by the blues artists you speak of. I am not aware of blues covers of things like 'Love In Vain', 'Crossroads', 'Rambling On My Mind', 'Stop Breaking Down', 'Travelling Riverside Blues' etc., which British bands did.
    Muddy Waters did a killer version of "Walkin Blues" in the early 50s

Elmore James did a version of "Crossroads" titled "Cross Roads Blues"

Boyd Gilmore did a cool version of "Ramblin On My Mind" in the early 50s. Somebody else did a version of it too but I cant remember who it was.

A few people did "Stop Breaking Down". I think the Sonny Boy Williamson version is the most popular although thats not "power blues". per se, There is a rockin' version of it from the 50s but I dont remember who did it. Just "Googled" it: Baby Boy Warren. LOL - I would have never remembered that

theres more, too, but i just woke up and I need coffee.........

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Has anyone mentioned The Doors? Still a force after all these years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    Nick Drake - 3 albums
    Nirvana - 3 albums

Tose are the ones who came to mind.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

How about a single song starting a whole genre of music: Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight"
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Maybe a bit obscure by the thread criteria (?), but the first name that came to mind was Van Dyke Parks. Most 'mericans heard him continuously through the 70's, whether aware of it, or not.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    How about a single song starting a whole genre of music: Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight"
    or was it "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash? I'm never quite sure which is considered the first.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    or was it "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash? I'm never quite sure which is considered the first.
    King Timothy III by Fatback....look it up

.......although I could postulate a good debate that rednecks started the modern-version of rap a decade earlier :

Good one.

Jellyfish