Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Phish?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    I first saw Phish in 91.....watched them grow and grow and then destroy themselves.

I like the space they are in right now.
    So you can relate. Yeah, it's been very interesting following a band playing bars to arenas and sheds. I do like where they are now. It's not compelling enough for me to keep up. Their last good studio album was Farmhouse. From then on I've not really been into the studio stuff either. I do want to check out Trey's latest album though.

I highly recommend the Joy album, it's a terrific collection of songs (including the prog Time Turns Elastic, which had the crowd fleeing to the bathrooms and concession stands both times I heard it live) and the band sounds terrific in the studio. Fuego has some moments for me, but doesn't quite work in the same way.

I messed the glory days of the 90's, I was one of those who bought in to the "Meh, they're just Dead clones, why bother?" thing. Since I have zero interest in the Dead, I didn't hear Phish until 2002 when I stumbled across Bittersweet Motel on cable. I was hooked immediately, but my first show 7/8/03 in Chula Vista was almost my last. They were very poor that night, Trey was obviously wasted. Did the Brooklyn > SPAC run in 2004, thought that 6/19/04 in Saratoga Springs was one of the best shows I've seen by anyone, just loved it. Been to as many shows as money allows since, looking forward to seeing them in a month here in Los Angeles. Not really thrilled with the setlists so far, however, I really don't want a return to the Coverville of 1998, I'd like to hear more new stuff from them.

Of course, if they do a good version of The Curtain With at the show I'm going to, all will be forgiven.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    So you can relate. Yeah, it's been very interesting following a band playing bars to arenas and sheds. I do like where they are now. It's not compelling enough for me to keep up. Their last good studio album was Farmhouse. From then on I've not really been into the studio stuff either. I do want to check out Trey's latest album though.
    I live through the webcasts and downloads. I don't enjoy going to big concerts anymore....but I totally love the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I highly recommend the Joy album, it's a terrific collection of songs (including the prog Time Turns Elastic, which had the crowd fleeing to the bathrooms and concession stands both times I heard it live) and the band sounds terrific in the studio. Fuego has some moments for me, but doesn't quite work in the same way.

I messed the glory days of the 90's, I was one of those who bought in to the "Meh, they're just Dead clones, why bother?" thing. Since I have zero interest in the Dead, I didn't hear Phish until 2002 when I stumbled across Bittersweet Motel on cable. I was hooked immediately, but my first show 7/8/03 in Chula Vista was almost my last. They were very poor that night, Trey was obviously wasted. Did the Brooklyn > SPAC run in 2004, thought that 6/19/04 in Saratoga Springs was one of the best shows I've seen by anyone, just loved it. Been to as many shows as money allows since, looking forward to seeing them in a month here in Los Angeles. Not really thrilled with the setlists so far, however, I really don't want a return to the Coverville of 1998, I'd like to hear more new stuff from them.

Of course, if they do a good version of The Curtain With at the show I'm going to, all will be forgiven.
    Ah, love Curtain. I listened to a bit of the first Wrigley Field show. Pretty good. I like the group jamming thing they do now. I don't really need to hear the old tunes. As I said, they kind of butcher them or half play them. Or I could just be hearing things.
    I've only heard Joy a few times. So cool you saw Time Turns Elastic live! Too bad it wasn't popular as it was a sort of return to form for them. Anyway, They usually hit Atlanta in the summer, where I am, but not this year. Probably watch some webcasts.

Wrigley 06/25/16: Amazing Set 2- Carini, Tweezer, Fluffhead, Piper, Steam, Wading In The Velvet Sea, Harry Hood, Tweezer Reprise
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Great version of Moma Dance from this past weekend. Takes me back to the "Black Eyed Katy" days.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are there any decent quality videos (visually) where Trey is wasted?

I'm not so up on Phish but bought the big Joy box, and the album sounded pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are there any decent quality videos (visually) where Trey is wasted?

I'm not so up on Phish but bought the big Joy box, and the album sounded pretty good to me.
    There are a few good tunes on that bonus Party Time disc. Trey's solo stuff is pretty good. I'm not sure about shows with Trey wasted. It started being a problem when they came back in 2000 after the hiatus.

Phish has definitely changed. I think Trey could give two shits about playing the old proggy stuff well. He's lazy and screws up all the time. What they do well now is playing simple pop tunes and jamming them out at the end. Funk jams are the staple these days like Mama Dance and Back On the Train. Kind of sad to see a huge fan base be so into a so called great guitar player play like shit. I mean, why put up with it. Howe is 70 years old and still plays everything perfectly, if a bit slower.

^^ that's a bit harsh, imo... I agree that Trey's songwriting has been much less ambitious, overall, and they don't play as tight as they did 25 yrs ago, but I don't agree that Trey "plays like shit." There are still plenty of musical highs and they're still so much fun.

I was fortunate enough to be in the pit for both shows at the Mann in Philly last week, and thoroughly enjoyed both shows.

Totally agree with Gerhard.....songs are simpler, but Trey is playing very, every well.

And yes, they are fun!

I think Trey could give two shits about playing the old proggy stuff well. He's lazy and screws up all the time
    No, Phish plays 25-30 shows spread out over a year now, not 140 like they did in the mid-90's. They are all middle-aged men with lives outside the band, the days of them practicing 8 hours a day are long gone. And even in the peak years of 1992-1997, they *all* made mistakes on the proggier stuff, it's just no one really pays attention when Page plays a piano progression wrong.

What they do well now is playing simple pop tunes and jamming them out at the end. Funk jams are the staple these days like Mama Dance and Back On the Train
    Yep, they stopped focusing on the proggy stuff by the late 90's and after seeing the chilly reception that the excellent song Time Turns Elastic got, I doubt there's going to be any more proggy stuff from them.

Kind of sad to see a huge fan base be so into a so called great guitar player play like shit
    You obviously haven't read the fan comments about SPAC night 3. The little I listened to wasn't good at all -they butchered one of my favorite songs Theme from the Bottom for example-- and the fans have let them know it.

I mean, why put up with it
    For those moments like the second set of 8/9/09 that are pure musical transcendence. Why put up with a bunch of people, including someone not named Chris Squire, zipping through Yes songs as if they have a plane to catch?

Howe is 70 years old and still plays everything perfectly, if a bit slower
    Let's have Steve Howe have to improvise for half the show and see how he does.
    ...or you could love

Re-read my post. I was talking specifically about the prog-type tunes (Reba, Rift) There's no reason Trey can't take 10-20 minutes before the show and practice the solo in Horn if they plan to play it that night. He calls tunes up on stage that the band seems to just muddle through. I guess they did play Guyute well last night, so maybe there's hope.

Of course Howe is not an improvisor. His focus is playing compositions. Trey used to be that way AND jam. Now it's just 3.0 jams coming out of the simple tunes...which I like sometimes and glad the kids are digging it.

My bigger question is why to we put up with the 'great' guitarists in the rock world playing less than stellar on some of their material where in the prog or jazz world, that just wouldn't fly.
    Last edited by zumacraig; 07-07-2016 at 01:01 PM.

I enjoyed the Saturday show at SPAC. Can't complain any time there is a Divided Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I enjoyed the Saturday show at SPAC. Can't complain any time there is a Divided Sky.
    That or Possum makes any show spectacular for me.

And they have done Fluffhead twice on this tour!

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    My bigger question is why to we put up with the 'great' guitarists in the rock world playing less than stellar on some of their material where in the prog or jazz world, that just wouldn't fly.
    I don't follow Phish anymore but I would find it hard to believe that Trey is THAT terrible - he was always pretty great to my ears. As to "putting up" with him - doesn't that seem a bit odd to you? Why put up with anything? Don't listen - problem solved. I think that Trey has earned enough of my respect that what he does these days is up to him. I think folks treat Phil Collins the same way - let the guy do what he wants, and play what he wants. Don't like it? Hit the 'pass' button. I'm not trying to be snarky here, just my opinion on these great musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I don't follow Phish anymore but I would find it hard to believe that Trey is THAT terrible
    Well, when they returned in 2009 the band was a bit rusty, especially Fishman, but they gradually got their act together to peak during the summer 2012 tour. The next summer Trey lost the ball at the beginning, but got back to full form for the fall 2013 tour, then lost it again for the most part of 2014. Thankfully next year he got a grip practising for the Grateful Dead anniversary gig, and led the band to another peak during the summer 2015 tour. Now Phish fans are talking about a new step back that is supposedly even worse than Trey's patchy playing in 2014.

Is Trey THAT terrible? Only on a bad night I'd say, but when it happens...

https://www.phantasytour.com/bands/p...-thread#page/1
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-09-2016 at 07:19 AM.

Phish lives or dies based on how Trey plays. I haven't heard the Friday or Saturday shows yet, but there's definitely been some less-than-stellar moments from him this tour. What cracks me up is when I hear a bad patch in his playing, I'm almost certain it's because of one of two things:

1) He's just finished singing and then looks down at his pedal board to change the sound and forgets that whole "play the notes correctly" thing
    2) He's staring at the ceiling with his mouth open ("I love the shiny music that descends from overhead"), not paying attention to the fretboard

I'm seeing them on July 22nd at the fantastically renovated Forum here in Los Angeles, curious to hear what Trey is going to show up.
    ...or you could love

Phish lives or dies based on how Trey plays. I haven't heard the Friday or Saturday shows yet, but there's definitely been some less-than-stellar moments from him this tour. What cracks me up is when I hear a bad patch in his playing, I'm almost certain it's because of one of two things:

1) He's just finished singing and then looks down at his pedal board to change the sound and forgets that whole "play the notes correctly" thing
    2) He's staring at the ceiling with his mouth open ("I love the shiny music that descends from overhead"), not paying attention to the fretboard

I'm seeing them on July 22nd at the fantastically renovated Forum here in Los Angeles, curious to hear what Trey is going to show up.

That makes sense. I do really love the more drone, funk space jams they've fallen into. If Trey can't play a tune, then they should drop it. I'd be just fine at a show where they played new tunes, Mama Dance, Ghost, 46 Days etc. and a ton of stuff from that haunted house thing. That was the best thing they've done since A Ghost is Born IMHO. Not to mention how prolific Trey has been in writing the poppy type tunes. That is pretty cool.

With Jerry, I guess we just put up with is fuck ups. It was just cool to be in a room with him. It did get pretty bad in the end. He was just another type of guitar player...not as virtuosic as Trey. I guess I just don't expect Trey to screw up. Those fugue prog tunes are damn hard if not practiced fairly regularly.

Syracuse streams happening now; great first set so far.
    video- https://www.periscope.tv/w/1dRJZVdZNaMJB (rail view)
    audio- http://mixlr.com/sunspotradio/

Lakeview Amphitheater
    Syracuse, NY
    July 10, 2016
    Show Time: 7:30 PM EDT

Set 1 Start: 8:16 PM EDT

Set 1:
    The Landlady
    Blaze On
    (Trey tells us Fish is from Syracuse!)
    Ha Ha Ha
    Friends
    Tube
    Destiny Unbound >
    My Friend, My Friend
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Phantastic show at our new venue, Lakeview Ampitheater last night here in Syracuse. Fishman's home town reunion was fun.

Never got into Phish at all. Tried but got bored rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Never got into Phish at all. Tried but got bored rather quickly.
    +1 --- personally I never got the appeal but then again - what I usually listen to does that to most people too. :P

Just listened to 7/3/16. Yikes!

For those of you who tried Phish in the past listen to Rift or Lawnboy and try to ignore the silly. There is some epic prog there.

Terrific show at the awesome Gorge last night, had a lot of fun watching it:

I went there in 2009, the first night was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Too bad I can't stand camping or walking three miles from a parking lot to the venue, I might have made an effort to go again this year.
    ...or you could love

Too bad I can't stand camping or walking three miles from a parking lot to the venue, I might have made an effort to go again this year.

Those days are over for me too. Too bad. In my 20s I would've done anything to get to a Dead/Phish show.

This is a pretty solid show. The band sticks to what they do best in 3.0, then comes the Rift. Basically ok, but, of course, Trey F's up his solo and really doesn't play it the same anymore. I just can't get over that for some reason. My issue, I know.
    Last edited by zumacraig; 07-16-2016 at 06:27 PM.