Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Phish?

Mexico run sold-out quickly.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Epic doesn't even start to describe it!

I'm at MSG for a while starting tomorrow. Anyone else going?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Normally I'd pay for the HD transmission on my computer, but I'm very poor, I can't justify it. Hopefully one of the audio only streaming sites has it available.
    ...or you could love

Pretty average setlist for last night:

Set 1: Sample in a Jar, Free, Simple > Back on the Train, Waiting All Night, 555, Roggae, The Dogs > 46 Days
    Set 2: Chalk Dust Torture > Ghost > Can't Always Listen[1] > Ghost > Waves > Bathtub Gin > Mike's Song > Bouncing Around the Room > Weekapaug Groove -> What's the Use? > Weekapaug Groove
    Encore: Character Zero

Still three more shows in the run, would love to hear some new material in the mix.

Still my favorite NYE stunt, I watched this on the HD stream, it was amazing to see "live":

Meatstick is one of the songs I'm chasing to hear live, maybe when they tour in 2016.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post

Still three more shows in the run, would love to hear some new material in the mix.
    I'm OK with that above setlist. The last time Phish sprung new material on me in concert was that dreadful Halloween show in Atlantic City when they played their whole yet-to-be-released album and only two songs on it were any good. It scarred me so much that I haven't seen them since.

Interesting "Chalk Dust" last night where Fishman thought they were ending the song at the usual spot after the final chorus, but Trey kept it going into a murky jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Pretty average setlist for last night:
    I tuned in late, but thought the Gin and Weekapaug > WTU > Weekapaug was pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Phish is a live band that releases studio recordings every now and then. Huge fan here. Seen them dozens of times. To me, they are more akin to the Dixie Dregs then the Dead. That's if the Dregs had jammed out their tunes in concert. Trey is a monster on guitar, but not enough is said about the rest of the band. Page on keys is not an Emerson or Wakeman, but can be compared to a T Lavitz (RIP) per se. Mike Gordon lays a solid bass line down and drives some fierce rhythms along with Jon Fishman on drums. Solid competent playing, different sets every night. I have been leaving live stream links to their current tour on the NP thread. Typically http://mixlr.com/phishfiend/ or http://mixlr.com/the-kush-bush/ or via hoodstream.com (yas-arakawa). Many people are more discouraged by their fan base or "lot" scene than they are in the band themselves I've found over the years. Whatever. So much life in the crowd. This is a talented lot whose lyrics bear a resemblance to early Yes or Genesis or Steely Dan. Quirky fun. They inducted Genesis into the RRHoF for what it's worth.

Audio of most recent set-
    Huge fan also, since mid-'90's. Now that Trey has gotten sober, & they are older & without the chaos backstage, only family are allowed now. They just get better & better & it's the cleanest, most polished sound I've ever heard. Now that I'm older & get maybe 1 show a year in instead of the countless times I got most in the 2000's, they still can't disappoint me. It's fun, pretty, sounds that just flow. I've read that Genesis is 1 of their top influences, I have always thought they should cover Three Sides Live (like the DVD) for a short run...like they did with The White Album. They could pull off a jaw dropping In This Cage->Afterglow. I hear a lot of Phish in both those songs.

In 2009, Phish did a festival at Coachella. It was over Halloween and there was a lot of speculation about what the musical costume was going to be. The way the parking lots were set up was that each one had an album title. They were

Larks Tongues in Aspic
    Hunky Dory
    Purple Rain
    Electric Ladyland
    Kid A
    Exile on Main St.
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

I was hoping for either Lark Tongues in Aspic or Electric Ladyland because they would leave a lot of room for improv, but they ended up doing Exile on Main St., my least favorite album of all of those (and I think Let it Bleed and especially Sticky Fingers are much better Stones albums). I left during the "first side" and went to a beer tent , I've never listened to that set.

The four show MSG run seems to be pretty safe musically, but on to 2016. Again, I hope they bust out some new songs, I'm a little bored with the 90's-centric setlists. I love the Round Room and especially Joy albums, I wish they'd play the songs from them more.
    ...or you could love

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Despite having been friends with Fishman years ago (sorry to keep mentioning that), my knowledge of Phish is very limited. What do you mean, Jeremy, by the musical costume, and the parking lots set up by album?

Also, what was the period during which Trey's drug use affected the band's output? I remember the breakup and reformation, but not the years.

I only own one Phish album: New Year's Eve 1995. What do you folks think of that one?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Despite having been friends with Fishman years ago (sorry to keep mentioning that), my knowledge of Phish is very limited. What do you mean, Jeremy, by the musical costume, and the parking lots set up by album?

Also, what was the period during which Trey's drug use affected the band's output? I remember the breakup and reformation, but not the years.

I only own one Phish album: New Year's Eve 1995. What do you folks think of that one?
    Phish generally covers a full album by a band for one of the sets at their Halloween shows.

Usually for the festivals they put on, they have wacky names for the various parking lots and camping areas. Since that particular festival was held over Halloween, they named them after potential albums they would be covering to keep the fans guessing and discussing up until that night.

Their drug use started to really affect the shows starting in 1998-2000, and again after they reformed in 2002-2004. I don't think it was just Trey, watching/listening to their last 2004 gig before the split it seems as though Page McConnell is pretty fucked up too. I don't recommend listening to Coventry 2004, it's sloppy and pretty pathetic at how far they had fallen.

NYE 1995 is arguably their best release and one of the best shows they ever played. If I could only choose one Phish album, it'd be that one (A Live One comes close though).

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    95% of Phish fans probably won't recognize that they play prog material so no, I wouldn't count Phish as helping prog be more popular. And while Phish has a very loyal hardcore following, they aren't popular in the way that bands who are on the radio are popular. Phish' only radio-play song was Down with Disease. They just couldn't get a break to get on mainstream radio.

I've been a Phish fan since a friend of mine turned me on to them in 1993 or 94 (around the time of Rift). Junta is their most prog-oriented album and since then, many of their albums have some prog songs (Reba, Guyute, My Friend My Friend) or prog influenced songs, but not like Junta. But really, their non-record songs include a lot of prog - Punch You In The Eye, about half of Gamehenge (Lizards, Tela, Col Forbin>Mockingbird), Brother, Curtain, Harry Hood. Those are the real gems of the Phish catalog.

Favorite albums?
    1. Junta
    2. Lawn Boy
    3. Rift
    4. Billy Breathes

I haven't heard Fuego. I was disappointed by Joy in spite of the wonderful and long Time Turns Elastic. But I'll check out Fuego if someone is insisting its their best ever.
    LOVE Brother, listened to that song few days ago

What mike_hunt wrote. I went to see the Coventry concerts in a theater in San Diego, it was just sad to see how screwed up Trey was, how the whole thing was just a shadow of their glory years of 1992-1997. There's a few good points (the Walls of the Cave, Pebbles and Marbles) but to have to stop Slave to the Traffic Light and start again because they'd screwed it up so badly was just sad.

I thought that was the end of Phish, I'm so glad they came back in 2009, my jaw hit the floor when the first song they played at the first show back was Fluffhead and they nailed it. I've seen them 21 times, my favorite shows are 6/19/04 in Saratoga Springs (Reba opener! 35 minute Piper!) and 8/7/09 at The Gorge (the whole second set & encore of The Moma Dance, Light -> Taste, Fluffhead, Joy, Bathtub Gin > Harry Hood, Encore: Slave to the Traffic Light was incredible).

At Festival 8 (the one at Coachella), there were flyers announcing the Halloween musical costume, they were passed out in the afternoon. A lot of people were disappointed with the choice, it was felt to be an album that left little-to-no room for improv, which was the case. Larks Tongues in Aspic would have been perfect *sigh*

Yes, NYE 1995 is a great show (the first set is killer), but I knock a few points off it because while the Phish Time Machine bit for the stroke of midnight is fun to watch, it's a chore to listen to.

I was disappointed by Joy in spite of the wonderful and long Time Turns Elastic. But I'll check out Fuego if someone is insisting its their best ever
    I love the Joy album, I think it's their best studio album. Ah, Time Turns Elastic, a set killer if there ever was one! It's their last great prog epic, but it was hilarious when at the 8/5/09 Shorline show, within seconds of it starting, people started talking, getting up to get refreshments etc. I think the album is really strong, it has straight-ahead rockers that have become jam vehicles like Backwards Down the Number Line, Ocelot and Light, solid songwriting (Joy, Twenty Years Later and Time Turns Elastic) and not a bad song on it.

No, Fuego isn't their "best ever" (see above) but it's still a solid effort that has some really good songs on it.
    ...or you could love

They call the album they cover a musical "costume?" Funny.

Wonderful run of shows. As mentioned, no real surprises in the setlists, perhaps "The Lizards" on the final night as an encore leading into Tweezer Reprise.
    IMG_20151230_224603.jpg1451624124773.jpg
    But still, great stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed myself

I think, after a few failed attempts to get into Phish, I've finally succeeded! After reading something (maybe here?) I on a whim ordered the 7DVD boxed set The Clifford Ball, and today watched the 1st "documentary" section, about the festival, and I really enjoyed finding out about this festival - the logistics seemed pretty interesting. They say it was the first festival on that scale in a long time, which is probably true - the crowd looked MASSIVE. But this is around the same time Marillion was starting to do their weekends, and Marillion followed the example of The Stranglers, who had done something similar before. In any case, it was very interesting to watch the docu.

Then I watched DVD 1, the first set from day 1 of the two-day festival, and I really enjoyed the music. It helped to look up each song on Phish.net and read the "history" of it. It also helped a lot to SEE the band, because I had only tried with CDs before, and really didn't know any of the members aside from Fishman. (I don't want to belabor the point, but I was friends with Fishman long ago, saw the band at Wetlands in NYC once very early on, and also saw them on Letterman again fairly early on, and that is really all that I'd ever SEEN of the band.) I did also know what Trey looked like because he was in the news a bit back in his "troubled" days. But I'd never really seen Mike Gordon, and now I realize what a big part of the band he was too, and also didn't really even know about Page McConnell on keyboards, and he does some GREAT stuff on there.

So anyway, I feel like the band finally clicked for me. I remember watching them on Letterman all those years ago and hoping I'd be blown away by them, but a short spot like that really isn't an opportunity for them to shine.

I almost feel like I had them a bit confused with Umphrey's - I sort of bogusly attributed Umphrey's questionable vocals to Phish. Not sure why. But I do like Umphrey's somewhat too, and in fact am seeing them at the Beacon Theater this weekend.

So I'm psyched to finally GET Phish. Sure took me long enough, considering I used to party with Fishman back in the early 80s! Back when he was still in high school... My favorite memory of those days (if you can call it that) is drinking too much Amaretto in his living room, then vomiting in his parent's bathroom. Sorry, Mr and Mrs Fishman!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-20-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Wow, Jed, you have a lot to discover. I know you love the Dead too, and if you really dive into Phish you'll find tons of amazing live recordings to keep you occupied. One of my all time favorite bands, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Wow, Jed, you have a lot to discover. I know you love the Dead too, and if you really dive into Phish you'll find tons of amazing live recordings to keep you occupied. One of my all time favorite bands, for sure.
    Yeah, they seem to have a lot of cool releases - I just ordered the Amsterdam boxed set, and also the first four or so studio albums - used, cheap CDs. Should be fun!

Nothing like seeing them live. Or "couch touring" them if need be. So many shows are on youtube. Never a shortage of material to dive into. Here's the end of their great first set this past weekend in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But I do like Umphrey's somewhat too, and in fact am seeing them at the Beacon Theater this weekend.
    I think you'll like what you see/hear from @Umphrey's.
    If you see a guy walking around this evening at the Beacon wearing a Hatfield & the North shirt, please introduce yourself...that would be me.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    I think you'll like what you see/hear from @Umphrey's.
    If you see a guy walking around this evening at the Beacon wearing a Hatfield & the North shirt, please introduce yourself...that would be me.
    I saw them once before - at whatever the Best Buy Theater was called then. Nokia? I definitely liked what I saw, because a beautiful young girl standing at the seat right in front of me was gyrating her butt nonstop the entire show. It was crazy funny.

Phish Summer 2016 Tourdates

06/22 Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN
    06/24 Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    06/25 Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    06/26 Klipsch Music Center, Noblesville, IN
    06/28 The Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA
    06/29 The Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA
    07/01 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
    07/02 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
    07/03 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
    07/07 Cross Insurance Arena, Portland, ME
    07/08 Xfinity Center, Mansfield, MA
    07/09 Xfinity Theatre, Hartford, CT
    07/10 Lakeview Amphitheater, Syracuse, NY
    07/15 Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA
    07/16 Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA
    07/17 Gorge Amphitheatre, George, WA
    07/18 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
    07/19 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
    07/20 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
    07/22 The Forum, Inglewood, CA
    07/23 Sleep Train Amphitheatre, Chula Vista, CA
    09/02 Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
    09/03 Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
    09/04 Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

Space Cadet
    I'll be in for one of the Philly shows...just wish it was over a the weekend! The next day is always a bear.

Phish was my biggest influence as a teenager. I saw around 40 shows from the mid-90's to about 2001. Great jam band, and awesome extended instrumentals! I do believe their earliest stuff is their greatest material, as they were very bold and experimental back when they were originally blowing up. I don't care for their recent music so much, however, as they tend to do a lot of Pop and teenage-girl music... and I haven't seen them since they came back from their break(up) - although I hear they are sounding fantastic live. Phish may have some easy listening pop (that I dislike), but they are all phenomenal improvisers, and really do have an impactful and progressive way of taking a simple solo, and building an amazing jam with it. I love all the early albums from Junta to Rift, and my favorite tunes are all from Gamehendge (only live)...

Colonel Forbin anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk